100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron tarmactrr is on a distinguished road

First the PR-20, now the Par2Pro HQ Raw screen fail

I don't know what to do about screens. After a fraying issue with the PR20 from hitting hundreds of wedges into the same spot on the screen, I switched to the HQ Raw from Par 2 Pro.

Now I've managed to put a hole through that screen with a 3 wood. (165mph ball speed)

Spoke with Corey and he won't warranty is because it's on the bottom of the screen where the seem is.

So I need a new screen. What other options do I have left? I won't do another HQ raw screen considering I don't think they are strong enough to withstand my ballspeeds.

I'm tempted to just do another PR20 and just constantly rotate the net around, at least that one didn't actually break.

Pic of the hole in the HQ Raw.

Any other screen options I'm not considering?

Should also add with my limited space, the bounceback of the HQ screen was much worse than the PR20. Most shots would send the ball back flying into my drywall back behind my hitting area. So also looking for something with better bounce back.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like your screen was too tight. Get a memory foam mattress and hang directly behind next screen.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Sounds like your screen was too tight. Get a memory foam mattress and hang directly behind next screen.
    I seriously doubt it. It has less tension than yours from what I've seen in your vid. It was setup the same as the PR20, and I think that's part of the reason for the bounce back as the HQ screen has virtually no weight to it, so it acts more like a rubber band than a buffer.

Also the tear occured at the bottom where there is nothing other than a lead line. There is no bungees pulling it tight in that area.

I would get Cory to send a small 1ft square piece to sew on it at the moment, install memory foam 2 inch thick immediately behind screen and see if it happens again before spending $ elsewhere. Do you have bungees on side?

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    So the screen is under warranty except for the seems? That's some BS.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I agree with CPA. Cory can you help him out?

I would get Cory to send a small 1ft square piece to sew on it at the moment, install memory foam 2 inch thick immediately behind screen and see if it happens again before spending $ elsewhere. Do you have bungees on side?
    I have some extra material left over. Problem is if the material likes to rip on the seams when you sew it, then adding another piece of material isn't going to make it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
    So the screen is under warranty except for the seems? That's some BS.
    Well I understand his logic. He sells the raw material, not the fininshing. Problem is it seems that finishing it weakens the material where the seems are. He stated he's seen this problem before with it. While I shouldn't have issues with impacting seems on the majority of the net, my 3 woods off the mat aren't reaching high enough off the ground after the 7 feet of distance before impacting the net, so it impacts just above the area where the leadline is, which is only a few inches up from the ground.

Here a vid comparison of bounceback between the PR20 and the HQ Raw.

PR20 with an 8 iron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoclPMoJqAY

and a 7 iron and 3 iron on the HQ Raw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcjAWgdgEcA

Well I'm going to try to patch it just for the time being, but I'll be on the look out for something better. It's setup with a track rail on the top, bungees on the side, and a leadline at the bottom.

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, but he advertises the material as a way to create your own custom sizes yourself. It's ridiculous to think that people aren't going to sew the edges. I know that he will do the sewing for you for an added cost. Would the seems that he creates be under warranty then? Furthermore, if he is aware that this material fails at the seems, that should most certainly be disclosed. Looking at that picture, that is a big hole, not just some little tear at the seem. Personally, I'd be ** off.

Quote Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
    Yeah, but he advertises the material as a way to create your own custom sizes yourself. It's ridiculous to think that people aren't going to sew the edges. I know that he will do the sewing for you for an added cost. Would the seems that he creates be under warranty then? Furthermore, if he is aware that this material fails at the seems, that should most certainly be disclosed. Looking at that picture, that is a big hole, not just some little tear at the seem. Personally, I'd be ** off.
    Yah I see that point too. The other thing is the seem itself is not ripping, only the material by the seem. That to me means that either sewing the material weakens it, or the seam doesn't allow the material to stretch, which in turn means it rips because of it. Either way its been a bit of a downer as I thought the material was supposed to be able to hold 200+mph... and I really doubt that claim now, at least not repeatedly.

I am sure Cory will now put a warning in the package about sewing and no responsibility. The ripping issue would be determined by the use of a bag needle to sew, amount of times rolled over before sewing etc. I do not have anything on the bottom, it hangs loose which now may be the best option as no other seam gets hits near it at those speeds.
    If you need lead weights I suggest glue on the bottom seam rather than sewing, although this may be causing the bounceback. My HQ screen is nearly 2 years old without issue.(touch wood)

I am sure Cory will now put a warning in the package about sewing and no responsibility. The ripping issue would be determined by the use of a bag needle to sew, amount of times rolled over before sewing etc. I do not have anything on the bottom, it hangs loose which now may be the best option as no other seam gets hits near it at those speeds.
    If you need lead weights I suggest glue on the bottom seam rather than sewing, although this may be causing the bounceback. My HQ screen is nearly 2 years old without issue.(touch wood)
    Well that warning won't help me... out almost $300 for a screen.

How did you finish the bottom if you don't mind me asking. You at least did somethign to account for the frayed ends of the raw material correct?

The edge has a standard finish like all roll materials which stops it from fraying. Didn't touch it.

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar
    Hey All,

I didn't get the post notice about this thread, so just found it now...

OK, so here is the deal with warranty on impact screens - it is not just because of the sewing, but because we can't control what is done with the screen after it is purchased...
    - were there cracked / chipped balls being used with the screen?
    - when it was sewn together did the sewing maching tear the screen?
    - is the mounting method correct (tensioned too high, wrong materials like pipe, etc.)?
    - other factors such as installation, washing, etc.

All that being said, I offered tarmactrr a replacement screen at 1/2 price or a custom screen at a discounted price.

This was only 1 of 2 screens that I have know to ever have ripped that fast and the other screen was ripped due to a sewing issue.

I will always try to do my best to make sure my clients are happy - it is just hard to warranty something that has factors beyond my control.

Thread Information