CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My golf swing

1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar

My golf swing

http://youtu.be/6pKLSVgxg3Q

I have a wierd backswing, always have never fixed it. But, I correct all the issues when I come down at the ball and get a pure contact every time.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    My golf swing 3.1 Handicap . A lot of folks would trade that swing to get to your handicap
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    My golf swing 3.1 Handicap . A lot of folks would trade that swing to get to your handicap
    Not a lot of folks practice as much as me haha

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savosean View Post
    http://youtu.be/6pKLSVgxg3Q

I have a wierd backswing, always have never fixed it.
    Don't worry, there are plenty of wierd swings on tour.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    3.1, whereabouts do you play?

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    "Pure contact every time." You must be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    3.1, whereabouts do you play?
    I had a membership at the restigouche in New Brunswick, only got back in Ottawa before the school semester. No no course in particular here

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    "Pure contact every time." You must be pretty good.
    Well of course I can't say every time, but I am fairly consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Don't worry, there are plenty of wierd swings on tour.
    haha, that is true...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by savosean View Post
    I have a wierd backswing, always have never fixed it. But, I correct all the issues when I come down at the ball and get a pure contact every time.
    What is you normal ball flight and when you do miss, if you do, is it left or right.

The strong/under right hand grip and a club face that faces the sky at the top suggests a hook, but the blocking motion at impact could compensate for those two characteristics.

Yea, so my normal ball flight is a straight ball with a draw of about 2-5 yards not much at all.

But, my miss hit is pretty massive hook.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    10 finger grip too?

Yes, I don't interlock...

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    Hey savosean. First off, thanks for sharing your swing videos. I checked out your YouTube channel & saw your other swing videos as well.

In this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYDXbV6OnQ), I noticed at the beginning of your takeaway, you "c0ck" the clubhead back before your hands even move. Is this a trigger you focus on in particular? I'm no where near a 3.1 hcp & am genuinely curious.
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

I do not exactly focus on that, its more of just a fluent movement that I have been doing for the last few years. Just became a habit, I am no swing analysis therefore I cannot comment on what it does to my swing but what I can say is my swing is certainly not a conventional one and it most certainly is not something anyone should incorporate within there own swing. I do have a good ball and a very consistent one with this swing, but I am certainly always trying to improve it by studying the swing more and more.

I believe Brandt Snedeker has the same "clubhead-first move". Anyone else have any input as to its effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chi View Post
    I believe Brandt Snedeker has the same "clubhead-first move". Anyone else have any input as to its effects?
    I am going to check it out, but yea hopefully someone else can give us some insight on what it is doing to my swing...

Dustin Johnson is another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMbr_3WzAG0

Gap Wedge cheezemaster is on a distinguished road
    try to learn the classic swing if any. the modern swing causes injuries. the classic is what the old golfers used like bobby jones sam snead and mike austin. study them and not someone like tiger woods who changes his swing a million times a month.

Tiger woods does not change his swing a lot, he has changed it only when he received injuries. And/or when he gets a new swing coach.
    8 Handicap , lover of golf and a amateur comedian

i apologize my mistake. anyway i believe the classic swing is much easier to use. ive noticed alot more hip rotation on the backswing in the classic, but thats the only difference ive noticed. mike austin had a lot of hip rotation going back. as well as bobby jones and all old time golfers. it has to be easier than turning your shoulders against your hips. it hurts too thats why i don't do it. it causes injuries to your lower backl and other parts of your body.

I receive injuries to my back, but that's okay cause you need to workout and strengthen it so you can continue to generate power and not be injured

i havent reciveved any injuries because i hate the modern swing. its stupid. no other sports motion on earth has you turning your shoulders against your hips and holding a wrist angle on the way down. i want to learn the classic swing but first i need to know the differences. seems as though the classic motion is much better for your back and you don't have to be a musclehead to generate power. at least this is what ive noticed. the classic motion is much simpler and must be better for consistency.

I tried the modern swing and it gave me no distance no accuracy and it flat out hurt. so i gave it up. now im on the search for a better motion.

Its not ok to injure yourself by the way. if it hurts stop doing it. pain is the bodys way of protecting itself from injury. it doesn't generate any power nor consistency. the modern swing is plain stupid.

By the way if you injure your back too much then you wont be able to play golf in your 60s.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Cheeze, have you tried the stack and tilt?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

actually ive never heard of that. is it a modern swing method?

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezemaster View Post
    actually ive never heard of that. is it a modern swing method?
    C'mon coach...you never heard of the stack and tilt? How 'bout the 'clean and jerk' or the 'pump and dump'?

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Using the video clip from 0:43 to 0:50...

You take the club back a little flat and closed but you're close to plane for the most part. During the back swing the right elbow stays next to the body, but at the top of the back swing it begins to drift too far from the body creating a lot of space (watch from 46.525 to 46.765) and you'll see what I mean by space. This is where the problems begin for you and they are certainly fixable!

At the start of the down swing you re-route the club path (between 46.726 seconds and 46.809) into a pretty steep swing plane. At 46.850 you can see just how vertical that swing plan has become as a result of the re-routed swing plane. At 46.940 seconds as a result of that steeper swing plane you get jammed up and are now forced to catch up with the lower body to get out of your way at impact (which by the way you do a really good job of, 47.018 seconds). This is just a move that will cause inconsistencies in the ball striking.

It's not all bad news...

You do manage to get the club back to square (at least from the behind camera view) having a face on camera may show a different story. And there's a good move at the ball to time everything up. Now I'm guessing as a result of the steeper swing plane matched with a relatively strong looking grip the two work against each other and the ball flight is relatively straight. If you take any of those suggestions about flattening out the swing plane, you'll most likely see your ball flight moving more left the grip will have to be addressed at that time.

I've worked in the golf industry for about 10 years now and I certainly do not and will never know all there is to a golf swing but I hope you find success in your search and that you make it to a + index one day. It's taken me a while to reach a +3 again, but the game is so much more fun here.

Quote Originally Posted by calleygolf View Post
    Using the video clip from 0:43 to 0:50...

You take the club back a little flat and closed but you're close to plane for the most part. During the back swing the right elbow stays next to the body, but at the top of the back swing it begins to drift too far from the body creating a lot of space (watch from 46.525 to 46.765) and you'll see what I mean by space. This is where the problems begin for you and they are certainly fixable!

At the start of the down swing you re-route the club path (between 46.726 seconds and 46.809) into a pretty steep swing plane. At 46.850 you can see just how vertical that swing plan has become as a result of the re-routed swing plane. At 46.940 seconds as a result of that steeper swing plane you get jammed up and are now forced to catch up with the lower body to get out of your way at impact (which by the way you do a really good job of, 47.018 seconds). This is just a move that will cause inconsistencies in the ball striking.

It's not all bad news...

You do manage to get the club back to square (at least from the behind camera view) having a face on camera may show a different story. And there's a good move at the ball to time everything up. Now I'm guessing as a result of the steeper swing plane matched with a relatively strong looking grip the two work against each other and the ball flight is relatively straight. If you take any of those suggestions about flattening out the swing plane, you'll most likely see your ball flight moving more left the grip will have to be addressed at that time.

I've worked in the golf industry for about 10 years now and I certainly do not and will never know all there is to a golf swing but I hope you find success in your search and that you make it to a + index one day. It's taken me a while to reach a +3 again, but the game is so much more fun here.
    I appreciate it so much that you took the time to check this out for me, I enjoyed the read and will certainly work on some of these things to improve my consistency.

Thanks,
    sav

Pitching Wedge Be-Com is on a distinguished road
    calleygolf what do you use to slow down the video so much to see that information

Thread Information