CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    1. Break 70 once
    2. Pracice more than i play (for once lol)
    3. Assuming I live up to #2, improve the short short game (inside 25)
    4. 100+ rounds
    most improtantly
    5. Stop buying new golf stuff, clubs, bags, gadgets etc...it's getting crazy

oh, and getting rid of the 'blow up' hole would be nice

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    well, it took about 3 minutes, but i broke goal #5 by deciding to buy a yardage lazer...

oh well, 4 more can still hold up

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Just a beginner so:

1) Consistantly break 100.
    2) Shoot at least 1 score in the 90-95 range.
    3) Play smarter, (know when to lay up or pitch out to safety and when to go for it).
    4) Less 3 and 4 putts.
    5) Turn doubles and triples into singles or better.
    6) More pars.
    7) Learn how to get up and down from a bunker.
    8) Enjoy every game I play regardless if I accomplish the above targets...golf is a game for life.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    8) Enjoy every game I play regardless if I accomplish the above targets...golf is a game for life.
    Amen Hank. Amen.

BTW - If you want some help with #7 let me know. Are you joining the OG Tour this year?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Amen Hank. Amen.

BTW - If you want some help with #7 let me know. Are you joining the OG Tour this year?
    I won't be joing the OG tour this year, but may consider it next year if I improve my consitancy.

Thanks for the offer of help. In the mean time do you have any pointers for (more) effective sand play?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    I won't be joing the OG tour this year, but may consider it next year if I improve my consitancy.

Thanks for the offer of help. In the mean time do you have any pointers for (more) effective sand play?
    Sure thing Hank. (Dan, I know this should probably be in the 'instruction' thread, but he asked here. )

1) Your main goal when playing out of a greenside bunker is to get the ball out of the trap and on to the green. Anywhere on the green. Even it means that you have to aim away from the hole. If you’re not comfortable playing from the sand to begin with, this thought is so much less stressful than having to worry about landing the ball in a particular spot. Now your target is so much larger.

2) 9 out of 10 times a bunker shot requires at least a ¾ to full swing. Even though you may only be a short distance from the hole, not only do you have to move a 1.6 oz. ball, you have to displace up to 10 times the ball’s weight in sand too. Don’t be afraid to accelerate in to the sand, the ball will not go nearly as far as you think.

3) Dig your feet in. You need a solid base to swing from. This is pretty much the only place on the course that you can “build” a stance without breaking the rules. Take advantage. Also remember that if you’re standing level to the ball, or it is above your feet, choke down a bit on your club to allow for the depth that you’ve dug your feet in.

4) Your target is not the ball, it is a spot 1-2 inches behind the ball. Set up for your shot so that your body line is aimed at a spot about 15º left of your actual target (for a right-handed golfer) with the ball slightly more forward in your stance than normal. (Remember, your impact spot is 1-2 inches behind the ball.) Now rotate the face of your club open so that the leading edge is pointing at the actual target when you address the ball. You do this to increase the bounce on the underside of the club. This helps push sand out of the way so that your club will not get stuck in the sand. Don’t rotate your wrists to do this. Use your normal grip with the clubface open to the right.

5) Ready to swing. Take your normal swing, aiming to hit the spot in the sand just behind the ball. Make sure you remember to accelerate in to the sand and follow through. One thing that all good sand players have in common is the ability to produce a “whump” sound when the club hits the sand. This is a good sign that you are accelerating through the ball. As you get more comfortable just getting the ball back in to play, you can experiment with other types of shots from the sand, but remember your #1 goal – Get the ball on the green.

Have fun.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Cheers Lobwedge, these pointers are nice and simple and in plain english. I can't wait tp try them out.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Dan!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No problem. Asking / answering questions within a thread is fine.

For clarity..
    Just don't let a secondary issue change the topic of a thread. Start a new thread if you have a few questions. Put a link in the existing thread so people can follow if interested. You may also want to put a link in the new thread so people can look back.

"Richard"
    First goal was to get new clubs, I hated my taylormade RAC OS. My second goal was to break 100 while counting all my shots and penalties and playing it where it lands, not like last year and I did that when I shot a 96 at the canadian two days ago. 3rd goal...to play 10 rounds this year... I did that in the first two weeks since the courses opened so i guess I have to change that to 40 rounds. 4th goal... Either par 4 holes in one round or birdie two holes in one roud... or two pars and one birdie And finally to have a game with less 40 putts this year

Sand Wedge davemiddle is on a distinguished road
    to reduce my average putts per round by about 2 and to practice putting 30-60 min per week
    play more competive golf if possible

3 Iron Longball is on a distinguished road Longball's Avatar
    Just checking in to see if anyone has been able to reach any of there goals for this year ? I was able to shoot my personel best last Thursday at Emerald Links (South/West) 78. My goal for this year was to be able to get in the 70's by my 10th-15th round but I did it in my 5th.

"Richard"
    First goal was to get new clubs, I hated my taylormade RAC OS. My second goal was to break 100 while counting all my shots and penalties and playing it where it lands, not like last year and I did that when I shot a 96 at the canadian two days ago. 3rd goal...to play 10 rounds this year... I did that in the first two weeks since the courses opened so i guess I have to change that to 40 rounds. 4th goal... Either par 4 holes in one round or birdie two holes in one roud... or two pars and one birdie And finally to have a game with less 40 putts this year

I did all these this year time for new goals

"Richard"
    to shoot a round in the high 80's
    to have less than 35 putts in a round
    get rid of my slice

I think those are pretty resonable goals for the year

6 Iron Wedge61 is on a distinguished road
    Goals:

1. To not feel like puking every time I compete in the intersectionals or the St. Lawrence.
    2. To not care if I F--- up a shot.
    3. To never again "chunk" a chip off a tight lie.
    4. To relax, and remember that I like this game
    5. To stay in red numbers for at least 9 holes.
    6. To make my friends laugh, with or at me, and not care enough to distinguish the two.
    7. To break 70 once.

Cheers Goalseekers!

Gap Wedge KJP is on a distinguished road KJP's Avatar
    Hey W61 ...

Good news - at least you won't be wearing the "white shoes" at the St. Lawrence this year!

Instructions for breaking 70 ... quit after 16 holes.

Cheers Buddy!

kjp

6 Iron Wedge61 is on a distinguished road
    Ouch!

May the shoes be with you, KJP.

I actually tried to feed them to my Jack Russell, but she didn't want any part of them either, even though she was chewing the bejesus out of everything else.

Gap Wedge KJP is on a distinguished road KJP's Avatar
    KJP Goals for 2005

1. Make and play well on the Intersectional and St. Lawrence Teams.
    2. Not play with Dr. Strange Glove ... again. (Inside Joke!)
    3. Not win the #%^!@@ white shoes!

Number 3 could be tough!

Pressures On.

KJP

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Goals for 2005:

1) Improve consistency and confidence.
    2) Beat my best at greens, fairways and low score.
    3) More birdies and eagles.
    4) Have fun, let go of the bad shots.
    5) Have people compliment me on how my kids play and behave on the course.

....if I can do this, the rest will come (back in the case of my money ).
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Thread Information