CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar

New Vs Used Golf Balls

Hey, always wanted to know why people buy brand new golf balls now. When there are these amazing deals on ebay for 100+ mint condition golf balls for 1/4 of the price of a brand new one.

They play like new, and still look new.

Why spend 56$+ dollars on a dozen of proV1's when you can get 100 prov1's mint for 150$ ?

What is your reason for sticking with new golf balls?

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    The balls could have been under water for a couple of years. Or just being left out over the winter and freezing solid may affect how the ball plays. Balls, like in life, you get what you pay for.

As a side note, I SHOULD be buying recycled balls because of my skill level, but there is something nice about getting a ball fresh out of the sleeve. (Even if it's lifespan is about 20 seconds as I pump it into the forest...)

I have been purchasing the AAAAA/MINT Condition Pro V1's from EBay, for the last 2 years and I have not noticed a difference in performance from a brand new ball and these ones. I have even tested my the theories before purchasing another pack of recycled balls. But, most of the balls that I get just have logo's on them, but are literally brand new looking and feel brand new.

I sugest giving them a shot, I understand that feeling when you open up a new pack of golf balls and you just hold it in your hand and it looks so damn beautiful. But, it also adds a mental factor for players who are not mentally strong and who have a high handicap. There scared to waste and lose there new ball, but when they buy those horse golf balls at wal-mart they don't care if they lose them and seems to play much better as well.

BTW, appreciate the response love hearing from people and getting to know there reasons for doing certain things

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    I buy recycled mint golf balls from Knetgolf. They are apparently from desert courses so never see water. They look, feel and play as brand new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    I buy recycled mint golf balls from Knetgolf. They are apparently from desert courses so never see water. They look, feel and play as brand new to me.
    I think I am getting mine from the same company, well that is what there name is on ebay. Great golf balls

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I bought balls from knetgolf for a couple of years but now I just buy them from Walmart or Golftown when they are on sale or discontinued. I usually get them 50% off and they are brand new.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I have always said ---if it has dimples-hit it On the serious side-- I am Scottish and you know what that means. My handicap is 15 and I am quite happy with that and it has been a long time since I bought new balls. I don.t think in all honesty a 15 capper can really tell the difference. I like to play Pinnacle gold---don't ask me why--they just seem to work for me. I will buy them new if the price is right---15 box for 15.00 but most times it will be reloaded or recycled.....not refinished.

If the ball is scuffed badly or cut yes it will fly differently but if a recycled ball and a new ball bounce the same---I can't see the difference.

In the long run have you ever watched HOW IT IS MADE. They had a special a couple of years ago from Tietilist on how they made balls. All their balls are made in the same factory using pretty well the same machines--------------how can one ball be worth 2.00 retail and another be 7.00---the item is too small to have that much of a dollar value difference. They make 2 BILLION a year

Then you add all the other manufacturers to the mix---hell there will be good recycled balls for all of us for the rest of our lives
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Lob Wedge Euchred is on a distinguished road
    I usually buy the used RELOAD ProV1s from CTC or Wallmart when on sale for $16 (down from $20) for a dozen. Just ordered a bunch of boxes from Golftown On-Line for $9.99! UPS shipping for $9.99 for the lot. No difference in shipping if you buy 2 or 8 boxes.

http://www.golftown.com/Pro-V1-Pre-O...ls--P7712.aspx

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    bought from golf-ball planet Canada for years.. look for 15% off specials and free shipping to your door.
    nice thing about mint recycles is you don't get those annoying reminders on your VISA statement throughout the year

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Top-Flight Fan

I'm with you Big Mac, at 18hcp, can't see where used vs. new will make much difference. For me I just feel better hitting TF brand, but seems they are becoming rare. GT has even stopped selling them (Eagle) on-line as of this past month. Have to search around in places like Target, Wal-Mart and CT for their specials. May be forced to try KnetGolf. Prices seem great, even with shipping, and reviews here are all positive.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I buy manufacture blemish balls, they are new but have something wrong with the logo or color, they are about 25% of the cost of new balls and perform like new, can't beat them. I bought 6 dozen last winter and have 3 dozen left, they were Wilson Staff balls that sold for $30/dz and I paid $7.99
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I buy manufacture blemish balls, they are new but have something wrong with the logo or color, they are about 25% of the cost of new balls and perform like new, can't beat them. I bought 6 dozen last winter and have 3 dozen left, they were Wilson Staff balls that sold for $30/dz and I paid $7.99
    Not bad pretty good deal...

See I am starting to realize that most people do not use the Brand New Golf balls, and probably just get them for B-day, Christmas any holiday presents or other times.

Or they are just plan rich and able to afford ProV1's at 56$ for 12 every time they go to purchase balls

Thanks Lefty, where do you get these? Knetgolf? Or elsewhere?

I will not spend more than 30 sec looking for lost golf balls, so 1$/ball is about my limit. Gashed my leg on partially-buried barbed wire a few weeks ago and still fighting the infection, so not a big fan of off-fairway golf.

Staying in the short grass also keeps you out of Poison Ivy

Took the plunge and ordered 10 doz Mint Top-Flight D2s, $82, ship on Monday... will advise. Starter at Casselview said he's been buying there for "years" and was fully satisfied, plus saw an ad on a web site with a coupon for $10. off...

UPDATE: Delivered by UPS at 1255 hrs Sep 25, less than four days after the on-line order placed... AND they did not process order until Monday AM... Now THAT's service... I'm their new #1 Fan... until my first hook.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 09-25-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: update

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    New balls only. Bought four dozen Taylor made lethal this season, and three dozen penta 5. I seldom lose balls, and almost always find one or two during a round which I throw in a box in the garage. If I recall correctly, the Penta balls were on for $25 (half price on Boxing Day at golf town) and the lethal were two for $70 at the pro shop. I laugh when I see guys tee up roughed up old balls at private courses. I've played a round in Scottsdale where a guest used a range ball for three holes on the back nine. This on a course that was $175 after discount on ez links.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    New balls only. Bought four dozen Taylor made lethal this season, and three dozen penta 5. I seldom lose balls, and almost always find one or two during a round which I throw in a box in the garage. If I recall correctly, the Penta balls were on for $25 (half price on Boxing Day at golf town) and the lethal were two for $70 at the pro shop. I laugh when I see guys tee up roughed up old balls at private courses. I've played a round in Scottsdale where a guest used a range ball for three holes on the back nine. This on a course that was $175 after discount on ez links.
    Used golf balls, are not filled with mud. They look new, and play new. If you are playing golf with mud balls you are never going anywhere, in this game. Paying 35$ for 12 balls seems ridiculous to me, just a waste when they play the same as a mint used balls.
    8 Handicap , lover of golf and a amateur comedian

To each their own. I'm not slamming a mint used ball, however I do stand by my original post which is to say that if you can afford a $175 green fee, then it would not seem unreasonable to pick up a sleeve of new balls for $10. I'm assuming the mud balls reference is aimed at another post. At the end of the day, people may disagree with my position regarding new balls, however if nobody bought new, the market for used balls would shift significantly. Speaking of funny, same guy who gamed the scuffed ball was also drinking $10 tall cans. I will end the same way I began, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    To each their own. I'm not slamming a mint used ball, however I do stand by my original post which is to say that if you can afford a $175 green fee, then it would not seem unreasonable to pick up a sleeve of new balls for $10. I'm assuming the mud balls reference is aimed at another post. At the end of the day, people may disagree with my position regarding new balls, however if nobody bought new, the market for used balls would shift significantly. Speaking of funny, same guy who gamed the scuffed ball was also drinking $10 tall cans. I will end the same way I began, to each their own.
    I do agree, i guess...

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    Johnyc, just because a guy plays used golf balls doesn't mean he's ready to drink used beer!

I love this game but 175.00 for a round of golf--you gotta be nuts or it had better be St Andrews or Agusta

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I buy both new and used, depending on the situation.

I rarely buy new golf balls that are not on sale or at a discount. As much as I have liked the ProV1's that I have found, I do not find them 5 times better for my game than the Top Flites that I have found so I see no reason to pay 5 times more. But if I see an offer I can't refuse or I have a coupon to use, I'll pick up some new balls at GT from time to time.

My regular ball is the Bridgestone E6, which I typically buy used on Ebay from golf-ball-planet or Knet in batches of 50-100 golf balls. I don't see any real difference between them and the new ones I sometimes get at GT. However, my usual cold-weather ball is the Intech Limbo, which I get new at Canadian Tire and is actually a decent low-compression ball available at a price whereby I can afford to lose a few in the leaves (<$20 for 15 balls). At that price why wait a week and end up spending $100 to get the same cost per ball?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I love this game but 175.00 for a round of golf--you gotta be nuts or it had better be St Andrews or Agusta
    Unless you have travelled, people in this area (and I include northern NY state and western Quebec) have no appreciation for how expensive golf can be in other parts of the world. In places like Arizona, golf at $175 is higher end, but is average in relation to the courses in and around Phoenix. Thank goodness for *** and ezlinks. This is one of the main reasons why participation rates have suffered. Sorry to take this post off track, however that is the reality of our sport.

Johnyc--I have travelled quite a bit--played in Scotland--England--Arizona--Florida--Texas--Georgia--northern States--only once did I spend over 100.00---mostly in the 50.00 range and all courses in the upper range of 1 to 10. Probably 8. Yes golf is expensive but if you do your homework it is affordable---and yes we are blessed with ALL the discounters in our area.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Knet for me... buy in batches and get free shipping - had one instance where in the package they gave me something less than what I ordered. It was an obvious oversight. I called them and asked about it, not even complaining and they said right away that they would ship me double the quantity that they messed up on. I asked if they wanted the other back and they said no. Needless to say with that customer service, they have my business.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Knet for me... buy in batches and get free shipping - had one instance where in the package they gave me something less than what I ordered. It was an obvious oversight. I called them and asked about it, not even complaining and they said right away that they would ship me double the quantity that they messed up on. I asked if they wanted the other back and they said no. Needless to say with that customer service, they have my business.
    same happened to me. accidentally shipped me 3 A when I ordered mint. He told me to keep the 3 A and sent me my mint. Only people I do business with now.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    same happened to me. accidentally shipped me 3 A when I ordered mint. He told me to keep the 3 A and sent me my mint. Only people I do business with now.
    Same happened here, now I am starting to think they attempt at sending less good quality balls and attempt to scam the less educated.

Thankfully, I was not fooled and received the balls I did not get at the right quality sent to me without having to return the other ones. And they upgraded the quality of my golf balls to the highest grade.

Thread Information