CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge chollyred is on a distinguished road

Tampa Bay Recommendations?

Hi! New to this board and looking for course recommendations for the first week in June. I'd like to play a couple of times. I'll be by myself for a couple of rounds. I'll also have my 11 year old beginner with me and would like to find a short course that won't get him into trouble.

Any recommendations relatively close to Clearwater?

Thanks,
    Cholly

Bump! Only 3 weeks left.
    [font=Georgia][font=Comic Sans MS]All of my fairway woods have limbs[/font]![/font]

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by chollyred
    Hi! New to this board and looking for course recommendations for the first week in June. I'd like to play a couple of times. I'll be by myself for a couple of rounds. I'll also have my 11 year old beginner with me and would like to find a short course that won't get him into trouble.

Any recommendations relatively close to Clearwater?

Thanks,
    Cholly
    Hi, I know of some courses in the Clearwater area, but once you're down there your best bet is to just look in the Yellow Pages, but I have played lots of golf in the area and here are a few courses I've played. There's Chi Chi Rodriguez's course whick is nice, it's short but it's fun and the price is good. There's Bardmore which is a really nice course and the twilight rate is good. There's Isla Del Sol which I haven't played but heard it's nice. There's the Dunedin Country Clun which is really nice. There's the Clearwate C.C which has been renovated and is in Clearwater which is convenient especially if your staying on Clearwater Beach. In Tampa there's the Air Force base course which I haven't played. There's Tarpon Springs course but when I played there it was like 8 years ago and it wasn't really nice, but it could have matured since I last played there. There's East Bay C.C which is nice and they have a par 3 course with lights! So those are a few.

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to do as much investigation as possible on the web, but nothing beats personal experience. Right now I'm leaning toward Bardmoor and Clearwater Country Club.

We're actually staying in Madeira Beach. Those two should be easily accessible.

Know anything about Cove Cay or Mangrove Bay?

Also thinking about Treasure Island or Twin Brooks for the 11 year old.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again...
    [font=Georgia][font=Comic Sans MS]All of my fairway woods have limbs[/font]![/font]

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to do as much investigation as possible on the web, but nothing beats personal experience. Right now I'm leaning toward Bardmoor and Clearwater Country Club.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again...
    Iv'e never played Cove Cay or Mangrove Bay, but I heaer Mangrove Bay is nice. I haven't played too many courses south of Clearwater the only ones were Bardmoor and Pasedena C.C which is private. But Chi Chi's course is perfect for the 11 year old and it's not that far away. It's about a 15 min drive from downtown Clearwater, it's on McMullen Booth Road and you head north from Clearwater. East Bay is also nice because like I said it has a par 3 course that you can play at night and the course is in Largo on East Bay Rd not too far from where your staying. Do me a favour if you can. Go to Clearwater Beach on a Friday or Saturday night and eat out at Britt's Restaurant. Now here me out. There's 2 Britt's Restaurants on Clearwater Beach a new one and an old one (the original) and there about 2 blocks away from eachother, I worked at the older one for many years. The food is great but ask for a waitress named Alaina and tell her that Dan from Canada says hi. Can you do that if you go to the beach in the nightime? Thanks and if you have any more questions don't hesitated to ask.

Lob Wedge doc2th is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts?

Thanks again...
    We just came back after three months in Madeira Beach, and we played a lot of golf. Cove Cay is very nice. Mangrove Bay is a popular municipal course which is well kept; it's open and not too hard, and there are some interesting holes - well worth the money. Treasure Island would be perfect for the youngster; it's a short 9 holes on a peninsula, great scenery - tennis courts too, if you play tennis. Twin Brooks is a good par 3, longer holes than Treasure Island, a bit undulating. Clearwater is nice.

Fla, Doc,

Thanks for the suggestions! Now if I can just figure out how to hit the $@#& golfball! (struggling with swing changes)

Okay. Just got back from Madeira Beach. Ended up playing Mangrove Bay twice. Good course for the money ($27.00 to ride 18). Tamed my driver and lob wedge. Still need lots of work on my irons and fairway woods.

Did manage to hole out a PW from about 90 yards. First time for that.

Came home early due to the bad weather from Arlene.

Thread Information