+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge left72 is on a distinguished road

Increase swing height in garage with ... digging a hole?

I will have room in my new garage to install a sim. However, the availabe height is only 248cm, which is a bit too low. Now I'm thinking of digging a hole for the hitting area. Of course the hole should be as small as possible and as large as necessary. Layout like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1669fjssph...2014.11.40.jpg

The hole (pink) has a slope on the side between ball and impact screen to prevent boomerang low shots and can itself be smaller than the "swing area", like so

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32t0wbu7fy...2014.27.36.jpg

I'll have to work out the minimal requirements to account for shanks and the like.

Any thoughts what could go fundamentally wrong with this idea?

If I go with a system that requires a vertical launch angle camera (like ProTee), would this be a problem? The camera is 60-70cm higher relative to hitting area and the camera's field of vision does not include the area below camera and hitting area.

Thanks,
    Stefan

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Don't think this will work with protee's la cam. I will check but I don't think the ground height adjustment can compensate for 60 cm. the cam will see most shots. But soft chips will probably not be seen. The key is the ground adjustment, it needs to be low enough for the system to start the measurement correctly.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    So I undersstand, the launch cam will b above the dug area? Why can't you put in on the grounded dug area? If cant, I wonder if you aimed the vcam down to see the ball?

Aiming the VCam down too much will distort the la. If the dug out area is wide enough, you can place the cam on the left side or where it's farthest from the tee location. My VCam is about 7ft from the tee location. It can probably be a foot closer.

Sand Wedge left72 is on a distinguished road
    ZMax, you have a good point with small chips. The camera willl probably not be able to see theses shots. And aiming down would likely distort the image.

Bottom line, I'll may have to place the VCam on the grounded dug area - and thus make the entire hole bigger, which I'd like to avoid. Part of the sales pitch to my wife is to be able to cover the hole temporarily and use the garage as intended. The bigger the hole, the more unlikey that option is.

Anyone know the minimum distances between tee and VCam for the ProTee? I didn't find anything on their website.

VCam
    |
    |?
    |
    -----Ball
    ?

If you use the included wide angle lens you can get closer than mine.

Thread Information