CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar

Need help with my DRIVER

Hey, so I have this very strange question to anyone who is willing to listen or help for that matter. I have noticed everyone on here is really nice so far and helpful so I am going to give it a shot.

I had a King COBRA SPEED LD F 10.5* DRIVER GOLF CLUB
    TITANIUM, 5000 INERTIA WITH A COBRA ALDILA NV F SPEED TUNED, 125-150 MPH BALL SPEED, 55G, MID KICK, 4.0 TORQUE, GRAPHITE SHAFT WITH A REGULAR FLEX

Now I bought this driver when I was about 14-15 and am now 19. This driver was working wonderfully for me this entire golf season until it snapped about a foot up from the clubhead. It snapped after impact with the ball and then only noticed it when it hit me in the back. I beleive it snaped because after awhile and a lot of over use with it. I never treated it bad so it did not snapped because of a poor ownership.

Now, When I arrived in Ottawa about 3 weeks ago I went to golf town for a custom fit. And after trying numerous drivers the custom fitter came to the conclusion that

Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver 9.5* Stiff Flex Matrix Black Tie Right Handed

Was right for me, now it felt wierd and really heavy. Of course this was to be expected since it is a 73Gram shaft compared to my old 55G.

But, after leaving the custom fit I went to the range and tried the bad boy out. Sure I was hitting it pure but it was just no longer as far and as high. Of course I understood the high loss because its a 9.5 and way less torque then my old one.

Then I started to run into problems at the driving range, having my shots just not on target like I was able to do with my old driver.

So, I went on ebay and found a used driver of the exact same as my old one for 50$ might as well only 50$ for a driver sounds good. Get the driver and my shots are just as before.

put the Callaway driver in a box and am now trying to sell it. Do the people at golf town actually know how to custom fit you? Am I just not use to the new driver enough to be able to control all my shots like my old one?

Thanks,
    Sean

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    First question: How much do you want for the Callaway?

That is all.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I find that most fittings at bigbox stores can be a crap shoot.
    Did you pay for the fitting?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    The screens are GT are a joke. I like them to hit balls and try clubs, but the data is meaningless! On the machines at GT I hit the new X Hot 3 wood with a nice subtle draw one after another... BUT I have never hit a draw in my life, I play a slight fade and have no desire to change. I bought the driver and I continue to hit a slight fade outside.

I would almost guarantee that the biggest difference is the shaft in your Callaway is probably 45.75" or maybe even 46" and control becomes a major issue at this point.

I can't hit a 9.5, 46" driver, but with a 44.5" driver 10.5* loft I am consitent and down the middle with my slight fade...

Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    First question: How much do you want for the Callaway?

That is all.
    How much are you willing to pay for it, its pretty much brand new. Tested at Golf town with the tape then hit at a driving range. No marks on the club except for ball marks in the center of the club face that happens to any club with no tape when hitting. So Brand New Almost and comes with head cover and the tunning tool

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    I find that most fittings at bigbox stores can be a crap shoot.
    Did you pay for the fitting?
    thankfully it comes free with the purchase of a golf club, but sucks I did not like the golf club afterwards =(

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    The screens are GT are a joke. I like them to hit balls and try clubs, but the data is meaningless! On the machines at GT I hit the new X Hot 3 wood with a nice subtle draw one after another... BUT I have never hit a draw in my life, I play a slight fade and have no desire to change. I bought the driver and I continue to hit a slight fade outside.

I would almost guarantee that the biggest difference is the shaft in your Callaway is probably 45.75" or maybe even 46" and control becomes a major issue at this point.

I can't hit a 9.5, 46" driver, but with a 44.5" driver 10.5* loft I am consitent and down the middle with my slight fade...
    Could certainly be it, thanks the reply

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    The King COBRA SPEED LD F has a closed face i.e draw bias. Nobody ever hits it OB or can't find the ball in the woods in the GT screens.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    The King COBRA SPEED LD F has a closed face i.e draw bias. Nobody ever hits it OB or can't find the ball in the woods in the GT screens.
    Well I hit the Cobra dead straight, or with a little draw. While the Callaway I have a massive snap hook, and a lot of trouble shaping shots.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Take the club back to GT and tell them you are not happy with the recommended club from the fitting after hitting the club at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    Take the club back to GT and tell them you are not happy with the recommended club from the fitting after hitting the club at the range.
    Would they give me all my money back?

Doubt it but they could get you into a driver that better suits you

You likely got a nice price on a driver model they are trying to clear out , the move from reg to stiff flex could also be a problem. Normal swing speed is best to evaluate vs. jacking up your swing on the simulator. Nothing beats demo'ing a club outside at a range. Go back and ask to speak to manager tell him you saved up a year to buy a new driver and your disappointed. If things don't work out post it in the classified section , you'll take a $ hit but better than being stuck with a club you don't like

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Did you try adjusting the weight and change the face angle at all
    http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/...l?cgid=drivers

Or you are talking about another model?
    LoftLieWeight ConfigurationCCFace AngleAvailable InLengthSwing Weight
    8.5°58.5°Adjustable440AdjustableRH Only45.5D4
    9.5°58.5°Adjustable440AdjustableR
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Doubt it but they could get you into a driver that better suits you
    Not a chance ! Impossible ! Good luck !!!

Congratulations, you are the newest golf club consumer that has fallen prey to the marketing hype and quick sell tactics of big box stores.

You, or the salesperson, er, fitter have no idea what you are hitting in terms of specs.

Get in touch with " nokids " who is very respected on this forum and he will provide you with some guidance in your quest.

You likely got a nice price on a driver model they are trying to clear out , the move from reg to stiff flex could also be a problem. Normal swing speed is best to evaluate vs. jacking up your swing on the simulator. Nothing beats demo'ing a club outside at a range. Go back and ask to speak to manager tell him you saved up a year to buy a new driver and your disappointed. If things don't work out post it in the classified section , you'll take a $ hit but better than being stuck with a club you don't like
    I was not jacking up my swing speed at all, in fact I was taking it slow when I was on the machines since I always sing less fast when there are walls around me. just one of those things.

I posted it on used ottawa for 300$ but I will drop the price, because now golf town is offering a sale on the driver.

I got it for 375$ after taxes, was going to drop it 75$ but now it seems i might get rid of it for 250$

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savosean View Post
    Do the people at golf town actually know how to custom fit you?
    No

That Callaway 9.5 head is probably a 12 or 13 degree loft. Get it measured to find out. It might also be a good idea to get your current driver specs measured so that the next time it breaks you will know what specs to look for in a replacement driver.

Big stores = misleading the golf masses
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    No

That Callaway 9.5 head is probably a 12 or 13 degree loft. Get it measured to find out. It might also be a good idea to get your current driver specs measured so that the next time it breaks you will know what specs to look for in a new driver .
    thanks, will do for next time.

Thread Information