100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge KoryB33 is on a distinguished road

Question Driver Club Head Re-Painting

Hello,

Does anybody know a good place for me to get the club head on my driver re-painted? There are some scratches on it and I would like to get it re-painted.

Thanks

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Thanks, do you know of anywhere in Canada? I am trying to avoid a high charge (due to duty, brokerage, etc.)

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Golfworks. If your in Ottawa they are on Industrail Rd, if not go to www.golfworks.com and select canada(should be on the top right).
    Denny

Thanks, I called them and them informed me that I need to go directly through their US location. So duty & brokerage would have to be paid by me.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Then you might be SOL!
    The US might be the only way to go since most club manufacturers are there. I did see on Ebay touch up paint being sold for clubs but I bet it would look as good as it does when you use that stupid little brush on your car.

Just a thought but an auto body shop might be able to paint it for you but I don't know what they would charge.
    Denny

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    You might want to give these guys a call:

http://www.gctgolf.com/

They advertise on this site and they were at the golf show, so I believe they have some sort of local presence.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar

Wood Head Painting

A word to the wise if you go to the body shop, be careful they can make it look good but put to much paint and clear, which will drastically alter the swing weight making the club unplayable. I would try Chuck Browns, I believe they sand blast and then use the proper epoxy paint to finish.
    Good Luck

Thanks el tigre! I could not find there TN on the web site, so I emailed them. No to good for business not having a TN on their site!!!!

Now waiting for reply.....

Thanks eyeping, I went to CB's and they used to send the clubs to a guy in Montreal. CB's informed me that he no longer is in business.

Thanks

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    GCT Golf
    10 Maralisa St. Ottawa
    (613) 823-2907

thank you Dan!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I wonder if there is a potential market for cutom painted clubs. I have a few drivers in the basement that would be funny to have airbrushed a la Tom Green's dad's car.

I think it would be funny, but an air-brushed bikini babe might be distracting on the tee.

Maybe somebody could incorporate the disappearing bikini "trick pen" into a custom art job as well...

I have too much time on my hands.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryB33
    Hello,

Does anybody know a good place for me to get the club head on my driver re-painted? There are some scratches on it and I would like to get it re-painted.
    Thanks
    If you want an excellent job done for a reasonable price call Gene Markell at 599-8232.
    golfwright@sympatico.ca.

I asked the guy at the golf show how much it would cost to repaint my 455 Deep Bore and include a simple design. $200

Forget it.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 04-02-2005 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks BC Mist! I will call him. I got a quote from the same company I believe you are talikng about that was at the golf show. I received a $150 quote. I'm sure they do a good job, however for that price I would just buy a new club.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Driver Repaint

Hello,

Thanks
    First off if your driver head is a fairly common colour, say black, dark blue or grey then you can paint it yourself.
    I know this as I work in the Paint Shop at a Ford Plant and I have repainted quite a few drivers and 3 woods in my spare time.
    Of course I have access to air guns to paint with and clear coat with, and also a heat lamp to bake the finish on. yes I have done this on heads with graphite shafts in them. I just make sure the head is far enough away from the lamp, set the tempature down lower and bake it 2 or 3 times.
    However you can also paint them at home, using good automotive spray paint and clear coat. Take take to lightly sand the entire clubhead, mask off the areas you do not want to paint, then make sure the area to be painted is clear of dust and any finger prints.
    Spray it with one light coat first and allow it to dry. Then spray it again, allow it to dry. If you now have the surface covered entirely you can spray the clear coat on now. Again allow it to dry before touching it. Finger prints do not look good on the driver head Now you are done, and you will likely save some $$ in the process. Think of the interesting colours you can now paint your driver head! I once painted an old putter I have, it was a nice bright New York Yellow Cab colour. When I pulled the headcover off of it on the first green my foursome just stared at it It was good for a laugh and I still putted lights out with it.
    So if you feel you can do all of the above and I am sure anyone can then go ahead and try it. Just be careful not to sag the paint and it will look fine.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thanks

Golfbum, are you in Ottawa, if so will you paint it for me?

No I'm Not In Ottawa

Golfbum, are you in Ottawa, if so will you paint it for me?
    Sorry I am in St Thomas, south of London. If you were closer I would gladly paint it for you.
    Try it yourself, trust me it is easy to do. Just go to Canadian Tire, buy a good spray bomb of the colour you need and paint it. If it is not scratched that much you won't need to sand it down to the metal, just scuff it off so the new paint adheres. Tape it off and paint it. Trust me you can handle this, I do them all the time. I like to do them at work where I can bake them, but air dry paint works fine too.
    Let me know if you are going to attempt it, so I can answer any questions you might have.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    First off if your driver head is a fairly common colour, say black, dark blue or grey then you can paint it yourself.
    I know this as I work in the Paint Shop at a Ford Plant and I have repainted quite a few drivers and 3 woods in my spare time.
    Of course I have access to air guns to paint with and clear coat with, and also a heat lamp to bake the finish on. yes I have done this on heads with graphite shafts in them. I just make sure the head is far enough away from the lamp, set the tempature down lower and bake it 2 or 3 times.
    However you can also paint them at home, using good automotive spray paint and clear coat. Take take to lightly sand the entire clubhead, mask off the areas you do not want to paint, then make sure the area to be painted is clear of dust and any finger prints.
    Spray it with one light coat first and allow it to dry. Then spray it again, allow it to dry. If you now have the surface covered entirely you can spray the clear coat on now. Again allow it to dry before touching it. Finger prints do not look good on the driver head Now you are done, and you will likely save some $$ in the process. Think of the interesting colours you can now paint your driver head! I once painted an old putter I have, it was a nice bright New York Yellow Cab colour. When I pulled the headcover off of it on the first green my foursome just stared at it It was good for a laugh and I still putted lights out with it.
    So if you feel you can do all of the above and I am sure anyone can then go ahead and try it. Just be careful not to sag the paint and it will look fine.
    Golfbum. Have you ever done one with a dent? How would go about it? Fill it with bondo?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Golfbum. Have you ever done one with a dent? How would go about it? Fill it with bondo?
    Never done one with a dent in it. If it is a small indentation you might be able to sand it down to get rid of it.
    As for bondo, I doubt that would work. The impact of hitting the ball constantly would loosen the bondo I would think.
    Sorry, can't be of much help. Did someone get ticked off and dent the club?

Noone got ticked off. Some guy on another forum posted a whole bunch of tools to refinish a driver head. He even mentionned a hole puncher. I asked him about that but he hasn't replied yet. I don't think you can fix a dent like you can fix a car. Your thoughts bum.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Noone got ticked off. Some guy on another forum posted a whole bunch of tools to refinish a driver head. He even mentionned a hole puncher. I asked him about that but he hasn't replied yet. I don't think you can fix a dent like you can fix a car. Your thoughts bum.
    Well I suppose you could drill a small hole in the head, and then use the tool to try to push out the dent. However a ding on a car you have more metal to work with. I have seen the metal guys at work take dings out of fenders etc, then sand them down to feather out any imperfections but again lots of metal to work with.
    If the ding was on the top of the driver it could be done, then you would have to fill the hole in. However some drivers have foam in them, not sure if any OEM's still use that method. But if so that would cause a problem.
    Only thing I can say, is try it on an old driver head and see what happens!

I am also concerned about the Titanium.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I am also concerned about the Titanium.
    Good point. Do you have the head? If so post some photos and let's see how bad the ding is.

Not mine. The poster is in FLA. I do have another one(older one titanium) with a dent. I'll try to get a pic later on this week. not sure if you can work Titanium like steel though.

Thanks.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Dents

Hey Chief I was reading this old post after reading the other post on painting clubheads. Funny thing, today I was given a driver to repaint, and that thing has THREE DENTS in it! Plus about 30 ball scuff marks too boot! Man it looks like it has never had a ball hit on the face of it!

It really is not worth painting but it's someone elses nickels so I am doing it.
    I sandblasted it, then put the 400 grit to it and those dings ain't going anywhere! The only thing I can try to do is fill them up a bit with primer. Once I am done painting it I am going to tell the owner to either tee his ball down lower or put about 10 coats of car wax on the crown

Now there is no way I could drill a small hole in the sole and get those dings out, there just isn't enough room to move inside the head. So I am going to finish it the way it is and just tell the guy "Sorry, I am not MACCO Auto Body"

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Sorry I am in St Thomas, south of London. If you were closer I would gladly paint it for you.
    Try it yourself, trust me it is easy to do. Just go to Canadian Tire, buy a good spray bomb of the colour you need and paint it. If it is not scratched that much you won't need to sand it down to the metal, just scuff it off so the new paint adheres. Tape it off and paint it. Trust me you can handle this, I do them all the time. I like to do them at work where I can bake them, but air dry paint works fine too.
    Let me know if you are going to attempt it, so I can answer any questions you might have.
    Rick
    Quick question Rick. If the headd was pulled and shipped to you would you do it?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quick question Rick. If the headd was pulled and shipped to you would you do it?
    PM Sent

Thread Information