CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Anti-casting drills

I release my wrist hinge on my downswing too early. I pull on the grip and wrist-hinge angle goes from 90 degrees at the top to almost 180 degrees flat when the club gets to about waist high. Any suggestions/drills that will help me keep the hinge at 90 degrees until my hands get down to my knees?

You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Stop hitting it with your purse.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Stop hitting it with your purse.
    It's a Murse!

If Tom Brady can walk around with one without being labelled gay then so can I

Pitching Wedge Big Juicy is on a distinguished road Big Juicy's Avatar
    Poor grip strength and lack of wrist flexibility can also lead to scooping/casting/early release

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Casting is a result of what happens before. Pulling on the handle is a major cause. Ball bound steering too... Lag, flat left wrist, holding the flying wedge, whatever you call it - is a result. Actively trying to stop casting makes it worse. Rhythm, letting gravity do its thing, focus on target vs focus on ball are all things that help.
    Go to YouTube, search "Shawn Clement Lag". He's got some good stuff.
    I like this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUrCL...tPuNgLm5WAdTvA
    Martin Chuck has some good videos as well.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Casting is a result of what happens before. Pulling on the handle is a major cause. Ball bound steering too... Lag, flat left wrist, holding the flying wedge, whatever you call it - is a result. Actively trying to stop casting makes it worse. Rhythm, letting gravity do its thing, focus on target vs focus on ball are all things that help.
    This is a good post.

Spend a few hours on this blog (I'm pretty sure you have the time): http://montescheinblum.wordpress.com/

There are a handful of internet instructors who know what they're talking about and I think he is one of the best.

He's a regular poster on golfwrx too.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    He's a regular poster on golfwrx too.
    Yep. iteachgolf, russc, slicefixer and a few others know what they're talking about as well. Obviously Slice has a huge following on WRX though.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    That video was helpful indeed, thanks.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Glad it helped. Here is a Monte video hot off the press. relates to shallowing the club. Which is what casting does too...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g...&v=cS_ijg82Ogg

I think Im still casting....

http://golf.ubersense.com/video/view/FmkK6yem

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I release my wrist hinge on my downswing too early. I pull on the grip and wrist-hinge angle goes from 90 degrees at the top to almost 180 degrees flat when the club gets to about waist high. Any suggestions/drills that will help me keep the hinge at 90 degrees until my hands get down to my knees?
    The cause of problem is usually threefold: right shoulder roll, right arm thrust and right hand cast, and in that sequence. When the hands are in front of the right thigh, the shaft should be parallel to the ground, in order to achieve the proper impact position. Video will show how close you are to this position.

The problem is probably mechanical but could be a lack of flexibility, too. I have followed, off and on, The Bertholy Method, (http://www.paulbertholy.com/paulbertholy/Home.html) which is NOT a golf swing instructional book, but a series of simple, flexibility exercises with a very heavy club or a pipe, which you can make yourself, and if used daily over the winter, will give you the move that you want. Years ago I had an OTT downswing start; now my clubs drops into the slot and I attributed the change with the work I did with the programme(s).

We have discussed before the initial move of the hands/arms BACK first and then down, which Bertholy describes as his "vertical drop," a motion rather effectively used by Moe Norman, Ben Hogan, Sergio and quite apparent in the downswing moves by Els and Tiger.
    Eliminating a casting motion will take considerable time and, generally, the "tips" you might find on various sites do not work. Following a particular programme of exercises and doing literally thousands of slow motion, position to position "swings," does. I speak from too much experience.

This old thread may be helpful
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...thod-Revisited.

Thanks BC. I've been trying to get my head around some key swing positions swing for a year now. I will give the Paul Bertholy drills a shot.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Casting is the story of my golf life and a big reason why I can't seem to get lower than an 18 cap, of course 3 putting might have something to do with it too.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    It all looks so easy in those videos.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

1 Iron savosean is on a distinguished road savosean's Avatar
    Casting? never heard this terminology before.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    The problem is probably mechanical but could be a lack of flexibility, too. I have followed, off and on, The Bertholy Method, (http://www.paulbertholy.com/paulbertholy/Home.html) which is NOT a golf swing instructional book, but a series of simple, flexibility exercises with a very heavy club or a pipe, which you can make yourself, and if used daily over the winter, will give you the move that you want. Years ago I had an OTT downswing start; now my clubs drops into the slot and I attributed the change with the work I did with the programme(s).
    I tried to order this book several years ago but they did not seem to ship outside the US at that time. Glad to see that they do now.

We have discussed before the initial move of the hands/arms BACK first and then down, which Bertholy describes as his "vertical drop," a motion rather effectively used by Moe Norman, Ben Hogan, Sergio and quite apparent in the downswing moves by Els and Tiger.
    Eliminating a casting motion will take considerable time and, generally, the "tips" you might find on various sites do not work. Following a particular programme of exercises and doing literally thousands of slow motion, position to position "swings," does. I speak from too much experience.

This old thread may be helpful
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...thod-Revisited.
    What is the actual initial move of the downswing?

When I took lessons from Warren Grant, he basically said the initial move was the hands/right forearm going back as you describe above. John Dunigan's book "Secrets of the Golf Swing" seemed to say the same thing, where he emphasized the "Pump Drill" as way to practice this move. When I started doing this move, I instantly gained yardage but also started pulling a lot of shots left. There was little change to my swing path and I still have an early release taking little or no divot. It seems that this is a cure for an OTT motion only.

You also talk about your club "dropping into the slot". Doesn't this imply that the first move in the transition/downswing is actually letting the right elbow "drop" first, and then moving the hands/arms back and down. When I see slow motion videos of Tiger Woods and Adam Scott, this "drop into the slot" seems to be the first downswing motion that happens.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I tried to order this book several years ago but they did not seem to ship outside the US at that time. Glad to see that they do now.

What is the actual initial move of the downswing?

When I took lessons from Warren Grant, he basically said the initial move was the hands/right forearm going back as you describe above. John Dunigan's book "Secrets of the Golf Swing" seemed to say the same thing, where he emphasized the "Pump Drill" as way to practice this move. When I started doing this move, I instantly gained yardage but also started pulling a lot of shots left. There was little change to my swing path and I still have an early release taking little or no divot. It seems that this is a cure for an OTT motion only.

You also talk about your club "dropping into the slot". Doesn't this imply that the first move in the transition/downswing is actually letting the right elbow "drop" first, and then moving the hands/arms back and down. When I see slow motion videos of Tiger Woods and Adam Scott, this "drop into the slot" seems to be the first downswing motion that happens.
    Whether it is done consciously (hopefully not) or non consciously, the downswing begins with the lower body moving forward. If there is a slight pause or "gathering of the muscles" at the top, your non conscious will move the body forward first in anticipation of the hands/arms moving back/down/forward next. This is why swinging smoothly, whether fast or slow, is important. Personally, I never consciously move my lower body forward; it just does.

Warren and I have had many, many discussions about how to start the downswing (when consciously working on it) and we agree that the sensation is that the hands are moving 180* opposite the target. Doing so will drop the club in to the slot, ensure an inside path to the ball with the hands ahead of the ball at impact. He suggests that one straighten the right arm starting down, to get the proper feeling, but as he said to me once, "You feel like you are straightening the right arm, but you don't actually do it." Power is lost when the right shoulder moves out, the right arm actually straightens and the hands cast, so starting the downswing with the hands moving back, prevents these power leaks. I understand your increase in distance but not the pulls because the correct motion gets you an inside path, while a pull is from an outside path.

I would not be concerned about dropping the right elbow consciously because if the hands are moved back first, there is an incidental flattening of the club shaft and dropping of the elbow that happens as a result.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    My swing feels like a folded lawn chair. It's a good thing I can scramble, because my GIR's are non-existent at the moment.

You look like you're pretty off-balance in this swing and you almost wrap the club around you in your finish. Are you erratic off the tee right now?

I golf with a few guys who are casting, but they still end up with a straight ball.

I've given up trying to get the proper swing. I have lots of lag, similar to Sergio. It gives me a lot of distance, but if my wrists don't square up at impact, I'm in a world of trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I have lots of lag, similar to Sergio.
    I thought the same thing till I saw myself on video

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I thought the same thing till I saw myself on video
    HAHAH! You don't look like you have lag. Your front side stays pretty much straight. It almost looks like you swing around yourself, if you know what I mean.

I have huge weight shift with my lower body...This leaves my hands behind and I have to turn my wrists to bring the club square. It's something I have a hard time getting away from. Comes from playing hockey my entire life. You get very good distance with momentum, but holy crap...if not timed properly...Hello mega-rough or tree line...

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Personally, I never consciously move my lower body forward; it just does.
    Me neither, though many a golf pro has told me that I should. Every time I do it is a disaster.

Warren and I have had many, many discussions about how to start the downswing (when consciously working on it) and we agree that the sensation is that the hands are moving 180* opposite the target. Doing so will drop the club in to the slot, ensure an inside path to the ball with the hands ahead of the ball at impact. He suggests that one straighten the right arm starting down, to get the proper feeling, but as he said to me once, "You feel like you are straightening the right arm, but you don't actually do it." Power is lost when the right shoulder moves out, the right arm actually straightens and the hands cast, so starting the downswing with the hands moving back, prevents these power leaks. I understand your increase in distance but not the pulls because the correct motion gets you an inside path, while a pull is from an outside path.
    I think it is possible to straighten the right arm AND move the right shoulder out. That might be my problem right there - though 5 different golf pros (including Warren) have yet to diagnose this as the reason for the pulls.

I would not be concerned about dropping the right elbow consciously because if the hands are moved back first, there is an incidental flattening of the club shaft and dropping of the elbow that happens as a result.
    Hmmm, I think I'll play around with this some more. I know that both actions have to happen, but I'm unsure of the sequencing.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savosean View Post
    Casting? never heard this terminology before.
    Me neither, but I am glad to have found out that anti-casting appears to have nothing to do with dwarf-tossing.

Thread Information