CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

Looking For Hunter Safety Training Manuals

Hey guys and gals. I'm preparing to challenge the PAL test and I need the Training Manuals for Un-Restricted/Restricted Firearms. Anyone got these laying around that I could borrow or have? I'm too cheap to pay the $15 each manual. Haha.
    Thanks
    "Get your smile on!"

4 Iron Keals is on a distinguished road
    When you sign up for your Canadian Firearms and Safety Course, they give you the requiered manuals to pass the test. this is an in class 2 day course. If they charge you extra for the manuals, your being hustled!

As for the Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) you don't need to write a test. Once you've completed your Canadian Firearms Safety Course, you just send a checque to the RMCP and they will send you a PAL card. This card is needed is you want to purchase firearms and ammunition and if you want to hunt on your own without being within 10ft of someone who possesses a PAL.

The Canadian

Thanks for the info but you are mistaken on all counts. You do not need to complete the course. Anyone over the age of 18 can challenge the course and for a $45 fee can write the mandatory written(multiple choice and true and false questions), then complete the hands on exam with the instructor. If passed you then apply for the Pal with the Rcmp chief firearms officer, pay the $60 fee and they decide if you shall be licensed. Its not guaranteed at all.
    I am pretty sure anyone with a valid Possession Only License (POL) can hunt alone(if they completed the Hunter Safety Course). I have done this course and have a valid POL and have been hunting for almost 30 years with no issues. I want to upgrade to a PAL to either borrow or purchase a new hunting rifle.
    The books are included with the course but since I am going to challenge the test I need to purchase or borrow the books separately. I don't think they will be at the local library but I am going to check there as well
    "Get your smile on!"

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy4Par View Post
    Thanks for the info but you are mistaken on all counts. You do not need to complete the course. Anyone over the age of 18 can challenge the course and for a $45 fee can write the mandatory written(multiple choice and true and false questions), then complete the hands on exam with the instructor. If passed you then apply for the Pal with the Rcmp chief firearms officer, pay the $60 fee and they decide if you shall be licensed. Its not guaranteed at all.
    I am pretty sure anyone with a valid Possession Only License (POL) can hunt alone(if they completed the Hunter Safety Course). I have done this course and have a valid POL and have been hunting for almost 30 years with no issues. I want to upgrade to a PAL to either borrow or purchase a new hunting rifle.
    The books are included with the course but since I am going to challenge the test I need to purchase or borrow the books separately. I don't think they will be at the local library but I am going to check there as well
    You are indeed correct. I am the former National Mgr., Firearms Safety Ed and Awareness, Justice Canada...and it was my team who put together the courses. Your best bet, as you have asked, is that someone loan you the books in order that you can study (highly recommended) and challenge. I'd do so, but don't have a copy as I am current. Someone here should, however, be able to help you. If not, contact the Stittsville Shooting Club, the Eastern Ontario Handgun club or the RA Centre Handgun Club...someone there will have the material you seek.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I should have clarified Andy4Par, if you're looking for a firearms licence, my direction is correct. If you're looking for your hunting licence, that is a provincial matter. However, again, these clubs should lead you to someone who can get you to the result you seek.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Thanks for the advice imozzie....I am looking for the firearm training manuals. I already have hunting license.
    "Get your smile on!"

Thread Information