100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge tortoise is on a distinguished road

Young Kids on the Golf Course

As someone with two young kids (1.5 & 3.5) getting out golfing has been... well... challenging.

I've been wondering about bringing the older one out on the course with me. We'd rent a cart and he'd ride along, maybe practice putting. We'd only play 9 holes.

Has anyone else done this or know if local courses discourage this practice? If not, do they charge for the little one?

I suppose I could just call the courses but I'm interested if others have done this.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    A daycare at a golf course would be nice... a massage therapist too
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    A daycare at a golf course would be nice... a massage therapist too
    Witch one is for you Pablo ?LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Witch one is for you Pablo ?LOL
    My gf would use both... for me it would depend on the massage therapist

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    I played a tournament at Manderly this year and my wife asked what the min age is to bring kids from the guy in the pro shop. I have a 2 yo and a 4.5 yo. The guy said there is none. That people bring their kids all the time. That they were fine with it if pace was kept, rules were followed etc.

We did not ask if there was a charge though.

I was CL member until this year and thought they told me they had to 5 years old for their insurance. So it may be a course by course thing.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    My boys come out pretty much once a week for 9 holes. A 3 and 5 year old - they have their own clubs. Play nine with a cart. Scramble format, except they get to putt out on the green. Never had a problem and the kids love it. Also, haven't had to use any of their tee shots....yet! LOL
    Gimmie: agreement to concede short putts between 2 golfers, neither of which can putt very well.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    try to find a course that is kid friendly.. cause you want the kids to keep playing! madawaska has a nice second 18 for families, and many courses offer free golf for younger kids on weekends. Golf needs more kids playing!
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Capital golf has lots of kids. It's a par 3 course.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I used to go to Poplar Grove when I was a kid. On the Par 3 course. Each course has different age minimums. As someone mentioned above, it's due to their insurance policy. It depends on what their policy covers.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I used to go to Poplar Grove when I was a kid. On the Par 3 course. Each course has different age minimums. As someone mentioned above, it's due to their insurance policy. It depends on what their policy covers.
    I bring my three year old son after dinner. We enjoy practising on the putting green. Once a month we grab a cart and zip around for a few holes. I've actually been approached by members who have remarked how nice it is to see young kids around. Taking it one step further, hunt club mentioned a day care in our member survey so perhaps it's in the cards. It's a service I would pay to use. Additionally, my wife would also join as a full member.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I bring my three year old son after dinner. We enjoy practising on the putting green. Once a month we grab a cart and zip around for a few holes. I've actually been approached by members who have remarked how nice it is to see young kids around. Taking it one step further, hunt club mentioned a day care in our member survey so perhaps it's in the cards. It's a service I would pay to use. Additionally, my wife would also join as a full member.
    Do you bring him out at Hunt Club? I'm a member at Eagle Creek. I've never brought my 5 year old with me, but I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem if she rode around in the cart while I played 9 holes.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Yes. Not an issue. We always pick our spots though. In July, we often don't arrive until 7 pm or later. Aside from the occasional few holes, we generally stick to the putting green. My little guy is very busy, so sitting tight on the cart as I play doesn't work. When we go together, it's all about him. We putt balls until he loses interest, then we chip, or sometimes just enjoy spending time together and share a drink ( he loves Arnold Palmer)!

bbad
    Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    try to find a course that is kid friendly.. cause you want the kids to keep playing! madawaska has a nice second 18 for families, and many courses offer free golf for younger kids on weekends. Golf needs more kids playing!
    Amen!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Yes. Not an issue. We always pick our spots though. In July, we often don't arrive until 7 pm or later. Aside from the occasional few holes, we generally stick to the putting green. My little guy is very busy, so sitting tight on the cart as I play doesn't work. When we go together, it's all about him. We putt balls until he loses interest, then we chip, or sometimes just enjoy spending time together and share a drink ( he loves Arnold Palmer)!

That's awesome.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    I try to take both my 6yr old and 4.5 yr old at least 1-2 a week to the range and putting green...We play a putting game I call "around the world" and I usually get beat by one of them...We play 3 holes every once in a while...

I get a lot of approving looks bringing them out...They love it as much as I do...

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    My little guy turned 2 years old in May, and let me tell you that every time I see a 5 year old with their fathers on the driving range I start counting down the days until that's me and Brayden.

For now we mainly stick to kitchen golf despite what his mother says!

b2.JPGb1.JPG

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    See lots of younger kids at EQ in the putting and practice areas and EQ host a free (i think) clinic for kids. Always great to see and they are having a ball - the kids and the adults.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Cool

I brought my daughter for the first time at around 6. 6 months that is.....9-holes, she sleeps for roughly 7 of them and just looks around for the rest.

We normally go around 2:30 or 3pm on the weekend when there is nobody around at Hautes Plaines so we don`t really bother any one. We`ve been out 8 times so far this year and I have only had to leave after 6 holes once.

Next year may be more difficult as she gets mobile but we`ll see.
    Attached Images

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    @ Sunny D those clinics are $40 for 10 one hour lessons as a group...the boys loved it...the morning class had apprx 25 kids and the afternoon session we had was only 15...doing it again next summer...

Thread Information