CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

First Time Travelling With Clubs

Heading to Arizona at the end of October and have never travelled to golf before so it's new to me.

I'm assuming a hard case is the safest way to get your clubs there? Do people recommend just checking your sticks on the flight or shipping them to the resort via Fedex?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, oh and if anyone has a hard case to lend that would be awesome!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've travelled a lot with my clubs and would always recommend a hard case based on how I have seen the baggage guys handle the bags. Never had a problem with damage.

I don't know what the current fedex pricing is, but now that some airlines are charging for extra bags it might be worth it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    you can use my hard case jordan, I can bring it tomorrow. used a hard case many times to myrtle and never had a problem. i wouldn't use anything else.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Awesome, thanks pal.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Fedex is expensive from Canada, clubs are considered a piece of luggage, therefore, it's only $25 on your flight. I use a soft travel bag and haven't any issues. I can pack more clothes in the bag and have a carry-on for the rest.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I was gonna say...You can borrow my Ogio Monster if you want. I've taken it to Arizona before as well.

Gap Wedge rando7777 is on a distinguished road
    I cut a hockey stick 1" longer than my driver and cover my irons with my socks and wrap the whole thing with bungee cords

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    Hard case is the way to go. Where are you going in AZ? I've got a place north of Scottsdale, so if you are in that area and looking for suggestions for courses, let me know. You can PM me.

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar
    Just make sure the car at the other end will hold the hard case.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Yeah, the problem with a big hard case is what do you do with it once you arrive. Many of them won't fit conveniently into the trunk of a car. It might fit in the back seat if that won't be occupied.

When I went to Scotland, I stored my borrowed (thanks John!) SKB hard case at the airport for a small fee.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    For peace of mind, you can carry the clubs onboard the plane with you no charge. I was flying Air Canada and had an isle seat. The flight attendant said I had to check them in because they were blocking the food cart, I told her if she can get the clubs from my kung-fu grip, then she can have it, okay?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Use a hard case for sure. United doesn't just break guitars. I guess they had to take all my clubs out of my bag to check for? and didn't put the putter back in. It ended up beneath my golf bag inside the softcover with quite a bent shaft when I got home.

Tucson, Arizona rocks!
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Use a hard case for sure. United doesn't just break guitars. I guess they had to take all my clubs out of my bag to check for? and didn't put the putter back in. It ended up beneath my golf bag inside the softcover with quite a bent shaft when I got home.

Tucson, Arizona rocks!
    Actually reminded me of a really good point - make sure you don't lock the case. Buddy of mine did that by accident. He was asked and said it wasn't locked and he thought it wasn't. It was. They were not gentle. Hard case showed up with TSA tape around it and a very broken area around where the lock used to be. Every single time I travel with clubs the bag is opened and inspected by TSA. They leave a tag inside the bag. They did forget to put one sock on one iron but never had them mess up like what happened to Stevek.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Actually reminded me of a really good point - make sure you don't lock the case. Buddy of mine did that by accident. He was asked and said it wasn't locked and he thought it wasn't. It was. They were not gentle. Hard case showed up with TSA tape around it and a very broken area around where the lock used to be. Every single time I travel with clubs the bag is opened and inspected by TSA. They leave a tag inside the bag. They did forget to put one sock on one iron but never had them mess up like what happened to Stevek.
    there are TSA approved locks, which they can open. Also don't leave your rangefinder, etc. in your bag or anything else small you might value.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    So you guys don't recommend a soft carry bag? That's the only kind I have at home; I was thinking of leaving my woods at home and travel with irons only.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Irons are less likely to break, but they can still be bent/kinked.

Just get a hard case. They last essentially forever, so if you travel more than a couple of times the cost per trip is very low.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I wouldn't but to each their own. there are advantages of the soft bag - it fits in a car better mostly, but I like the bulletproof protection of the hard shell. some airlines make you sign a waiver if you don't have a hard case.

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    I'm a fan of hard cases. I was flying to South Carolina a while ago and they shattered my hard shell case. I would hate to think what would have happened with a soft shell.

I should note that my university teammates routinely fly to Europe with no cover at all and they have never had any trouble. I have a feeling they are much more aggressive with hard cases.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    So you guys don't recommend a soft carry bag? That's the only kind I have at home; I was thinking of leaving my woods at home and travel with irons only.
    I've travelled a half dozen times with a soft case and the only problems were when they took clubs out of my bag and left them loose between the case and my bag. (Which would happen hard case or soft case.)Just fit as much bubblewrap (or old foam golf packing) pieces you can into the top of your bag between clubs and zipper close the raincover.

The only other problem I ever had was somehow one of the rollers was worn flat and seized.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    I've used both. Unless you are renting an SUV or truck while on vacation, I would personally recommend a collapsible case. It can't be understated how difficult it is to fit certain hard cases into a car. I've taken precaution preparing the soft case and never had any issues.

As previously noted, I think the attendants are actually violent with the hard cases. I had a new hard case that was nearly destroyed following one trip to Arizona. Lastly, I've never travelled without the hard case being opened and inspected.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    My experience with hard cases is poor, as I owned a previous hard case and had the handle snap right off while trying to load my clubs on a bus. Since then I went with a club glove and have not looked back. I will usually put a telescopic pole into my bag and set it so that its length is just greater than that of my driver. Never had any issues to date and have been travelling with my clubs a few times a year for over five years.

Thread Information