100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter mikefeeny is on a distinguished road

New to thread-- Need Advice!

Good Morning everyone! I am new to this forum and created an account because i need some advice!

I am 20 years old and am incredibly lucky to be in the position that I am in. My family just bought a new house, and my father advised me a couple of weeks ago that we need to build a "man cave." We've got the perfect room for this, it is not too big and is cozy, but is without question long enough and tall enough to house a theater/golf simulator. Before i get into the specifics, i want to say that i am by no means a talented golfer- to the point where i am too ashamed to even announce what i shoot- but i love the game and i play several times a week. Which is why i was thrilled when i got the green light to look into simulators.

I really like the Fullswing Simulator based on what ive seen. I love the online play component and the graphics and the fact that it can double as an HD home theater screen. In fact there is pretty much nothing i DONT like about it. But i am curious why i come on these threads and dont see more people mentioning them when it comes to their own set up or preferences. Is there something wrong with it? My dad is the owner of a successfull business and i do not know how to say this without sounding spoiled, but money is really not an issue when it comes to our set up. Is that why people do not go with the fullswing system? Ive seen a lot of people saying there budget is 20 10 or even 5k, and the fullswing simulator is around 60. Is this the only concern, or is there something wrong with the simulator??

Like i said, I am not a good golfer by any stretch, so if accuracy is the issue, i doubt it is bad enough that i would even notice..i just love the game and i think that the simulator looks like a blast!!

please someone shed any light that you can!!

sorry for the long post.

-Mike

8 Iron DFDubb is on a distinguished road
    Wish I was in your shoes lol. Seriously though, spend some time reading and researching on this site, there is a wealth of information that has been contributed by the regular and selfless posters.

I could tell you what I would do should money and space be no object, but I'm a low handicap who cares about nothing more than the accuracy of a SIM. I don't care about watching movies or making a dual use out of my SIM space. The fact of the matter is, that most of us here are confined not only by the size of the space that we have, but our budget as well, so everyone is going to prioritize things differently.

I can't speak to the FullSwing systems as I've never used one so I'll leave that to somebody that has, but good luck and I'll look you up the next time I'm in NY

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Why spend $60K when you can spend $6-15K and get something that is much better and more accurate? We have a thread on FullSwing golf around here somewhere. Basically, you are paying for a fully built system. With Protee or GC2, you will have to add projector and screen then build the enclosure/room yourself.

Most Full Swing systems don't measure nor estimate spin axis so shot shape is a joke. They recently added an option for a ball spin camera but I don't think anybody here has seen it in action.

7 Iron kinitex is on a distinguished road
    I 2nd what ZMax said, build the system from the ground up with your dad. Not only will you save a ton of money, and not only will you be able to build it exactly the way you want, you will also enjoy the process a lot more than you may think. You will then appreciate the finished product and know everything inside out and how to fix things if something goes wrong.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Mike

setting up a theatre /home sim is too simple. It is your choice how much you put into it.

I started with the mat as I believe that is where the accuracy starts. The hitting surface had to simulate a fairway and most mats on driving ranges and sims are anything but.

Mats such as Truestrike Gel and Divot Action do the job. I also have Real Feel but only use it as a different surface from time to time.

I also have younger kids and sensors on the ground would last 5 minutes with drink/chips/sweets/chocolate and other crap. I have had enough of taking the time to fix electronics/computers not to want to do it again, or for that matter to be worried about lighting.

As a result GC2, Trackman or Flightscope X2 were the only real options, perhaps Sportscoach. I dont have enough room for Dopplar radar and it is still debated how accurate the spin numbers are indoors anyway. So GC2 was the result. I have not had any regrets.

How much room do you have?

My Man/Kid cave has Playstation for Games and movies (3D projector as well), grass wall to wall, and a Simulator seat with Fanatec Clubsport (BMW and Formula rims) and V2 pedals with Buttkicker Advance strapped to the bottom, surround sound. Screen is 13 ft wide.

And I forgot- enough room for a beer fridge.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I have plenty of experience with Full Swing. I agree with ZMax. I have not used their spin cam. The Full Swing without the spin cam is not as good for measuring spin. Fact is that Full Swing I overpriced. Do some reading here and ask questions. Plenty of sims out there that are accurate and much lower priced!

And as well, the Full Swing online tournaments are not real time competitive play against another sim. It's simply score posting I don't think you connect and play with other sim!

which reminds me GC2 no online play despite the representation by Foresight

Yup, currently it's just score posting. E6 II is suppose to have real time online play. It will even allow online play across different platforms, i.e. Trugolf vs. Protee vs. Full Swing etc..

At the moment, only two systems offer real time online play. Protee and P3proswing.

CPA, what's the latest on Foresight online play? A couple of guys were going to test it out using virtual networks.

5 Iron mcook is on a distinguished road
    Mike,
    When I was researching sims, prior to finding this forum, I was convinced that the AboutGolf sim was a more accurate sim than the Full Swing so make sure you check that company as well. I spent about 6 years comparing these two sims at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando (hitting and watching many others hit balls). So, if money was no object, if I wanted to hit off all surfaces for right and left hitters, and if I wanted it to be turn key operation...I'd be looking at AboutGolf with 3Trak. Personally, my main deciding factors was cost, accuracy, online play, and many courses to play! I went with the ProTee and feel confident every day that I made the right choice for my situation. Good luck with this endeavor and enjoy the time with your dad once it's completed!

Z don't think it got off the ground. Can see why FS have not bothered if we cannot try.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Hi Mike, I'd suggest contacting Cory at Par2Pro for his assistance. He's super helpful and really knows his stuff.

Putter dubyaemdee is on a distinguished road
    CPA: I'm really interested in grabbing the TrueStrike Gel section, but their range mat sections are too pricey at $120/per. Any recommendations for a more affordable stance mat that I could slide next to it?

Duby
    My view is you just need the gel section without side rails. Just get good quality artificial turf for the stance section/room as it will wear with feet and ensure it is level with TS gel and secure.

Hey All, just an update to anyone who may be interested-

All of the replies i received definitley made me open my eyes and made me think twice before jumping into a big purchase like this, virtually blindly!

I did some research and it turns out that there is a golf simulator location less than an hour away from my house that has new full swing simulators! My brother and i stopped by the other day- and it was incredible! to anyone who has never played on a full swing machine- i highly reccomend it! Im not sure if many of the other simulators come with the touch screen interface that full swing has, but it was very interactive and easy to use!

In terms of accuracy, i played on the simulator pretty much EXACTLY how i play on a real course: poorly! i was very impressed with the accuracy of the IR sensors. Additionally, the full swing machine i am getting is with the upgraded ion performance camera which looks at clubhead data with a high speed camera! So i guess i will have both IR and high speed camera technology on my side!

Though some of you might not be the biggest fans of it, i wanted to say thanks for making me remain cautious and do the research to ease my mind!

I put the deposit down, and my full swing machine is being installed the first week of october! it cannot come soon enough!!

7 Wood Msuzippy is on a distinguished road
    !

Good luck mike. Certainly would not be my choice for a variety of reasons, mostly cost, but as long as you enjoy it, go for it. Keep us posted with pics etc.

OMG.... Double check with full swing before closing the deal. ION might not actually measure ball spin...

Well, the project has officially kicked off!! the room is currently a blank canvas and the builder started doing his thing a couple of days ago!

Full Swing was accomodating with their install process. What they are going to do is install the frame of the simulator on the 14th, then come back on november 4th and install all the electronics and "guts" of the simulator..this will give my builder and electrican time to finish the room around the simulator without getting dust everywhere on the finished product!!

I'm pumped for the man cave and if anyones interested ill be sure to take pictures throughout the process!

I do have one question for anyone else with a man cave/sim room..do you guys do anything fancy with your clubs? Since the winter is coming fast here in New York, i soon wont be golfing outdoors for a while, so ill be storing my clubs in the man cave..additionally, we have 2 other spare sets we'll be keeping in there..I dont want to just slap a golf bag down in the nice finished room..i wanted to display them nicely on some kind of wall mounted or floor mounted club holder to tuck away against a wall or in a corner..ive done a lot of research, but ive only found 1 or 2 places that sell them, and i was not thrilled with what they offered. If anyone is doing something similar, please let me know what youve done with your clubs!!

thanks as always!

-MF

5 Iron mcook is on a distinguished road
    Here's an idea that I got from another sim user (libbing). He bought one of these carts in the link below. He didn't like how the grips would periodically get intertwined so he bought the black shaft tubes dividers and secured them into each of the slips. Painted the entire thing black to match with the tubes. Worked really well for him and kept the clubs organized.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251180992268...84.m1438.l2649

Hey Mcook,

Thanks for the suggestion!! though thats not exactly the design i was looking for, you did lead me to ebay, which i had not previously checked. there is a great selection on there!

Thanks again

7 Wood GolfMonster2 is on a distinguished road
    Go for a real classy tour (staff) bag for your clubs e.g. Titleist, Callaway etc etc. It will really add a golf club feel to the room. I also glued together 60 odd balls into a range pyramid, but leave the top 5 loose. Next I'm going to put some pin flags on the remaining wall space that my golf pictures haven't covered.

Hey All-

The frame is in and the install will be complete in a couple of weeks!

here is the frame upon install:
    photo_2.jpg
    Here is the frame a couple of days later, after my builder began building it into the room:
    photo_3.jpg

That Half wall is where we are going to be mounting the touchscreen control panel!

Only a few weeks til the project is complete, and the room will look completley different!

7 Wood GolfMonster2 is on a distinguished road
    i'm jealous

Thread Information