CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

How to use handicaps on a course with separate nines?

On a course like Pakenham where there are 3 distinct nines, and each nine is rated separately, how does one use a handicap? I'm trying to google it but obviously am using the wrong terms.

Is there a system? I assume if I have an 8 handicap, I could give myself 4 strokes on each set of nines for the hardest holes, but what if somone has a 22? how do i decide which holes to assign the extra strokes to?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    On a course like Pakenham where there are 3 distinct nines, and each nine is rated separately, how does one use a handicap? I'm trying to google it but obviously am using the wrong terms.

Is there a system? I assume if I have an 8 handicap, I could give myself 4 strokes on each set of nines for the hardest holes, but what if somone has a 22? how do i decide which holes to assign the extra strokes to?
    I am sure that you know that you need to use your handicap factor to find the course handicap for the nines and tees that you are going to play. A chart, showing a CH for a given factor, should be posted somewhere in the club house. Each nine is handicapped 1-9, so just find handicap holes 1-4 for each nine that you are going to play.

Actually, I just found something on the BC golf site that is my answer, though your mention of course handicap led me to it in google!

17-4. 27-Hole Courses
    Strokes should be allocated to each nine holes separately 1 through 9. When two
    nines are combined for a handicap competition, the odd stroke-hole allocations
    should be on the nine holes considered the first nine, and the even stroke-hole
    Section 17
    allocations should be on the second nine. The example below shows the strokehole
    allocation for two nines combined for a competition.

First Nine Second Nine
    Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    9-Hole
    Allocation 5 4 9 2 8 1 3 7 6 4 9 2 1 3 5 6 8 7
    18-Hole
    Allocation 9 7 17 3 15 1 5 13 11 8 18 4 2 6 10 12 16 14

it looks much prettier in the PDF, but this is the gist.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    Actually, I just found something on the BC golf site that is my answer, though your mention of course handicap led me to it in google!

17-4. 27-Hole Courses
    Strokes should be allocated to each nine holes separately 1 through 9. When two
    nines are combined for a handicap competition, the odd stroke-hole allocations
    should be on the nine holes considered the first nine, and the even stroke-hole
    allocations should be on the second nine.*
    The example below shows the strokehole
    allocation for two nines combined for a competition.

First Nine Second Nine
    Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    9-Hole
    Allocation 5 4 9 2 8 1 3 7 6 4 9 2 1 3 5 6 8 7
    18-Hole
    Allocation 9 7 17 3 15 1 5 13 11 8 18 4 2 6 10 12 16 14

it looks much prettier in the PDF, but this is the gist.
    * Unless the second nine is statistically more difficult (i.e. higher rating/slope), then it's recommended the allocations should be even/odd.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    * Unless the second nine is statistically more difficult (i.e. higher rating/slope), then it's recommended the allocations should be even/odd.
    Ok, I haven't finished my first coffee yet, but what do you mean by this? You mean Even allocations should go on the front nine and odd on the back?

For all I know Pakenham has something that will tell me all this anyway, but it's good to learn for my education.

Thread Information