CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    S. Girvin

Swing speed vs. Tempo ?

I know there is a mixed bag of feelings on this topic.
    I have gone through 6 different driver configurations over the past 5 years from a steelhead reg/steelhead plus firm/ steelhead plus UST stiff/ Mizuno t-zoid forged stiff/ t-zoid bi-matrix stiff. All Ok but no OUCH! until now I purchased a 10 deg. Ping tec from Murray at pro golf with the grafalloy tour reg shaft. Which if the first 2 rounds of the season count for anything. Playing in the wet over the weekend I had 10 drives of > 260 plugged walking it off from the 100 marker. It seems I found my combination. My question is why so long. Chucks, T&L, Nevada bobs in TO all told me stiff. They messured my swing speed 110 - 118 asked how far I hit a 5 iron, what I play from 150 ball flight etc... I hit the ping web site they say stiff or possibly extra ?

What's up. Frankly I don't care what's on the staff i'm looking for results and i think I found it to bad is took a fist full $$$$ to figure it out. I will never drop another dime a chucks.

Does anyone else play a regular flex driver with moderate to higher swing speed. Is it the tempo that allows the reg?
    Last edited by S. Girvin; 04-17-2002 at 10:18 AM.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road

Tempo vs Swing speed

Normally, if you want distance, you can use a more flexible shaft. For control, it is recommended to use a stiffer shaft. It also depends of the manufacturer. For instance, shafts used by Callaway are like noodles even if it is regular or firm. If you remember, the first bubble shafts used by Taylor Made were really stiff.

It all depends upon the style of game you want to play. For me, as a long hitter, I prefer having a strong and heavy shaft. But, it is really a personal choice. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think John Daly is (or was) using a regular shaft on his Titleist 975J. It shows that the swing speed rate and the choice of shaft is only one parameter to take into account. My best advice is to try demo clubs with all sorts of flexes and shafts before spending too much money.

Thread Information