100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road

pracitce putting in between holes

hi

i know that under the USGA you are allowed to practice your putting between holes (in either match or stroke play) as long as you are not holding up the group behind you, what i don;t know is if this is the same case under RCGA? can someone confirm for me with the relevant rule cited?

Thank you

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    The OVGA, Golf Quebec and GAO all have it in their Standard Local Rules that you CANNOT practice your putting between holes. It has to be a local rule.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The PGA Tour, the Masters and the European Tour do not permit it.
    The R&A and USGA do.

Lob Wedge JGT4 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nexxo View Post
    hi

i know that under the USGA you are allowed to practice your putting between holes (in either match or stroke play) as long as you are not holding up the group behind you, what i don;t know is if this is the same case under RCGA? can someone confirm for me with the relevant rule cited?

Thank you
    Just for some additional clarity to the previous answers:

During Round
    7-2. A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.
    Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:
    a. the putting green of the hole last played,
    b. any practice putting green, or
    c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).
    Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.
    Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 7-2:
    Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.
    In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole.
    Note 1: A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules.
    Note 2: The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), prohibit:
    (a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and
    (b) rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played.

So you will see that under the Rules it is permitted with certain restrictions unless it is prohibited by the Committee via published conditions of competition (not a local rule). See Note 2.

You asked about R.C.G.A., now Golf Canada. As Golf Canada is responsible for the Rules in this country, the entire Rule as above is in effect in Canada. On the other hand, In Golf Canada competitions, the condition of competition is in effect as it is published on their "hard card" , 2013 Conditions of Competition and Standard Local Rules .

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    perfect, that is great. so as i read the above, during a regular round, practice is permitted between holes as long long as not holding up the group behind. but during ovga etc sponsored events it would not be permitted due to the committee rules

thanks

Thread Information