100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Caveman is on a distinguished road Caveman's Avatar

Help!! Chipping yips are killing me...

Hey all - wondering if anyone has ever had the chip yips? I have been struggling for a couple of years now and it is really frustrating me. I have starting to chip from the right side (I'm a lefty) and that is working but it limits my short game as I only carry a single right handed club with me (9-iron).

It has recently started to creep into my longer putts as well. Its like when I goto hit the ball my brain is SCREAMING at my body to not go through with the swing as any number of horrific things could result (skull it into a playing partners head, hit it fat, miss the green, break a window etc...).

I am capable of completely wiffing on a chip depending on how loud the scream is.

Its not pretty. I have considered a wholesale change to the right side but not sure. I used to be a high 80's/low 90's golfer but am now lucky if I break 100.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Caveman; 07-22-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Erroneous title.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Take a SLOW , deliberate back swing , and it will help you make a smooth swing through to impact on your downswing , which is probably the main reason why your chipping is so bad (most bad chip shots happen when you decelerate on your downswing).
    Lots of practice , and don't get stressed , have fun .
    Hope this helps
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I used to have yips, so I put the ball way back in my stance (inside right heel) opened my clubface, aligned my shoulders LEFT of my target, and bam! Im chipping like a boss
    You only get out of something what you put into it

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    First advice -- don't take advice from someone who can't break 100. Second advice -- set the length of your backswing to match the distance, and then focus on a followthrough that carries the clubhead a lot farther than you think it should have to go.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    Here is something four-time major winner Raymond Floyd had to say about chipping:

Once you have a sound, confident method, your success on the course will depend on your ability to visualize - allowing yourself to take the shot into your computer (brain) and let your body react. Most bad chips are caused by freezing up and not trusting what your brain has told you. In the worst case, this causes the "chip yips," which I've seen afflict even some tour players. You have to trust yourself. - from The Elements of Scoring

Basically, if you have a mechanically sound chipping stroke, then you should look at making some changes in your pre-shot routine. Do you chip to a specific spot on the green? Most pros recommend this, as it gets you "target-focused," rather than swing-focused.

By the way, The Elements of Scoring is a great book on how to score at golf. It doesn't talk about the golf swing, just how to think your way around a golf course.

Putter Caveman is on a distinguished road Caveman's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the response - I will probably be working on this for the rest of my life from what I have read. This may sound odd but a Youtube video suggest that I not look at the ball while hitting it - rather be looking at the place where I want it to land. This seems to show some promise on some off course practice - a bit weird not looking at the ball at impact though.

While I am working on it I continue to chip from the other side which works perfectly. I am just limited with a single club to chip with.
    Thanks again - all responses appreciated.

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Thanks everyone for the response - I will probably be working on this for the rest of my life from what I have read. This may sound odd but a Youtube video suggest that I not look at the ball while hitting it - rather be looking at the place where I want it to land. This seems to show some promise on some off course practice - a bit weird not looking at the ball at impact though.

While I am working on it I continue to chip from the other side which works perfectly. I am just limited with a single club to chip with.
    Thanks again - all responses appreciated.
    One thing you might try is to stare at the target just before your swing, then look down at the ball but keep an image of the target in your mind's eye. That way your looking at the ball, but seeing the target and kind of put the two together. This is what a lot of great chippers (and putters) do, including Raymond Floyd. And Tiger Woods.

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    I chip a lot better with my feet together , watched a guy in the intersectionals get up and down from everywhere , since I started doing this might have only missed one chip

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    you need to go to a good practice facility and work on it
    only bring your wedges that way you won't succumb to the temptation of hitting longer irons and woods
    won't be fixed by reading advice and then trying it on course during a round

better yet take a lesson from a pro and keep working on it

Thread Information