CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

.10 cent fuse costs 1400.00

Here is one for the books. My wife's 2010 Dodge Caliber has windshield wiper issues.
    They stopped working. It seems there is no dedicated fuse for the front wiper motor. It is part of a TIPS system (Totaly Inclosed Power Supply)

I checked with Chrysler Canada--the car is 13 days off warranty and 5500 km below warranty milage. They won't do anything to help.

The cost to repair,
    a) diagnostic--basic 110.00 plus HST

b) cost of new TIPS---997.00 plus HST

c) labour-min 1 hr @ 110.00 plus HST

TOTAL MINIMUM COST----1375.00

Unbelievable---if anyone has any suggestions--please let me know. The wiper motor works fine---I wired directly to check and all other functions on column lever work as well.

My solution---bypass complete system and install new dedicated wiper swith ??????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

6 Iron triplets is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Here is one for the books. My wife's 2010 Dodge Caliber has windshield wiper issues.
    They stopped working. It seems there is no dedicated fuse for the front wiper motor. It is part of a TIPS system (Totaly Inclosed Power Supply)

I checked with Chrysler Canada--the car is 13 days off warranty and 5500 km below warranty milage. They won't do anything to help.

The cost to repair,
    a) diagnostic--basic 110.00 plus HST

b) cost of new TIPS---997.00 plus HST

c) labour-min 1 hr @ 110.00 plus HST

TOTAL MINIMUM COST----1375.00

Unbelievable---if anyone has any suggestions--please let me know. The wiper motor works fine---I wired directly to check and all other functions on column lever work as well.

My solution---bypass complete system and install new dedicated wiper swith ??????
    if you were in the Greely area there is a garage Stagra who could advise you! I personally would contact Chrysler direct, phone, write. only a few days off warranty I am sure they could do something. Some local garages are very good but you need to trust them for this amount of money.

7 Wood rustyspurs is on a distinguished road
    Very sad. They sure don't want repeat customers. Of course they want you to buy a new car with warranty. Cars and car repair prices have gotten way out of line. In my experience mostly bad all of the car brands operate the same way. I have switched brands a lot and tried most of them only to be treated the same way you have been for various mechanical issues. Frustrating but part of motoring life.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    There must be a DIY on youtube where someone has done this.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hi guys---thanks for comiseration. I have been all over the internet on this one and it's the same story.
    This TIPM is actually the fuse box itself---there is no single fuse that controls the front wiper motor---it is incorpoated inside the sealed unit----so there is nothing to replace ouside of the unit. This is also the case for the lights and door locks, which is also having the same problem with other vehicles--the smaller jeep models.

So far what I have got is a reply from the "call center" saying "go to a dealer and have the problem diagnosed--cost of 110.00--then report back to us and then we will decide if we do anything" Even if they say we will go 50/50 that is too much money to spend for a problem that is running rampent in this vehicle.

I am going to take one more shot today at finding a Chrysler Rep in Eastern Ontario to sit down with and have a talk with--this seems so simple but it also may be a sign of the times---------big business does not give a XXXX about anything other than the bottom line----even when they screw up.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Have you checked used auto parts? I once had a similar issue with a an electric window motor. Initial estimate from the dealer was over a $1000. After whining they brought it down to half. Finally had it replaced by a used auto part store for $250. Call the guy from A16. Name is Billy. He might be able to steer you in the right direction if Chrysler does not budge.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    A quick search on ebay.com shows that you can get a module for 500-600 US, so there is a 400 saving.

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=31475 is a dedicated caliber site, and they should be able to walk you through unplugging and installing the module...

1 Iron CaptainHook is on a distinguished road CaptainHook's Avatar
    One thing I can tell you having worked in the motorcycle and now car business for about 5 years, when you call back, start mentioning your disappointment and how in the next little while you're going to be shopping for a replacement vehicle for this one (say it's because it's now off of warranty and you're looking for something new for the peace of mind). Then tell them you're utterly disgusted that they will not help their customers who are less then a month off of warranty and that you are now contemplating a Honda/Toyota/Ford/Chevy (ANYTHING but Chrysler products) because their consumer reviews state that they care about their customers. Chances are you will be forwarded to a customer retention/crisis management person at the call center. These people are significantly more willing to help you then the front line phone jockeys.

EDIT: The other thing you should do is make a posting on dealerrater.ca - if your dealership is a member of this network, and you give them a negative review, the website will contact the dealership and they will try and make it better for you before your negative review goes live (usually about 72 hours from the time you post). PM me for my experience with a local Hyundai dealer and how this was rectified with dealer raters help.

A small update----I followed Chryslers directions and paid a dealership 125.00 to tell me what I already new. It is the TIPM that is faulty and my request for service has been escalated. There is a "field service rep" that has not been contacted and the final decision will be made by the dealer service manager (who refuses to acknowledge same) This from Chrysler Canada.

All this is telling me--------don't buy anything today without a full warranty to cover the length of time you want to use said item.

I am purposely not identifying dealer for now----------I will update one way or the other.

The real funny thing is---this is a second car-------I just received a flyer from Hyundai------We can purchase a brand new auto with 5 year 100,000 km full warranty for 154.00 per month--------no stress. Mind you a basic car; but you don't need a Mercedes as a second car. I can also purchase from a GM dealer a fleet 2013 Impala LT with 32000 km and the balance of a 5 year 160,000 km warranty for 16,000 less my trade.

Now I see why after all these years--if you can--trade your vehicle every 3 years. LOL

I have been a loyal GM guy for 52 years-------------never ever a problem. Unfortunately the boss liked the Dodge---until now !!!

Thumbs up Orleans Dodge comes through

Major Update---Chrysler has come through with the parts--Orleans Dodge has agreed to install and calibrate for 110.00----so it looks like instead of 1400.00 --it will be a total of 250.00-no complaints here.

Thanks to Guy---the service manager.

Thread Information