100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road

Question How to square Hips & Shoulders at address

I went to visit Gregg Foley last week for a 30 minute driver lesson. He had me hitting consistent shots 30 seconds after I arrived with a few very minor tweaks.

One of those tweaks was ensuring my hips were square to my target line at address. He helped me set up to it, and when I swung the ball went exactly where expected.

Unfortunately I've had difficulty taking it to the course and i still find my hips open at address. Short of someone standing behind me to tell me when my hips are square are there any tricks people use to ensure you're square?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Take your stance over the ball and place your club across the front of your hips. Adjust your hips (if needed) until the shaft is pointing towards your target. You can do the same thing with your shoulders.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Although I'm sure that works well I was hoping for a method that wouldn't get me ridiculed at Men's night

Is there a way that I can start my set up that would help with that? For example, I see some people start over the ball with their feet together then step in one direction, then the other... does that help? Is there another pre-shot routine that would help?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Although I'm sure that works well I was hoping for a method that wouldn't get me ridiculed at Men's night

Is there a way that I can start my set up that would help with that? For example, I see some people start over the ball with their feet together then step in one direction, then the other... does that help? Is there another pre-shot routine that would help?
    Nah, nobody will mock you. It only takes a couple of seconds. Golfers do it all the time.

If you're that self conscious, another thing you can try is using your knees as a guide. When you're in your stance, if your hips are lined up, you should be able to see pretty much the same of the top of each foot. If your hips are open, you'll see more of your front foot. If your hips are closed, you'll see more of your back foot.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Nah, nobody will mock you. It only takes a couple of seconds. Golfers do it all the time.

If you're that self conscious, another thing you can try is using your knees as a guide. When you're in your stance, if your hips are lined up, you should be able to see pretty much the same of the top of each foot. If your hips are open, you'll see more of your front foot. If your hips are closed, you'll see more of your back foot.
    Actually there's one guy at our course that we mock for it. HAHAHA!! To be honest though, we only do it because he is a complete donkey.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I think part of the problem is trusting the square setup, especially if you are comfy lining up open. Maybe make an effort to get the change out of the way early in the round so you strart off on the right foot?

Thread Information