CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Cutting Driver Shaft

So most shafts come a standard uncut length I'm assuming. Then if someone orders 1/2" over for example, the shaft is cut to that specific length. What happens if you want to change the length to standard? Are you changing the shaft properties a lot when you do this? I'm also assuming length is adjust from the butt?

I'm just trying to figure out at what point is the flex of the shaft changed or other properties. The manufacturers advertise shaft properties, but don't really mention anything about how they will change when the length changes an inch.

I know with hockey stick shafts, you stiffen the flex every increment you cut them down. There used to be lines on the Easton shafts that gave you a new flex.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There is not a lot of difference when you shorten by 1/2 an inch. The length is typically adjusted by trimming the butt because all you have to do is regrip it. You could adjust from the tip end. This would affect the feel and stiffness more than adjusting from the butt.

The question with both adjustments is whether you would notice it or not. Depending on the shaft and how good your feel is you might not notice any difference in how it plays.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

So what you're saying is you won't have a problem cutting a shaft to standard for me? ;-)

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    On a frequency meter every inch cut from the butt equals +- 10 cpms(cycles per minute) Let's assume that 10 cpms is one flex stiffer if you shorten the shaft from the butt length. If you do not add weight to the head after you have shortened it then it will play stiffer. However by doing so you will also change the swingweight(balance point) of the club.Every inch will yield a 6 swingweight point change. What is standard length to you?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Standard in my opinion, would be the raw shaft length minus the recommended tipping by the manufacturer. 45.25" seems to be "standard" these days...Unless you're Taylormade and sell longer shafts to promote more distance.

I guess what I'm getting at is that when you custom order something, and you are fitted for 1" over standard, do manufacturers add weight to the head? OR do they just trim the butt and call it good?

And then if you were to buy a driver from someone who was fitted for 1" over or say even .5" over, would trimming the butt cause the shaft to play stiffer?

I'm assuming with clubs that do not have external weights, there are limitations to adding weight to a driver head?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

I guess what I'm getting at is that when you custom order something, and you
    are fitted for 1" over standard, do manufacturers add weight to the head? OR do
    they just trim the butt and call it good?
    I have no clue but what I know is that they are shooting for a a swingweight in the range of D2. Standard for steel used to be 43. Then came slightly lighter graphite shafts so standard for graphite became 44 inches.Then came the super light graphite shafts and they made the clubs even longer with lighter heads to stay within the D2 range. I have here a Cobra driver at 46 inches and it comes in at D5. There is a limit to pushing the length of a club for distance. I do not hit this club longer than my 44 inches driver but I spray it a lot more.
    Back to your question. Not adding weight to the head and cutting the shaft will make it play stiffer. 1/2 inch= 1/2 a flex. you can get a feel for it by choking down on the club.
    Weight can be added to the clubhead using various methods. Tungsten weight in the tip of the shaft. Lead tape on the head. Head drilled and rat glue inserted inside the head(head will be plugged after using a bore through plug. But first and that's the tricky part you have to find the swingweight that is right for you
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information