100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OGClub

Jazman105

OGClub

Phoned up 3 OGC (?) courses yesterday. Two hadn't heard of Ottawa Golf and the third said that since there were more people showing up waving their cards than there were memberships given out- they weren't accepting ANY OGC members. They were also still waiting for their computers to either show up or be fixed, I'm not sure which.

Funny booking system here too. Is there any other system going to be implemented or do I have to book and phone all year (if I join).

I also know of one course that is still waiting to hear anything from Dan. He's advertising their course and people are phoning, but they're still writing out their t times on paper while Dan gets there to hook em up.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It is possible that some proshop people have not been properly briefed on the program.

We have been making several last minute refinements to the system, which have been requested by some of the new courses coming online. This has delayed our online launch just a bit. I am affraid that that has caused some confusion with the members, as to the proceedure for booking.

NOBODY should just go to the course and wave the card. They must book with us first. The course is quite correct in refusing those who do this.

Systems are being installed this week, and we should be in full online operation after next weekend.

I have been in touch with all the courses, and appointments have been set up for installations.

We appologise to all who have been inconvenienced by this "sputtery" start to the season. Bear with us, it will settle down very soon.

Pitching Wedge Dave B is on a distinguished road Dave B's Avatar

Angry

Hey take it easy on the club. I was a member last year and am now a member this year and got 6 others to join there is a reason for that. The service is good just like it takes a course a few weeks to get in shape so does the club. The reservation system is great. When it is ready you can pick your time and book your spot quickly and easily. Im sorry that you did not read posts but as a member Dan has kept us well informed with the progress of the system
    Also I am not a relative of Dan or anymember who runs the program just a very satisfied golfer from last year !!!
    Last edited by Dave B; 04-17-2002 at 08:57 PM.

Putter dbmccall is on a distinguished road

Smile Club and Courses

For sure, not everything is going to run perfectly at the begining of the year. This is my first year as a member with the OGC and am impressed with the way Dan has kept my group up to date on the progress of the Club and the courses involved.Heck, it's still only early April so let's take a pill, let Dan do his work,and we will all be happy hackers soon enough.

Jazman105
    I apologize if I came across as a bit of a harda**, but you can see things from my side of the fence too.

I'm looking at spending $200.00 for the capability of golfing at a number of courses. I then get to golf half price at said courses. 12-15+ times using OGClub means that I come to the same monetary amount ($200+$170=$370) as if I paid to golf full price.After that is a better deal (1/2 from then on).

I then phoned some of the courses-but not all-just the ones I'll be going to. One had heard of but no info on OG, second hadn't heard of OG at all, and third was waiting for Dan's comp to show up (I phoned last night to confirm) so they could start using his system. The problem was that more people were showing up (2 w/ reservations, more w/o) than there were memberships given. The owner's answer- pay to golf now, figure it out with OGClub after.

As I said, if I'm going to be spending $800-$1200/year to golf 50-70 times I'm doing my homework. Maybe I just got the last 3 that Dan talked to, no idea. But enough people apparently like OGClub that I'll give it a look. I'm not bashing, just telling my findings.

Pitching Wedge MooseKnuckle is on a distinguished road
    Dave B:

:crying

Take it easy man, I don't think he meant anything personal about it. I am not a member myself, but I'm sure if I had the time to play more often, it would likely be a good purchase.

Also, when there are bugs in the system that are being fixed, and someone is not familiar with the way things work with the membership, there is bound to be a frustrating moment or two. I'm sure that everything is fine, and no hard feelings by all, but I would find it frustrating as well, but I don't really know how it works with members.

On another note, would it be worth my while to consider a membership in this? I'm lucky to golf once a week, and I am all over the city, so a wide variety of courses offered would be a huge plus. What is this membership best suited for? The once a weeker, or the everyday type?

Thanks.
    Playing golf is very similar to life.

You gotta have lots of spare balls in your bag to make the perfect score, cause over time, your going to lose some of them...:shot

2 Iron JimmyW is on a distinguished road JimmyW's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dave B
    ..... and I take offence to your ignorance in berating a system that you know nothing about or have taken the time to investigate

Also I am not a relative of Dan or anymember who runs the program just a very satisfied golfer from last year !!!
    Originally posted by Jazman105

I'm looking at spending $200.00 for the capability of golfing at a number of courses. I then get to golf half price at said courses. 12-15+ times using OGClub means that I come to the same monetary amount ($200+$170=$370) as if I paid to golf full price.After that is a better deal (1/2 from then on).

I then phoned some of the courses.....
    One had heard of but no info on OG,....
    second hadn't heard of OG at all,.....
    and third was waiting for Dan's comp to show up (I phoned last night to confirm).....

As I said, if I'm going to be spending $800-$1200/year to golf 50-70 times I'm doing my homework......

I'm not bashing, just telling my findings.
    I'm a member here also, and I've never golfed so much in my life. Once a week during the week at Poplar and at Cloverdale plus the odd one thrown in. Total $27 roughly a week. In MHO it's worth it.

Jaz- the homeworks worth it

Dave- take a pill. I hope there aren't TOO many more members like you. Read his post.

JW

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    OK people...

Dan is doing a very good thing for the Valley. In my opinion, if you want to put this site and all of it's members down please go to another site like www.thispagecannotbedisplayed.com . This site is for the people who don't complain about bad golf, it's about complaining about bad shots. But at least we enjoy every second of it.

The Shtick
    Last edited by The Shtick; 04-17-2002 at 01:06 AM.

I agree.

Dan is doing a great thing for the region by making most of its courses available with the touch of a key, so you know what your getting when you get there.

It's great to take a course tour, or find out prices or promotions. The OG Club also sounds like a good way to save some money. How much to join?

Dan is my hero.

I agree with Schtik.

You gotta have lots of spare balls in your bag to make the perfect score, cause over time, your going to lose some of them...:shot

2 Iron JimmyW is on a distinguished road JimmyW's Avatar

Clarification please

Originally posted by The Shtick
    OK people...

In my opinion, if you want to put this site and all of it's members down please go to another site like......

The Shtick
    Maybe I'm just reading this the wrong way, but was there anyone in particular that you were referring to??

JW

Pitching Wedge Dave B is on a distinguished road Dave B's Avatar
    Ok this is getting silly, Jazman you clarified your additional post and I can understand why you may have been concerned. I admit my word choice was off the cuff and not warranted in this case So for that I apologize. As for Jimmy i can assure you that Dan and the group wish there were MANY members like me. I am a a lover of the game as well and often play Cloverdale too, lets hook up for a game sometime and really get to know each other !!

Also Mooseknuckle regarding if a casual player should join it works out this simply Your membership is 200.00 after about 10-12 rounds at half price you have gotten back your membership fee over paying full price and the rest is pure savings. Many other advantages to the membership, more apt to play on a weather questionable day or only when you have 3-4 hrs etc.

I certainly do appreciate all the support. It was nice to come back after a long day and see that. I will not comment on the flame war that almost got started here, other than to say, please all read the forum rules and avoid directing jabs at each other.
    Use smiley's liberally, as it helps to show that you are not nessesarily meaning things the way they may come off, or are hard to express in short typed messages.

An update:
    Nigel and I spent today installing new systems, and all new software in 4 courses. 3 more are scheduled for tomorrow. 3 more the day after that. By the weekend they should all be in place. We are letting the courses use the new stuff for a few days before going live online sometime next week.
    This is a major upgrade to last year's software and we admit we are a bit behind where we should be today. 27degrees in April... thanks a lot :brownsung

We still have a few very minor issues to work out with those pesky last minute enhancements but it is looking really solid.
    Another week or so and nobody will remember the bumps, but we will be enjoying the golf.

Jazman105

In Response

Originally posted by Dave B
    As for Jimmy i can assure you that Dan and the group wish there were MANY members like me.
    With all due respect I beg to differ. Jimmy didn't answer that comment but I find it encumbant upon myself to reply to your commentary.

First of all I have read the forum rules and any comments that I make at this point are to be taken in the context of one who has read the applicable posts and am voicing my opinion as I see it, and any "flaming"* perceived is purely unintentional()

Secondly, although I have not posted until this week does not mean that I have not been actively looking at this site or this venture (re..."I take offence to your ignorance in berating a system that you know nothing about or have taken
    the time to investigate"). I phoned the applicable courses, tried the demo golf booking, and talked to at least one owner as of my first post. As for searching past posts- I have. That being said, I did see a great number of posts applauding the OGClub. The only questionable factor regarding the laudatory opinions expressed is just that- opinions. Opinions are subjective. Therefore I presented my findings and asked questions, and received some interesting responses from a number (at least one)* of the members.

Thirdly, I MUST respond to what I believe is faulty thinking on Dave's part concerning the above-mentioned quote. If I were seriously thinking of joining (which I am later today) and then decided not to based on Dave's response, Dave would have to golf another 13 times to make up for my membership money that Dan no longer would get, followed by golfing twice as much to equal the number of times that I would have golfed at OGClub. To reiterate someone elses post, and this is not to be considered a flame- just my opinion, I hope that there aren't too many members like you.

I enjoy a good round of golf, with down to earth people, a good time had by all, but if the OGClub has people such as Dave speaking on their behalf, I'm sure things probably wouldn't be the same.

I know this is a sticky situation, and I have no intent to "flame" anybody, but I think it would be best left up to the people who run the club to respond to people on it's behalf. It really sounds like a great deal, and Dan seems to have a good grasp on the procedures of this club (well, he's the one who set it up, isn't he?), but I am writing to agree with the opinion made public in the previous post.

Looking forward to joining, and hopefully, I get the chance to play often enough.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking lets play golf !!!

First let me say that I DO NOT have a position or am associated with the OG CLUB. I am just a member like the rest of you. These are solely my opinions............

The OttawaGolf Club is a great thing for the area golfer who does like to play more than 20 rounds of golf and I will certainly save some money this year playing my 40 - 50 weekday rounds. I am also a member of the OG Tour for that matter and my weekends rounds will be saved for tour events and my other tournaments.

I think we should let Dan finish getting the kinks out and then, lets enjoy our golf!

btw ....round three in the books!!!!!!! hehehehe
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Experience from other clubs - Warning Long Message

I haven't had any experience with OGClub, but I have had experience with others.

From what I can see, this is still early in the year, Dan is working hard to get things set up, he is adding new golf courses to the mix, and that all takes time.

My biggest complaint with the other clubs, was that the way they are setup doesn't fit in with my golfing habits. I tend to be a "The weather's good, let's go golfing" kind of person. Or I will get a call "forcing" me to skip out on work and hit the links. When I tried to call into the other clubs to set up a tee-time, all that were available were the low end courses, or the ones way out of town (it was tough to get out to Heritage late in the afternoon and get finished), so I ended up paying regular prices. With limited memberships at the courses, people would phone in as soon as they could to book the more popular courses, leaving the leftovers.

From what I saw from last year and this year, Dan has and is working on that. With an extended list of courses, and with using an on-line system, it minimizes Dan's resources, he doesn't have to sit by the phone all morning, or pay someone to. In the overview section of the Club web page, it says:

Some of our competitors have overcrowded memberships. We have heard a lot about this from people enquiring about our new club. We do not expect to be anywhere near capacity in the early going.We will watch the ratios closely and if needed we will acquire more memberships to accommodate the members. While it is difficult to predict exactly how this will pan out in a new operation, we assure you that we will do our best to ensure that this ratio is good for all.

Another thing that Dan has is Temporary memberships. I did some research and this appears the best way to go for me. I am limited to the number of rounds that I buy, e.g. 10 rounds for 220 plus taxes, but it gives me the freedom of booking the occasional course, while still being flexible to take advantage of spur of the moment rounds. I will find out if it is the way to go with minimal investment.

Will the Club work for everyone? Probably not. Similar clubs have not worked for me because of my golfing patterns. I will find out how well the club works for me with my temporary membership. It's a way to test out the waters without having to golf 20-30 times through the club to get my money back. My advice is this though. If you think it might work for you, try it out. Test with a temporary membership, or go full out and get a full membership.

It will take some time to get this going properly. Let's not kill it before it gets a chance to prove itself.

Cheers
    Colby

P.S. I had the opportunity to get partnered on the weekend with a twosome who turned out to be members of the club. It was one of the most enjoyable rounds that I have had in the last couple of years.

Putter dbmccall is on a distinguished road
    Too bad the clubhouse wasn't open so we could've had a beer to finish off that round!
    See ya on the course buddy.
    Durham and Marty.
    H.Andy Capp

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Clubhouse Drinks

Well Durham,

I picked up a temporary membership in the club, I'm still waiting for my card, but we should get out again once I get it.

Then we'll have that drink!

Dave

Jazman105
    Hear Ye, Hear Ye.

Let it be known that Dave and I have officially made up (smilies on my Netscape don't work so pls insert Smilie of your choice here)

Dave, YGM

Originally posted by Jazman105
    smilies on my Netscape don't work so pls insert Smilie of your choice here
    Netscape does not, and never has properly supported the current internet standards. :crying
    This forum is a product of Jelsoft Enterprises (see page bottom), and I am a bit suprised that it does not 100% support Netscape, but not really suprised. I gave up trying to support a flakey old browser that requires so many "workarounds" and is now only used by about 5% of surfers a long time ago.

Do yourself a favour and switch to IE6. Once you get used to it it is way better (in my opinion), and suddenly websites will work as expected

Pitching Wedge GrantTotten is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Better yet, use Opera

The Opera web browser is great. I've been using it for about 6 months now, and it really does the trick. It:
    * is fast
    * can load multiple web pages into any number of "tabs" (very good for those of us behind a slow modem)
    * can pretend to be IE, Netscape, or others
    * supports all the latest internet standards
    * is fast (I know, I said that already, but it bears repeating)
    * has built-in email (can support checking multiple accounts all at once)
    * has a news reader (haven't really played with it)
    * has instant messaging (again, haven't really played with it)

The multiple-document interface is especially nice. Let's say you're surfing www.slashdot.org -- a "news for nerds" web site that often has lots of links to lots of interesting things. Usually I want to follow a few of these links, and I'm sitting behind a 28.8K modem. No problem -- all I have to do is hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys while clicking on a link. Opera opens the link in a new tab and loads the document in the background, allowing me to continue reading slashdot. Once I've finished reading the main slashdot page, I close it and read the other pages that I've loaded in the other tabs. By the time I've finished reading one, the others are more than likely already loaded, giving me what feels like "instant" web access.

Sorry for the gushing, but I just can't say enough nice things about Opera.

In order to have something related to the OGClub discussion, I think my golfing patterns (as posted above) will also prevent me from really taking advantage of the club.

On a (somewhat) related note, I started taking lessons from Ross Leeder @ the Conley Driving Range. He's great. With one lesson, he's helped me clean up my grip and takeaway to the point where my shots are >30 yards longer and much straighter. I've got another lesson next week where we're going to work on tempo. I can't wait to try out my new swing on the course. (Well, speak of the devil -- I just received a message from my golfing buddies inviting me to a quick trip around the Thunderbird to work on the short game

Cheers,
    Grant
    Argh! Another slice...

Thread Information