CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tee it Forward

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Tee it Forward

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the new Tee It Forward initiative being promoted.
    It focuses on people moving up a set of tees to make the game more enjoyable and help speed up play?
    Would you ever do this?

I firmly believe you should be able to consistently shoot at least in the 70s beforeoving back a set of tees. I know people disagree with me, but I played whites until I was a single digit capper, and shot a few rounds in the 60s.
    Now I play blues whenever possible unless my playing partners all play whites.

I think tee decks should be chosen based on ability and not as much the distance you hit your clubs.

If you can't score from the whites, then the blues are too tough for you.

I wish more guys would play whites!

7 Iron class1947 is on a distinguished road

Tee it Forward

Not sure why this idea took so long to get started most recreational golfers struggle to break 100.If they thought seriously about their abilities they might enjoy the game more and might even speed things up. Several clubs have moved the WHITES up to where the senior tees were previously and management has noticed a significant improvement in speed of play.

I think courses need to do a better job of deciding on yardages. They need white to be less than 6,000 and then have a set of Blue and a set of Black. It is tough to battle against the male ego, and a lot of guys refuse to play whites.
    If courses keep Blue less than 6,500 and then have Blacks it gives better options and might speed up play.

I hate hearing people say "well I can't hit my driver on this course because its too short" when in most cases that means "I am not accurate enough with my driver on shorter, tighter holes".

Anyways, I hope people look at this seriously and courses offer more tee decks.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    There are many people I currently play with that could be off on the whites instead of the blues for sure. However, I don't know if this would speed up play necessarily. Guys who are shooting mid 90's aren't necessarily getting those strokes because they can't hit the ball far enough. They're more than likely hitting it inaccurately. Which isn't really going to change if you hit from say 15 yards in front of the next tee back..

Just my opinion.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    In most cases, depending on the course yardage, moving up tees may actually slow play. At some courses I'll play one of the back set of tees because if I am wayward off the tee that day the extra yardage will keep my ball out of trouble, whereas if I was playing one of the middle to forward tees, offline shots may end up in the trees/bushes or water. I'll gladly trade a longer approach shot over a penalty stroke.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i played red tees once and I had to wait for the group ahead to clear the green on a few par 4's. The group behind starts to wonder what the heck I'm doing. It's just awkward.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Tee time splits are the biggest factor in my opinion to pace of play. It makes good business sense to get out as many groups as possible in one day, but it sure makes for a slow round. It's a fact that the split times have gone way down in comparison to ten years ago even.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    People should play the tees that they enjoy the most.

Score really doesn't have much to do with the tees that should be played. I see plenty of people playing tees that are too long for them because they can't reach any par 4's in two. However, if they can keep pace, who cares?

Slow play has more to do with other things (long pre-shot routines, not hitting when ready, etc) than the tee you play from.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    I always use a formula to decide which tees to play from. Simply multiply the distance you hit your 5 iron by 36. This will give you a total yardage and then pick the tees that most closely match your yardage. For example, you hit your 5 iron 175 yards x 36 = 6300 yards so you play the course from the +/- 6300 tees.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    People should play the tees that they enjoy the most.

Score really doesn't have much to do with the tees that should be played. I see plenty of people playing tees that are too long for them because they can't reach any par 4's in two. However, if they can keep pace, who cares?

Slow play has more to do with other things (long pre-shot routines, not hitting when ready, etc) than the tee you play from.
    I disagree, John. People should play the tees that make the most sense for their games.

Slow play is many factors. That's why the USGA has also introduced the "While We're Young" campaign.

Slow play is incremental. A little extra time here and there adds up over the course of a round. Every little bit helps.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    I always use a formula to decide which tees to play from. Simply multiply the distance you hit your 5 iron by 36. This will give you a total yardage and then pick the tees that most closely match your yardage. For example, you hit your 5 iron 175 yards x 36 = 6300 yards so you play the course from the +/- 6300 tees.
    I like this. To me,it makes sense. Not saying its gonna make for faster rounds but it can help a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I disagree, John. People should play the tees that make the most sense for their games.

Slow play is many factors. That's why the USGA has also introduced the "While We're Young" campaign.

Slow play is incremental. A little extra time here and there adds up over the course of a round. Every little bit helps.
    How many times in a round do you hit the ball off the tee? 18? More if you are OB. The slowest part of people's games that really make a difference is their short game. I witnessed this in Intersectional Qualifying. The higher handicappers were chipping back and forth over greens and putting three times. Most of your strokes in a round are within 100 yards I would guess.....

Let's use Eagle Creek as an example because I know it well....

Over 18 holes, the average yardage difference for each hole is 30 yards between the Blues and Whites. I took the total difference and divided by 18 of course. If for example, I teed up 30 yards ahead of another player off the tee, is that REALLY going to make a difference? If I am not that great at golf, it's not going to make a difference whether I have an 9-iron into the pin or a 7-iron into the pin. I'm probably going to either mis-hit either of them, or not be on the green anyway. Then I'll have to chip three times from wherever my ball ended up...maybe it's a bunker...which will take me multiple tries to get out of.

As you must see...the slow part of the game is not off the tee...

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I really don't think "slow play" has anything to do with any of this, it's a bi-product of people who aren't aware of how to play golf quickly plain and simple. People don't play ready golf on the tee, fairway and greens, people leave their bags on the wrong sides of greens, people stand over the ball forever, people think it's uncouth to walk ahead of a ball to get ready for your shot, people just plain walk slowly. These are some of the things that make the average player slow, it's just an education piece ultimately, they either don't get it or rreally just don't care.

I was playing as a single and got paired with two guys a few weeks back at Equinelle. On each and every hole they would walk together to each players ball, hit with one watching then move on to the next while i waited 80 yards up on the fairway. I finally broke and asked them if that's how they always play golf, they had no idea they were moving like snails.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I really don't think "slow play" has anything to do with any of this, it's a bi-product of people who aren't aware of how to play golf quickly plain and simple. People don't play ready golf on the tee, fairway and greens, people leave their bags on the wrong sides of greens, people stand over the ball forever, people think it's uncouth to walk ahead of a ball to get ready for your shot, people just plain walk slowly. These are some of the things that make the average player slow, it's just an education piece ultimately, they either don't get it or rreally just don't care.
    i concur. some of the worst golfers i know can play from any tee they want and still play quickly.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

One other factor is people playing courses too difficult for their skill set. There are some very unforgiving courses out there. I know for sure an average golfer could play a course like Greyhawk quicker than say Marshes....

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    One other factor is people playing courses too difficult for their skill set. There are some very unforgiving courses out there. I know for sure an average golfer could play a course like Greyhawk quicker than say Marshes....
    That might be true but I doubt any course on this planet is going to agree with you. If someone ponies up the quid to play Marshes then they sure as hell have the right to be out there regardless of their skill level.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It's one small part of a much bigger problem.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    That might be true but I doubt any course on this planet is going to agree with you. If someone ponies up the quid to play Marshes then they sure as hell have the right to be out there regardless of their skill level.
    Agreed! Whether they have the right to play it and whether the course is a layout that fits their playing ability is another matter. Just look at Bethpage Black...There's signage warning players that only skilled golfers should be playing the course. The same goes for St. Andrews over here in Scotland.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Totally against it. I don't htink the number of guys playing the blues that can only drive 225 is that significant. I certainly don't want to wait until I can break 70 to get to play a course where I have more than 80 yards in after a good drive.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    I'd second the 36* 5 iron distance guideline. I have had the misfortune of having to play back tees at 6850 yards in the past, and did not enjoy hitting driver, 3 iron, wedge to most of the par 4's.

6100-6400 is about all that I am good for, but I do generally play whites with my 23 index.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    I have to say anyone that walks up 80 yards while someone is about to hit should be removed from the golf course. Sorry but this is the only thing a playing partner can really do that will set me off. If you are in that much of a rush to play your ball rather than the game of golf you have no idea what pace of play hinges on. People tell me I play way too fast and ive never ever done that to a playing partner.

Now the short game comment is bang on for me. People need to do the simple math and realize more than 50% of their shots are sub 100 yards. Stop going to ranges and whacking driver after driver to see how far it can go. You can practice a lot of your short game in your backyard. A good friend of mine dramatically improved his score and enjoyment by putting in his basement all off season. He now shoots low low 90's to high 90's. He was shooting 115ish. He vows to do the same with chips this off season.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    I have to say anyone that walks up 80 yards while someone is about to hit should be removed from the golf course. Sorry but this is the only thing a playing partner can really do that will set me off. If you are in that much of a rush to play your ball rather than the game of golf you have no idea what pace of play hinges on. People tell me I play way too fast and ive never ever done that to a playing partner.
    i have no problem with someone being up at there ball. for example if i'm waiting to go for a par 5 in 2 and my playing partners have laid up already why have them waiting for me to hit? its normal to be ahead of your playing partners at any given time. hit your tee shots, scatter, hit your next shots, scatter. play ready golf.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnol View Post
    i have no problem with someone being up at there ball. for example if i'm waiting to go for a par 5 in 2 and my playing partners have laid up already why have them waiting for me to hit? its normal to be ahead of your playing partners at any given time. hit your tee shots, scatter, hit your next shots, scatter. play ready golf.
    Within reason every player should be at or as close to their ball as possible without causing distraction to the player who has the floor. Walking up a fairway as someone is ready to strike their ball is poor golf etiquette plain and simple. I could agree with you if the player is looking for a ball in long grass or trees (but I also think all players should help him look) or is one of those measure with a range finder, walk it off and then check a gps or as you mention someone waiting for a green to clear. Perhaps I just really lucky with my golf buddies. We play 100% by the rules of the game at all times and play extremely fast at the same time. All the while playing from the tips 9/10 times. Lowest cap in our usual foursome is a 6. Highest is a 15.

The other thing that seems to cause slow play and I have a hard time understanding is people who cart. They seem to always be the slowest golfers and do not have to walk to any of their shots...

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    I agree jimmyc..carts, IMO, do not speed up play, especially cart path only or even 90 degree rule. How many times have we seen people pulling a club or two, walking to their ball, then walking back because they don't have the club they need.

I understand there are golfers that could not play the game without carts due to health reasons, and that's fine. What kills me is seeing young guys taking carts because either they are too lazy to walk or because they need a place to hold their beer.

Carts a a fantastic source of revenue for the courses and nowadays courses need all the sources of revenue they can get, but how about some courses conducting an experiment. Cart-free Tuesdays, or walking only Saturdays, and timing each group as they tee off, then compare these times to golfers taking carts. I would bet that a foursome walking could easily beat a foursome in carts. (Assuming the golfers are of similar ability)

Slow play can be remedied by each individual course...12 minute tee times, marshals that actually marshal, instead of just driving around looking for balls, beverage cart staff that know when and where to stop, and of course, maybe posting signs around the locker rooms or washrooms reminding players about how to eradicate slow play.

Just my 2 cents

I get really tired of all the "walking up ahead to your ball is poor etiquette" comments... How is this such a big deal? Who cares!!!
    If you are waiting at your ball and I wander along nowhere in your way, then you should not be bothered at all.

You could do jumping jacks beside me for all I care. I am going to hit my ball and that's all I am thinking about.

Golf still has such a snotty attitude. Tucked in collared shirts, shorts a certain length, blah blah blah...

How about we just go out and have fun golfing and just worry about our own game. If everyone plays a bit faster from the proper tees we will be all set.

If i'm thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty yards ahead in the left side of the rough or fairway and not in anyones way or line i can't see how that would be an issue for you at all? Removed from the golf course? Get a life.

It also has 0 to do with "etiquette". I think there are a few guys on this board that would vouch for my etiquette.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    People who think that players walking ahead to their ball to get ready to play are probably the same people that are responsible for a lot of slow play. Get out and watch elite amateurs and pros. You'll see that they get in position as often, and as quickly as possible. Obviously they're not going to stand directly in another player's line, but they'll stand to the side and be as ready as possible to play when it's their turn.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It also has 0 to do with "etiquette". I think there are a few guys on this board that would vouch for my etiquette.
    you also have excellent table manners.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    If you walk ahead (which I do a lot) you should stay well out of the other player's projected line, and you should be obviously looking at him so he knows that if he's offline, you will have time to duck. A lot of times, it's good to have somebody in front of the shooter, because they get a better perspective on where his shot ended up (you who always hit the fairway, have pity on us who do not!).

Thread Information