100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Must I mark it?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Must I mark it?

Stroke play event. I chip my ball vey near the hole. F.c. is off the green and I felt that I may be blocking his line, so I say "would you like me to mark it?"

He gets upset, and says since I've asked him I have to mark it.

Is this accurate? Why can't I leave my ball there?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Stroke play event. I chip my ball vey near the hole. F.c. is off the green and I felt that I may be blocking his line, so I say "would you like me to mark it?"
    He gets upset, and says since I've asked him I have to mark it.
    Is this accurate? Why can't I leave my ball there?
    Why would you want to leave your ball in a position that might assist your fellow competitor? By leaving the ball there it would likely be considered that you are not marking it to help him, the penalty for which is disqualification of both of you. You may play first rather than mark it. Plus, any other competitor may request to have your ball lifted.

Lastly, if you or another fellow competitor indicate that you are going to mark the ball, and he plays before that is done, he is disqualified whether or not the balls collide.

I thought my opponent had the option to use my ball as a backstop if he wanted. I didnt know that was against the rules. Same way some people want the flag in or out, or if my opponent wants my ball marker to stay where it is because it helps him on his putt.

So I was just asking my opponent what he wanted me to do. I thought that was proper golf etiquette.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I thought my opponent had the option to use my ball as a backstop if he wanted. I didnt know that was against the rules. Same way some people want the flag in or out, or if my opponent wants my ball marker to stay where it is because it helps him on his putt.

So I was just asking my opponent what he wanted me to do. I thought that was proper golf etiquette.
    In your first post you refer to your fellow competitor (stroke play) whereas in your second, he has now become your opponent.(match play) The difference being that ANY fellow competitor may insist on your ball being marked, but with an opponent, it's just between you and him.

Most importantly, it is your ball and you have the right to mark it, regardless of what he may want. While he may ask you to leave the ball alone, you should not do it for the reason expressed above. He gets no penalty for asking, and no penalty if he happens to hit your ball on his chip shot if, for whatever reason, you decide to leave it in place. Further, if both balls are on the putting green and he putts and strikes your ball, there is no penalty to him, as it is match play. In stroke play, he would be penalized two strokes and your ball must be replaced.

It was intersectional qualifying, stroke play and he was a fellow competitor, not a match.

I just dont understand why I must mark my ball after suggesting to my f.c. that I could mark it if I was in his way. I dont understand why if I said nothing it would have been okay for him to go ahead and chip with my ball lying there.

there should either be a rule that I must mark my ball if it has any chance of being used as a backstop or not. It's obvious to me now that my f.c. wanted my ball there for this sole purpose. But at the time this happened I was off to the side of the green and had no idea if I was in his way or not.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    How did the qualifying go?

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

there should either be a rule that I must mark my ball if it has any chance of being used as a backstop or not. It's obvious to me now that my f.c. wanted my ball there for this sole purpose. But at the time this happened I was off to the side of the green and had no idea if I was in his way or not.
    Have a look at this link to Rules 22-1 & 22-2

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-22/

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    How did the qualifying go?
    I needed to break the course record in the rain today to make it, came up short :p

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Have a look at this link to Rules 22-1 & 22-2

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-22/
    Thanks. I've been reading the rules and decisions but it says "may" not must.

Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may:

a. Lift the ball if it is his ball; or

b. Have any other ball lifted.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

In my original post, the roles are reversed. My ball is next to the flag and I am asking a FC who is chipping whether he wants me to mark or not mark. After I say this, FC says I must now mark. Is that true? So if I had said nothing he could chip on with no penalty?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    In my original post, the roles are reversed. My ball is next to the flag and I am asking a FC who is chipping whether he wants me to mark or not mark. After I say this, FC says I must now mark. Is that true? So if I had said nothing he could chip on with no penalty?
    I think the second decision (22/7) is exactly the same as your situation, and the reason that your FC was upset was because he cannot now object to you marking your ball. He would have preferred that everyone play dumb and "conveniently" ignore the fact that having your ball next to the hole was an advantage for him.

If I was in that position I would have marked my ball without even asking. He can sink his own damn putts.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I think the second decision (22/7) is exactly the same as your situation, and the reason that your FC was upset was because he cannot now object to you marking your ball. He would have preferred that everyone play dumb and "conveniently" ignore the fact that having your ball next to the hole was an advantage for him.

If I was in that position I would have marked my ball without even asking. He can sink his own damn putts.
    I think you're 100% right on all counts. However, I didn't say I was going to mark my ball, I said "would you like me to?" He should have said do whatever you want. And I would have just left my ball there because I was on the other side of the green and was in no hurry to mark my 1 footer.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Also, for context, see Decision 3-4/1.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Also, for context, see Decision 3-4/1.
    That's a good one. I think I understand now. I am responsible for marking my ball or not. If I hit my ball 1 foot next to the hole, I should mark it unless, for example, I'm far away from the green and marking my ball would really slow down play. If I am far away from the hole and my f.c. was chipping close to the hole and my ball was in a position to backstop his, he should mark my ball for me, otherwise he is cheating, penalty for which is dq.

My f.c.'s claim that I 'MUST' mark my ball because I asked him if he wanted me to mark my ball was wrong. And I was wrong for asking him if I should mark it. Finally, if he had played his chip without giving me the opportunity to mark it, he would be dq'd. My ignorance of this situation probably saved his butt from a dq.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    That's a good one. I think I understand now. I am responsible for marking my ball or not. If I hit my ball 1 foot next to the hole, I should mark it unless, for example, I'm far away from the green and marking my ball would really slow down play. If I am far away from the hole and my f.c. was chipping close to the hole and my ball was in a position to backstop his, he should mark my ball for me, otherwise he is cheating, penalty for which is dq.

My f.c.'s claim that I 'MUST' mark my ball because I asked him if he wanted me to mark my ball was wrong. And I was wrong for asking him if I should mark it. Finally, if he had played his chip without giving me the opportunity to mark it, he would be dq'd. My ignorance of this situation probably saved his butt from a dq.
    You weren't wrong by asking him if you should mark your ball, you were being courteous. There's nothing wrong with that, because he could have just said, "no, it's no bother." Neither of you are violating any rules by doing that, as long as there's no "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" involved...

On the other hand, not only could you mark your ball if you wanted to, you could even go up, pull the flagstick, and tap your ball in to help speed up play. You just need to be mindful that you don't accidentally affect your FC's line while doing it.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    On the other hand, not only could you mark your ball if you wanted to, you could even go up, pull the flagstick, and tap your ball in to help speed up play. You just need to be mindful that you don't accidentally affect your FC's line while doing it.
    Thanks. That's what I did. I used my wedge to clean up.. and missed the tap in

Thread Information