CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Intersectional Qualifying

How did everyone do this weekend for those of you who were qualifying? I'm not sure how many courses are doing it on the same weekend? We had our first two of three rounds.

I played pretty decent on Saturday with a 77 and 31 Stableford Points with three 3-putts. Should have been around 74 I figure if I didn't three jack those.

Sunday was a different story. I knew it was going to be a bad day when I forgot my pants when I left home and then noticed I didn't have my locker key either when I got to the course. I also wore spikeless shoes for the front nine, which was a mistake. So I had to get a pair of shoes after nine so my front foot wasn't slipping so much on each shot.....Only scored 24 points on Sunday.

How did everyone else do?

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    Arnprior had round 1. I sucked. blew it early. But man what a field. Had 38 guys try out. 11 guys with 31 points or better. and 4 of the regulars had bad rounds which will make for a shoot out in the next 2 rounds. Major swing changes this year and right now its not holding up under pressure yet but changes should help in the long term. hopefully.

We had a strong field as well at Eagle Creek. 36 guys tried out and probably half scored over 30 for sure. I can't remember the exact number though. We had a few over 40 as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    We had a strong field as well at Eagle Creek. 36 guys tried out and probably half scored over 30 for sure. I can't remember the exact number though. We had a few over 40 as well....
    You had a few guys at -4 or better??? wow. True stableford is 1 for bogey, 2 for par, 3 for birdie and 4 for eagle (5 for albatross) 40 points is crazy low.

Quote Originally Posted by solstrum View Post
    You had a few guys at -4 or better??? wow. True stableford is 1 for bogey, 2 for par, 3 for birdie and 4 for eagle (5 for albatross) 40 points is crazy low.
    Yup! We have a guy going to school next year on a golf scholarship, and a few members who are scratch or better and played very well.

That's awesome.

For them! There are definitely some very good golfers at Eagle Creek. I think they've won their division the last four years in a row as far as I was told. I've been out West so I don't know the exact numbers.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    No offense to your members, but at the level your club is at in the Intersectionals, I should hope they win every year...;-)

The depth of the EC team has definitely improved over the last 2-3 years with the increased incentives to move clubs within CL. I know we lost at least 4-5 solid A class over the last 2 years alone to EC.

Yeah for sure. I don't understand why they waited until Clublink bought them to join the system. I saw some teams that are public courses, so my first thought that it turning private was the answer, seems to not make sense. Any idea?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Yeah for sure. I don't understand why they waited until Clublink bought them to join the system. I saw some teams that are public courses, so my first thought that it turning private was the answer, seems to not make sense. Any idea?
    What "public courses" (no members) take part in the Intersectionals?

I just went through the list and I didn't see any Public courses on the list. All courses are Semi Private or Private meaning they all have members.

Looking forward to the event this year, if I don't make the team (not looking good) I will definitely be at the HUNT Club with the team one way or another. A Class should be a battle for sure!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I am not making the team.

{reverse jinx}
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I thought I saw Pineview on the list near the bottom categories?

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Maybe because they have "season passes", that qualifies as a member? As I recall, the Creek, pre-clublink, did not, no?
    Gimmie: agreement to concede short putts between 2 golfers, neither of which can putt very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreen View Post
    Maybe because they have "season passes", that qualifies as a member? As I recall, the Creek, pre-clublink, did not, no?
    I have no idea...But what I do know is that Pineview and a bunch of other courses on the list in the lower brackets are NOT Semi-Private unless offering season passes is considered semi-private now. I've always called all courses that don't require any type of initiation and do not block off tee times, public courses.

I'm not sure what the qualifications are for a "membership", but you're probably right in saying the season pass would qualify as a membership that they could make a team out of. I didn't know Eagle Creek did not sell season passes prior to ClubLink owning them.

I have no idea...But what I do know is that Pineview and a bunch of other courses on the list in the lower brackets are NOT Semi-Private unless offering season passes is considered semi-private now. I've always called all courses that don't require any type of initiation and do not block off tee times, public courses.

I'm not sure what the qualifications are for a "membership", but you're probably right in saying the season pass would qualify as a membership that they could make a team out of. I didn't know Eagle Creek did not sell season passes prior to ClubLink owning them.
    Private = members only. Semi-Private = members + green fee players. Public = green fee players. Initiation fee is not a factor to be considered.

If clubs with "season passes" play in the Intersectionals, do they also pay the required provincial golf association fee?

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Private = members only. Semi-Private = members + green fee players. Public = green fee players. Initiation fee is not a factor to be considered.

If clubs with "season passes" play in the Intersectionals, do they also pay the required provincial golf association fee?
    I don't know the answer to that. I've never purchased a season pass anywhere.

I've always considered a course that I can make a tee time any time of the day to be "public" whether or not they sell a season pass or a "membership". I considered courses to be "semi-private" when tee times were available out of peak times only unless playing with a member I guess or to be somewhat restricted. And the obvious one, private to be a course where no green fee players are permitted unless playing with a member.

Either way...No debate necessary on which term is considered right or not. The main point is that I wasn't aware that Eagle Creek has never offered a "season pass" or "membership" in it's entire existence, and subsequently surprised that they only became part of Intersectionals when ClubLink purchased the course.

I think looking at the list, with 66 courses participating, there must be very few left out that do NOT offer a season pass or membership in the Ottawa Valley if that is the only stipulation to being part of Intersectionals.

I'm assuming that the bottom categories are the newest additions to the Intersectionals? Does this mean they previously did not have season pass holders or memberships? Just curious because courses like Casselview and Bearbrook who are in the lower brackets have been around for a long time as well. eQuinelle and Stonebridge make sense because they are newer courses.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar

I think and someone correct me if Im wrong but dont you have to start at zero if the club changes ownership, I seem to recall someone saying Hautes Plaines was getting near the bottom before Clublink purchased it and they had to go back all the way to the top. I may be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    I think and someone correct me if Im wrong but dont you have to start at zero if the club changes ownership, I seem to recall someone saying Hautes Plaines was getting near the bottom before Clublink purchased it and they had to go back all the way to the top. I may be wrong though.
    It's possible. Because I'm pretty sure Dome offered passes before as well. Again, I'm assuming that is the main stipulation to being able to participate.

The one thing we were talking about in the lounge this weekend is that it would be interesting to see the divisions made up by slope rating. So that you played against courses with similar difficulties. Just an idea, but it might make for a pretty competitive tournament rather than, as someone mentioned above, courses like Eagle Creek, or any other higher slope rating course, competing against Copperdale and Poplar Grove. Not to say that there aren't very good golfers playing all sorts of courses, but obviously it's a little more difficult to score low on longer/more difficult courses.

I think looking at the list, with 66 courses participating, there must be very few left out that do NOT offer a season pass or membership in the Ottawa Valley if that is the only stipulation to being part of Intersectionals.
    I don't know the definitive answer to this but will find out. But since the Intersectionals are an OVGA tournament and since OVGA courses are part of the GAO or Golf Quebec, that participants would be required to pay the annual fee to the respective organization.
    The one thing we were talking about in the lounge this weekend is that it would be interesting to see the divisions made up by slope rating. So that you played against courses with similar difficulties. Just an idea, but it might make for a pretty competitive tournament rather than, as someone mentioned above, courses like Eagle Creek, or any other higher slope rating course, competing against Copperdale and Poplar Grove. Not to say that there aren't very good golfers playing all sorts of courses, but obviously it's a little more difficult to score low on longer/more difficult courses.
    While course rating (not slope) is the measure of course difficulty for better golfers, it is a poor assumption that the longer the course the better would be the players from that course. Arnprior is a short course if you look solely at the yardage**, (a very misleading number) and yet they will have a very strong Intersectional team in "A" Division.

The Intersectional format is ideal. A club moves up the ladder the olde fashion way - they earn it. There have been a few clubs, when they first opened, who felt they should have been seeded above some others. But the bottom is the fairest starting point.

** AGC is a par 70 course with 93 and 151 yard par 3's. Replace them with 400 yard par 4's and the course's effective playing length is 6660 yards with a typical par of 72.

The biggest problem with Intersectionals is pace of play. Solution? Sections of three clubs, not four. Win you go up, lose you go down, and second, you host. 4.5 hours.

While course rating (not slope) is the measure of course difficulty for better golfers, it is a poor assumption that the longer the course the better would be the players from that course. Arnprior is a short course if you look solely at the yardage**, (a very misleading number) and yet they will have a very strong Intersectional team in "A" Division.

** AGC is a par 70 course with 93 and 151 yard par 3's. Replace them with 400 yard par 4's and the course's effective playing length is 6660 yards with a typical par of 72.
    Exactly. That Arnprior Team that traveled to the Highlands in Ottawa and won on their course, traveled to Prescott won on that course and then traveled to Mississippi and won on that course. 3 years in a row winning on the road. Proving that good players have games that travel.

And BC Mist is correct, on top of that the AGC has 6 par 3's so the par 4's and 5's are actually longer than most other courses, several par 4's are out near the 460+ range from the tips. Not to forget that the greens are considerably smaller than new courses.

The length of course means nothing. A player is a player wherever they play. Fairways and greens.

Look at a course like Renfrew, almost every hole is forgiving on one side and allows for some misses yet has the distance to play long.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming that the bottom categories are the newest additions to the Intersectionals? Does this mean they previously did not have season pass holders or memberships? Just curious because courses like Casselview and Bearbrook who are in the lower brackets have been around for a long time as well. eQuinelle and Stonebridge make sense because they are newer courses.
    BC MIST is correct in that your club has to be a member of the OVGA to participate, and the players on your team must be OVGA members (i.e., the club submitted OVGA/Golf Canada fees on your behalf out of your membership fees). That is the key requirement.

http://www.ovga.org/index1.asp?id=173

Obviously if the club does not have members or season pass holders, then there are no OVGA members from which to field a team even if the club is an OVGA member. So the most likely reasons for clubs starting out at the bottom are:

1) they are new clubs or clubs offering memberships for the first time (eQuinelle, Pineview), or
    2) they decided not to renew their OVGA membership in the past (for whatever reason), and have recently rejoined (I believe Manderley falls into this category).

exactly.

There are many shorter courses that are very difficult as you mention. I did mention slope when I probably should have said rating. I guess length was More focused on in reply.

There are plenty of shorter technical courses, and plenty of longer courses that require very little shot making or strategy. So you're right, length doesn't always mean a lot. However, someone who is a 5 index at Copperdale, or even Greyhawk for that matter, would necessarily play to that index at Stonebridge or equinelle, or Smuggler's Glen, or Eagle Creek.

I'm sure we can agree on that. That being said, in my opinion, anything close to scratch could probably play close to that anywhere they went because they are obviously VERY good golfers.

Bouche

I am a season pass holder and I do need to pay the $30 for my membership card. We play at eQ this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    I am a season pass holder and I do need to pay the $30 for my membership card. We play at eQ this year!
    Lucky guy. A most enjoyable course to play.

So nobody else besides myself and solstrum had qualifying this past weekend?

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    The Dome was semi-private before CL and there was one year after CL bought them where they were not OVGA and therefore lost their position - up around E or D if I recall. It's a long slog uphill from the bottom.....
    Last edited by GarthM; 06-05-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: cos i don't always make sense....

round 2 this Sunday and then round 3 in two weeks after that. Team is going to be strong and heading to the HUNT.

Putter Dustinp43 is on a distinguished road
    Brockville had our 2-round qualifying a few weeks ago. About 25 people tried out. A few notables at our club couldnt make it. We are still making our way up though the ranks so our matches arent very competitve.

Thread Information