100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Beace

Steel vs. graphite shafts

I am roughly a 20-25 handicapper, that has played graphite irons throughout my golfing career. I am 26 years old.
    I am starting to take the game more seriously, and have read that there's no way I should be playing graphite irons at my age.
    Now, I am contemplating buying a steel iron set, even though my graphite irons are in good shape.
    Does it really make that much of a difference in your experiences? I took a lesson last year that completely improved my stance, set-up, and driving distance/accuracy. But, I couldn't hit my irons properly anymore. Is that because I now swing (more) properly and subsequenly, I need steel irons at my age/swing speed?
    What do you guys think? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace
    I am roughly a 20-25 handicapper, that has played graphite irons throughout my golfing career. I am 26 years old.
    I am starting to take the game more seriously, and have read that there's no way I should be playing graphite irons at my age.
    Now, I am contemplating buying a steel iron set, even though my graphite irons are in good shape.
    Does it really make that much of a difference in your experiences? I took a lesson last year that completely improved my stance, set-up, and driving distance/accuracy. But, I couldn't hit my irons properly anymore. Is that because I now swing (more) properly and subsequenly, I need steel irons at my age/swing speed?
    What do you guys think? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks
    IMO, the use of steel versus graphite shafts in your irons is not at all a function of age, but in part, of personal preference, and secondly of how you swing. If you are very strong, and have a quick transition from backswing to downswing, it is easier to find a steel shaft that will work for your swing. Dynamic Gold S300 or X300's or Rifle 6.0's or the like, are OK, as long as they are spined, cut and matched to the next club in the set.

For the fast transition swinger there are graphite shafts that are heavy enough, or stiff enough or have less torque, that are great, but fewer in number than steel. Many lines of graphite shafts are now being manufactured with greater consistency from shaft to shaft, so that matching is easy, and spine influence is minimal. The Mercury line, SK Fiber Tour Trac's, Wishon Interflexx's are all superb shafts and inexpensive, too. With the introduction of nano technology, it may soon be possible to have a graphite iron shaft that plays as "stiff" as steel, but weighs half than that of steel.

I have used graphite in my irons for over 10 years starting with Harrisson Professionals, and not because I am probably older than most forum members, but have also made a couple of sets with steel, thinking at times as many do, that it is advantageous where accuracy is concerned. I quickly go back to the graphite because they feel better, are lighter, more shock absorbing, and perform better, at least for me.

I find it ironic that "everyone" uses graphite in their drivers and most fairway woods, and yet players using graphite shafts in irons are still in the minority.

Thread Information