CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Pissed Mutts is on a distinguished road

Left or Right-Handed Instructor for lefty golfer?

Hello everyone, finally decided to post something. I have been a casual observer for a couple years now.

Have been truly golfing for 1.5 years, started with scores around 120 in May, was hitting around 102 by the end of the year (practice, practice). My swing is decent, not great. Short game improvement will easily drop my under 100.

Visit the driving ranges a lot, and played maybe 20 rounds last year. I practice my chipping (in a school yard, shhhhh, don't tell the bylaw guys) and at the ranges. Before that I was one of those people that took only a driver to the driving range or a putter to the mini-golf course.

I am over my stubbourness, and have decided to find an instructor for a few lessons. I am now addicted to this amazing game and I want to be the best i can be. I have read previous threads about what to look for in an instructor, but the only question I have is whether I should find a left-handed or right-handed instructor. I am left-handed. I'm unsure which would be better. I figure with a righty teacher it would seem like a mirror while facing him. With a lefty teacher, the terminology would come more naturally, talking about left elbow, right foot, etc... It's very frustrating being a lefty and watching or reading instructions and trying to reverse the word "left" to "right" and vice versa. Hopefully any good pro can properly instruct someone from either hand, but if you have 2 equal instructors of both hands, which would be more ideal?

Any thoughts would be great.
    Thanks.
    [b]"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose : it's how drunk you get!" [/b]Homer Simpson

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No difference at all.

Welcome to the forum

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

Quality is more important

As you say, it can be great if you treat it like a mirror. However, I don't think it is too big a deal. More important is finding someone who communicates well with you and helps you understand how to improve.

3 Wood LeftyT is on a distinguished road LeftyT's Avatar

Its up to You

This is my two Cents:

I think it is all upto the golfer. Some people find it easier to watch someone teaching them when they are right handed and you are left handed...its like watching replicating and watching yourself in the mirror when the instructor does a demo. I think you also need to find the right instructor for you. There are some pros out there where thay are fabulous golfers but not so good teachers...you want to find someone who you are comfortable with. You also should find one that has had really good feedback from other golfers who took up lessons with the pro. Now, I would try a couple before you settle on one. Be sure that the Pro is interested in helping you and not interested in your money. You pay the big bucks but they should be interested in helping you and your game rather than helping him/herself to your money. I had a great teacher named Steven Hall. Great teacher. Very patient. Always is willing to help out. I think the last time I talked to him, he was a Natural Golf Instructor. Maybe a Pro at Raceview??? Not too sure. You can check with OAC??? Anyways...try a couple and see how it goes...

One more thing, the more expensive the lessons doesn't necessarily mean the better. Could even be the worst.

Thanks

Putter divotor is on a distinguished road
    hi Pissed Mutts and others in the forum,

like the previous posters suggested, it probably doesn't make much of a difference as i have learned a a lot from both a righty and a lefty over the winter.

students, especially newer golfers (like me) always like to see how the instructors demonstrate the swing mechanics. and i personally think an instructor who has similar build will probably help you to visualize a little more.

Thread Information