CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ping G25s

Putter DarthFader is on a distinguished road

Ping G25s

What do you all know about PING's G25 irons, are they as hyped up to be?

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    I'm also curious if anyone is gaming G25s. The soles look much thinner than the G15s.
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    I purchased a set of G25's a month ago and I am still getting used to them. They are 33% thinner on the sole than the G20's and have a reasonable sense of feel and some workability. The ball jumps off the club face and it is forgiving for mis off the heel and toe.

I have been switching between the G25's and Titleist AP2's while I am working on my game.

They are a quality club, a performance improvement club that is well made. I need to get more rounds in with them on golf courses that aren't spongy before I will put them in my bag on a full time basis.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Thanks for the info, retread. When you say you are still getting used to them, what are you adjusting to? The thinner soles (did you play G20s before?), the offset or the shafts?

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    There are 2 things that I am getting used to.
    1. The offset on the longer irons has me playing the ball back a deeper in my stance.
    2. The shafts, although I have the Ping stiff shafts in my G25's, they have different characteristics than my Titleist AP 2 shafts which are Project X 5.5 shafts in terms of firmness and kick points. This is particularly noticeable when I have to into the wet rough when the ball has settled down.

The G25's are excellent irons, I am also working on my swing which muddies the water in terms of fairly accessing the G-25's.

In summary: If I swing with proper tempo the ball jumps off the face with the G25's. If I have to be more aggressive with my swing, they feel a little whippy.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    In summary: If I swing with proper tempo the ball jumps off the face with the G25's. If I have to be more aggressive with my swing, they feel a little whippy.
    This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks retread! I too have recently gone from PX 5.5s to Ping stiff shafts (AWTs though, not CFS) in different irons and was curious about how the CFS shafts play.

Putter f0re_g0ne is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chi View Post
    This is exactly the info I was looking for, thanks retread! I too have recently gone from PX 5.5s to Ping stiff shafts (AWTs though, not CFS) in different irons and was curious about how the CFS shafts play.
    I had the G25 w/ CFS I have to agree they are pretty whippy when when you get aggressive. If I were to do it again I'd get probably get them hard stepped x 1

3 Wood kilntyme is on a distinguished road kilntyme's Avatar
    I just purchased a set of these as well. I have always played a stiff steel shaft. As IAm now 50 and a small back issue my swing has changed alot mostly from a speed standpoint. When I had my fitting the results of a regular flex graphite were the best. I have 5 games under my belt with the G20s and I have to say Im very impressed. Im a mid 80s player and have always been able to play good iron shots from the fairway. The first round I played was horrid...the offset threw me for a loop as well as the differnt shaft flex. However I have since played 4 rounds and Im becoming a lover. Im working on the distances now as I have my ball flight where I want it. I have always liked the look of a thinner top line at address. I find the G20s are fine in that regard. My thoughts on purchasing from the ping line were simple...the fitting. I have always been of the mindset...fix your swing ....but now Im ok with a bit of a "game improvement" iron. The mis hits on these irons are not huge. I get feed back from the club and Im not looking for my ball in the wilderness.
    In short...Im sold on the G20s!
    Mark K

Thread Information