CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Sens and the Future

In general the future does look good for the Sens. Yes they got smoked by the Pens but looking at the glass half full you can say every playoff game is good experience for the youngsters and the 3 year plan looks to be on track. The Pens are simply a loaded for bear team and are rolling. The Sens just don't have the horses to compete this year.

However, looking at the depth of the Pens causes me to raise the following question: Does the relatively quick turn around of the Sens franchise back to respectability actually hamper their long term strength? Basically they have not seen a top 5 pick in a long time and hence just don't get a shot at a potential franchise player. Yes, Karlsson is a franchise player for sure, but they need another like a Tavares.

How did the Pens get so good? Well, give Ray Shero credit for continually putting a good team together. However, you have to remember the Pens S-U-C-K-E-D for years to get multiple high draft picks that is responsible for the core of the team (the lottery was brought in because of Pittsburgh). Unless the Sens find another diamond in the rough like Karlsson, I worry that the Sens will get stuck as a good but not great team.

Oh, BTW, f-u Matt Cooke
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    It was a successful season. Clap clap clap. Never thought we'd have a chance against the dream team. Great to the last Canadian team standing and the future is very bright indeed. I doubt I'll watch another game in the playoffs.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Senators have a wealth of riches ( depth ; minors ; recent solid draft picks ) , a solid core of young players and lots of cap space. You can't ask for much more. It will be interesting to see if Alfredsson comes back for one more season. I believe we have seen the last of Gonchar ( unless he wants a 1 yr deal on the cheaper side ) , Latendresse , Regin and Benoit ( good to see a guy who has toiled in the minors get a chance to play and now maybe get a 2-3 year deal somewhere , just don't think it will be in Ottawa ).
    It will also be interesting to see how the goalie situation will play out ; Anderson was great this year but Lehner is not far behind.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    The future is bright , but not blinding .
    In a couple of years they may be able to have a run at the cup but,
    They'll have to do what Pittsburg have done , and go out a rent some stars for the play-offs if they really want to get it done.
    Pittsburg are showing everyone now their level of hockey is superior to most teams , they're 2nd line is better than most teams 1st.
    Ottawa's core is strong , and it's gonna make the next few years and hopefully more to come , very exciting for hockey in Ottawa and with the resurgence of the Leafs , Habs & eventually the Nordiques ? it's only gonna get even more fun in this region.
    Go Sens , congrats on a good season , now lets play some golf
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Driver Golfer100 is on a distinguished road
    This team is built for a strong season record. The ownership needs for the fans to love their players and the players need to love the community. It is not built for a play-off run, not this one and with the exception of the cup run a few seasons ago it never has been. Too much is at stake for the ownership to concentrate solely on the Cup. They have to have a love affair between team and the their fan base and that is achieved through a strong 82 game season and the play-offs are a byproduct. The ownership's mission is loads of money throughout the season and some possible gravy during the play-off season.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer100 View Post
    This team is built for a strong season record. The ownership needs for the fans to love their players and the players need to love the community. It is not built for a play-off run, not this one and with the exception of the cup run a few seasons ago it never has been. Too much is at stake for the ownership to concentrate solely on the Cup. They have to have a love affair between team and the their fan base and that is achieved through a strong 82 game season and the play-offs are a byproduct. The ownership's mission is loads of money throughout the season and some possible gravy during the play-off season.
    Disagree. You may be referring to Sens teams of the past but these guys are only going to get better each year for the foreseeable future. They are probably 2-3 experienced and talented players away from making a cup run in a couple of years or a few of the younger guys to step up and be consistent 25-30 goal scorers. They played an exceptional team who is odds on favourite to win the cup IMHO this year. A number of guys still weren't right despite coming back from injury. It would be great to see Alfie back for another season but I think he may be done. I think Benoit could be back but don't expect Gonchar, Latendresse, or Regin to be back.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    The Sens have a good future and a good coach. Lots of good young players.

Yes the Pens finish last and got some high picks... but they also got lucky that in those 2 years they got Crosby and Malkin... And stole Letang (unbelievable) in the 23rd round.... I saw that kid in Jr and he was awesome...

Look at Edmonton, some very good picks at 1st overall but no Crosby or Malkin.... better to be lucky than bad...HaHa!
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I would say the strength and depth of the Sens is on the back end. The D + goalies are very strong and yes, Gonchar needs replacing, but they have good depth for sure.
    Up front, they are still lacking scoring depth, and they will continue to score as a group unless changes are made.
    The fact is, Michalek and Spezza are BIG question marks, as is Alfie's future.
    Do they have a 30 goal scorer?
    How many 20 goal socrers do they have?
    The win by hard work, strong D and excellent goaltending, and that will continue until they get a top offensive player added.
    Do they have any prospects who can replace Alfie, Spezza and Michalek after next season? I don't think so...

Thread Information