CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Tokhia is on a distinguished road

P3 hybrid system vs dd

Hi everybody,

New member from Down Under. I'm new to the simulator world and was throwing up between the p3 and the dd. I've done a bit of reading comparing the two, and was leaning towards the DD, but was wondering if there is any thoughts as to the essential hybrid p3 package, and whether its good enough a package to warrant that over the DD. I was under the impression that launch angle had been removed in the new models, but it seems to be offered? Also is the turf option as firm/unforgiving on the wrists as the rubber option.

20 courses seems a fairly decent amount on the new package, are they better/worse in graphics as the DD courses? Plus online gameplay, is it fair to say that the p3 might have the hardware+ now the software that is good enough?Tbh, the course doesn't matter too much to me as long as there is a hole at one end to hit to, especially seeing there's no more Augusta anywhere.

I'm really looking for something to have some fun with, and the DD sounded like better gameplay, but if p3 is as good now then the extra accuracy + launch angle will be worth it
    If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate. If the q has already been answered, just point me to the correct forum and ill stay quiet

Thanks in advance!

3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokhia View Post
    Hi everybody,

New member from Down Under. I'm new to the simulator world and was throwing up between the p3 and the dd. I've done a bit of reading comparing the two, and was leaning towards the DD, but was wondering if there is any thoughts as to the essential hybrid p3 package, and whether its good enough a package to warrant that over the DD. I was under the impression that launch angle had been removed in the new models, but it seems to be offered? Also is the turf option as firm/unforgiving on the wrists as the rubber option.

20 courses seems a fairly decent amount on the new package, are they better/worse in graphics as the DD courses? Plus online gameplay, is it fair to say that the p3 might have the hardware+ now the software that is good enough?Tbh, the course doesn't matter too much to me as long as there is a hole at one end to hit to, especially seeing there's no more Augusta anywhere.

I'm really looking for something to have some fun with, and the DD sounded like better gameplay, but if p3 is as good now then the extra accuracy + launch angle will be worth it
    If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate. If the q has already been answered, just point me to the correct forum and ill stay quiet

Thanks in advance!
    I was in the same boat as you are a year ago and I went the Optishot route and have not regretted it at all. The graphics are great, you can't beat the price, customer support is outstanding, the setup is very easy , its great to play with friends or practice alone and they say online play is in the near future. I strongly recommend that you use a thicker turf with spot lights on the sensors and tweak the club offsets to match your

Ball flight. My friend has the P3proswing, there are both fun but we BOTH like the Optishot better .

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    I have never played on a DD so I can't say anything about it. You find way more of those on Ebay now compared to used P3Pro's so not sure if that means more are now keeping the P3pro or just less buying it in the first place. I have 4 pads now, two older serial pads and two newer usb pads. I use two in my hitting platform so one is for driver and putting and the other is for all fairway shots where my home made turf top has no hole for the ball but rather a spot to hit from without sitting in a hole or off a tee.

I have been testing the P3pro for years now and know what the system can do or can't do. You can tweak a lot of things in the P3pro and now that there is a section in the software that have LA you can adjust to suit your ball flight, as well as, add more side spin if desired to get a bit more accurate ball flight. They offer new software that includes some Prem Courses. Two reg courses and two par 3's however the only one of those 4 that are good to play on is AbuDhabi. The other par 3's and the other Monteray Bay have either wierd green slopes or massive OB's to drive you nuts. You also get the LA camera option (if you have a USB camera) that would give you real launch angle in the original P3pro two courses, but does not work in the Prem Courses where most of us play now. Really if you want to work on your swing you would be better using the old original driving range in the P3pro with the camera to work on one club at a time and see your ball flight with actual LA. When you just want to play and have fun, use the Prem courses.

They did something in the last update (end of Jan 2013) to mess up the greens a bit. You no longer can get backspin on the greens (used to be able to back a PW up off the greens if you wanted to set it up that way) however the ball does land soft and stops and you can tweak the hardness of the greens and fairways as well. So that part is not a major issue but is something that I wish they would set back to what it used to be. Also the ball no longer rolls on putts but instead it looks like it skids along (you see this when you have a close up view, in camera settings, and thus may not react as good as it could to the slope of the greens and the speed of the putts. Its hard to judge speed for longer putts and at times the same swing speed will vary by yards instead of inches like it used to. Having said that you can get used to how they putt and you can still have a reasonable shot at sinking putts from 10 plus feet away. Putting is ok on normal settings and very fast on dry. I don't care for soft on most courses however there are the odd ones that its fine on.

On line play is fun, and more fun than I thought it would be. Tournaments are set up and you are able to play for free yet till they get the bugs worked out.

The one area to watch for is the slow putt mode. This can be set in the internal settings to any distance and what that does is triggers a light to come on for registering a slower swing speed, like a slower putt. It was not long ago, I finally found out there is a difference between the older serial cable pads and the newer usb pads where the old pads are fine with slow putt mode but the usb are very sensitive to reflection. So you need to first have a flat thin putter and not a mallet style and use their black tape for the putter. Without those being perfect you can get major missreads when in slow putt mode and with the new way the ball skids for putts, this makes the miss read of an open or closed face make the putts go off line on short putts and not very easy to sink. By setting the distance of that slow putt mode to 25 or 30 feet you can reduce this issue with the PW chip shots that you may have inside the distance its set at now.

There is also a fringe issue that is I'm sure an interface issue that creates a 50% plus penalty on your chip or causes 200 yard skull shots over the greens. They are looking into this (I think ) but have not corrected it yet. I am hopefull they will but also worries me that they don't seem to know how to create this issue on their own to see it.

There also is an issue with wind not working in the prem courses but again in the internal file you can fix this and make it work in the prem courses. Same way with club face penalty areas, ( you can trigger penalty on or off for miss hits and how much reduced yardage) where they are set too forgiving and won't register a hit that is too far out on the toe or heel but I have tweaked things myself, to make this work better but still needs a bit of work.

The grass on the new pads is a lot better than the original harder grass and I think would be worth it if buying a new setup. I made my own and it works well with my platform I stand on.

Overall I do have to say my game has improved with the use of the P3pro, like it would with just hitting balls all winter and keeping your swing fresh. However it is easier to practice more and play more when you actually play tournaments so you end up playing more and you also can tell when you are hitting it better with a better swing path and face.

I have been a little hard on them on their forum with issues that I have seen and have been wanting to know when they will be fixed and even get a bit frusterated when they don't see these issues, or know how to create them so they see them, and wonder if they even think they should be addressed. I really think they are very close with just a few more tweaks to having a great system.

So are they good enough now to play and have fun...... yes, could it get better yet.......yes, will it......??? I am waiting to find out.
    Last edited by SFR; 05-19-2013 at 05:35 PM.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    I've had a P3pro system for a number of years. I like it a lot more than the Optishot systems my friends have. I have friends that have P3pro sensor also. I would say we are split on which is better. Those that want the systems for entertainment tend to go for the Optishot and those that want it more for swing analysis go for the P3pro. P3pro's addition of the World Dunes sight has moved the opinions more in the direction of P3pro though. To me, game play is reasonable and a lot of fun. Unlike SFR, I like Monteray Bay. It's a challenging course.

I've played on bothsystems and I like both. To me, the ability to configure the P3pro system to more closely match my real ball flight and club distances, as will as the additional swing information makes it an easy call for the P3pro, because this helps me improve my real golf game.

9 Iron roach5539 is on a distinguished road
    I have the P3Pro and have not tried the DD. Based on features, the P3Pro seems to provide more feedback for game improvement over the DD. The integrated video capture is great. Allows for two simultaneous camera angles (face on and down the line) using standard webcams. Although it is only at 30 fps, you still get a great view of your swing integrated with the results of the swing on the simulator. Online play has been good for my game as well. Just like the driving range compared to the course, you can get comfortable hitting shots on the sim and need to find a way to put a little competitive pressure on your swing. I took lessons over the winter and having the ability to work on the prescribed changes each week was great.. testing them under pressure in online tournaments was HUGE!!

Thread Information