CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Andegoulding

What does the future hold?

Given that there are some very informed people on these forums, I just wondered what the general consensus was regarding the future? At the moment golf simulators are incredibly expensive, but, there seems to be an absolute explosion of low cost swing monitors coming onto the scene. Swingbyte, Skypro etc. Do you think it's only a matter of time before these sort of devices are capable of spewing out sufficient and accurate data to be able to marry up to some decent sim software? It would be incredible to be able to play PP, or E6II with just a tiny device strapped to the club. Is this unfeasible for any reason, or do you all think that we are stuck with systems that consistently run into thousands of pounds/dollars?

I was in the market for a GC2 last year, but couldn't get one imported, and the UK prices were prohibitive. I had contemplated the Protee, but wanted something a bit more portable/less complicated to set up. Now life has got in the way and I can't justify the outlay of thousands. I'm currently still using my Optishot (which is amazing at what it does for the money), but would dearly love something a bit more "next-gen".

I'm surprised, given the success of the GC2, that a rival unit at a fraction of the price hasn't emerged from the far-east as yet. I really wish it would so that Foresight would be forced to reprice their unit for what it's worth, as opposed to how much they think they can get away with.

How do you lot think things will pan out?
    Last edited by Andegoulding; 05-12-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: I'm useless

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Will the gyro LM's get on the sim bandwagon = Yes

Will they be accurate = ? only time will tell

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    No one knows for sure. Let's keep in mind that launch monitors, club attached swing analyzers, cameras for swing analysis are different than a golf simulator. I hope the technology of club attached units will improve but they may not be so practical to be used in a full golf simulation. More for swing analysis.

I do think new units will happen for simulation. Martin may get things working, who knows! I am sure there are other companies working on sims as we speak. Stay patient!

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I agree, it seems inevitable but the time frame is really unknown. With golf's increasing popularity in Asia, I expect an inexpensive, yet high quality sim, to come from there (my guess is Korea).

Andegoulding
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    .........Let's keep in mind that launch monitors, club attached swing analyzers, cameras for swing analysis are different than a golf simulator.................
    I realise there are differences, but I also realise that the boundaries are becoming blurred. After all, the GC2 is primarily a launch monitor, but there are several on here that are using it for sim duties. And technology moves on at an alarming rate. Unless your name is Martin of course.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    "I'm surprised, given the success of the GC2, that a rival unit at a fraction of the price hasn't emerged from the far-east as yet." It does seem unusual that with the large amount of money people spend on golf, as well as the millions playing it, that only a few hundred or thousand people are considered by market researchers to want to hit balls in their homes. I can't think of another explanation. Maybe we are all crazy and everybody else is totally fine with not hitting balls at night after the sun goes down or in bad weather.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    HRS, I think a lot of it has to do with how simulators have been marketed in the US. With the exception of the Optishot, which really IS marketed to the masses, all the other simulators seem to focus on the upscale market. The general impression seems to be that simulators are just "too expensive" and few people research what's available unless they're highly motivated to do so.

Until this past year, the only simulators I'd seen were a ParT system a local golf shop has, the launch monitors at a larger golf franchise and a system shown at a regional golf expo. ALL of them are touted as "high end" systems and when asked how much they cost, the answers are usually either vague or costly enough to scare off most people from thinking much more about it. Early this year a local "simulator bar" opened up with 5 AboutGolf systems (one the sim-surround) and of course, they ARE expensive.

Had it not been for the fact I work in IT and had a similar thought last year as Andegoulding's posted here, that technology advances fast enough that there had to be SOMETHING I could afford. After finishing a simulator league last Spring, I told my partner there HAD to be something as good as the ParT system we were playing on, at a lower cost (IMHO Optishot probably does that) and I started researching and found this site. Had I not found this forum, I'm sure I wouldn't have the setup I have today.

We probably ARE a bit more intense about golf as a priority than a lot of folks are, too

There is 3 parts to the equation. First many folks don't know about what sim options are available and think they have to spend thousands to get a sim. That is a marketing issue and I really a lack of info. Second there are many that know about sims but only think that the expensive ones are good and the cheaper ones simply suck. Finally many just simply don't have the room to put in a sim.

Andegoulding
    I have this feeling that things are gonna really take off real soon. Given that the new swing monitors have come on to the scene at a relatively low price point you can pretty much be certain of the fact that they cost virtually bugger all to make. And quite a few companies seem to be pursuing that technology. I reckon that the price will come down and down, to the point where your Sony, Nintendo and Microsofts start to take note. And before you know where you are they will be bundling them with Tiger Woods 2015 or whatever. Those big companies, with their huge development budgets, would soon find a way of mass-marketing them and pairing them up with some future version of Kinect, or Eye-toy or whatever. Just my tuppence worth........

I think you are right Ande. Question is how quickly that will happen. With nanotechnology improving so rapidly devices will get smaller and smaller. Things will come up definitely in the next year or 2!!

Can hear the pain already of all those Mother's holding brocken China and silver when the kids start swinging real golf clubs in the living room.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    I think you are right Ande. Question is how quickly that will happen. With nanotechnology improving so rapidly devices will get smaller and smaller. Things will come up definitely in the next year or 2!!
    Bubba, any updates on the rumors of the possible release for a new device to challenge the likes of the GC2?

3 Iron bruthru is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Can hear the pain already of all those Mother's holding brocken China and silver when the kids start swinging real golf clubs in the living room.
    CPA..... I think what you are saying there will always be a limited market potential for golf launch monitor/simulator. I think I broached this point in other threads that most golfers do not ever plan to have something in the home for various reasons. If you could get the information from say Foresight/Optio/Flightscope etc regarding the market potential of selling a product at $250,$500,$1000,$5000.... you would be surprised what limited market there would be at each of those price points. Its not just to the price of the tool but the requirements of setting up a temporary or permanent play environment for these cool gadgets. And those that do have the free space in their home are more likely to afford all the bells and whistles of a full blown simulator. That's a reason to question if we will ever see anything of value from one of the game manufactures. We kid about Martin and hit LX endeavor but what we have learned it takes not only some serious hardware but as important some intense software development to product a quality launch/simulator.

If a company can not make enough money to sell product X at a low point they have to raise it to a point where they can cover cost and provide a positive revenue stream or its not worth it. When someone can provide a realistic number of potential users then you can dream about the next technology of simulators and point to a range of pricing.

What I was actually referring to was my experience with John Daly golf on the PS3 and move controller. It was much better and more realistic at estimating path and clubface than Tiger Woods. Prior to getting GC2 I tested projector and screen by taping the move controller to a club. Put a Swingbyte connected to the PS4 and you have a cheap sim in the TV Room and kids swinging real clubs inside next to Mums China......
    Last edited by CPA; 06-02-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Thread Information