CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Do you think that corporate multi-golf course ownership is good?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

15 28.85%
  • No.

27 51.92%
  • Don't care.

10 19.23%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Big Box" Golf

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

"Big Box" Golf

With all the discussion and speculation lately about certain large golf course mangament companies purchasing, or not purchasing, high-end public access courses in the Ottawa area. What are your thoughts on the subject?

IMHO, I don't like it. I don't have the free time to justify the expense of paying a large initiation fee plus high annual dues, bar tabs, etc. I also think that it serves, to a certain degree, to exclude those of us who appreciate the experience of playing on well maintained courses.

Don't get me wrong, this is not about those people who are members of these clubs. More power to you. Some of my best friends belong to clubs and it suits their needs just fine.

It just seems that all the great courses eventually get sucked up by the "Big Boxes" for the benefit of the few. That's not what golf is supposed to be, IMO.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    My main goal was to be a member at a nice golf course. What I disliked about being a member was that you are always playing on one course. Large corporations like CL offer a private membership to a verity of very beautiful courses and that is a golden opportunity.

Golf (Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden) was played by the rich and the famous in the old days and it still is in some part of the world.

Some have more money then other and that is part of our society. Money dictates what you can and cannot do but one thing is certain, there will always be nice golf courses open to the public.

I have never played Ott hunt, R Ottawa or Rivermeed. I would love to play on them but I cant so I’ll play somewhere else.

I do understand some of you that would be frustrated to have a specific course that you love to play on be taken away from you by a CO.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Like mberube I actually like the concept CL brings to the table (multiple courses for one membership). I just wish I had the time and money to join (will someday). In the meantime, it is a pain when favourite public courses are sucked up. The Dome was a great early morning round before work when I was located downtown. And Stonebridge is my weekend favourite because of the reliable playing times. But, what can you do?

However, I wonder what the landscape will be like in 10-20 years? Where will CL's growth level off, i.e., point where there are no more willing to pony up for the private membership? Over half of my golfing buddies can't stomach paying $75 at Eagle Creek let alone join a club, and most are the ones who can ! (single or no kids) Already growth of golf in the US is slowing (or even stalled). And what if the economy takes a down-turn? I just hope I have the time and money then...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    What I heard last year at the AGM at Greyhawk, the Clublink honchos from Toronto said that they wanted to have two more clubs in the Ottawa area to make 5.

Mr. Poile also mentioned that Clublink was looking to grow in the latest edition of the Clublink magazine. Only time will tell.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    What is the deal with Club link. I understand that its a membership for a bunch of courses, but do you still have to pay green fees with a club link membership. Their site is a little confusing.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Golf
    What is the deal with Club link. I understand that its a membership for a bunch of courses, but do you still have to pay green fees with a club link membership. Their site is a little confusing.
    It depends on the course you join.

Clublink has 4 levels of courses, besides their daily fee courses (Glen Abbey). These are:
    1. Silver (Hautes Plaines in this area)
    2. Gold (Greyhawk)
    3. Platinum (Kanata)
    4. Prestige (None in the Ottawa area, and only 3 in the whole program)
    You are allowed free reciprocal play one level higher and below. For example, as a member of Greyhawk, I can play for free, after my yearly dues, at any silver, gold or platinum course, depending on availability. These courses include, Fountainebleau in the Montreal area and Le Maitre at Tremblant as well as Hautes Plaines and Kanata in this area and 20+ courses in the Toronto area. I also played Lake Chesdin just outside Richmond Virginia as it is also a Clublink course. In addition, if my course is closed for some reason, not open yet or there is a full course event taking place, I can play another level higher, Prestige in my case, with no reciprocal fee.

I hope that explains things a bit more. No green fees based on the above.

BTW, for those interested, Greyhawk's initiation will be increasing to 12,500 at the end of April.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information