CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge padre1161 is on a distinguished road

GSA/ Red Chain Problems

I'm running a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with a 3GB 670M graphics card. I can run most holes in maximum graphics settings. Occasionally I come to a graphically intense hole where the ball flight is very choppy. If I change any settings in graphics options such as decreasing terrain detail from 100% to 99% and replay the hole then ball flight is smooth as silk. If I exit out of the course and replay the hole with the same settings, the ball flight will be choppy again. If I now change any setting (even if going back to maximum detail) then the ball flight is perfectly smooth again. The graphics card can obviously support maximum graphics but it seems that each time a course is started something is keeping the graphics card from performing optimally. Any ideas?

Okay, I know I'm replying to my own thread but I think the problem is with Nvidia optimus switchable graphics. Even though the Nvidia utility says the GSA/Red Chain courses are opening with the dedicated graphics card, I'm pretty sure the onboard must be being used until I change any of the graphics settings- then the dedicated card is used. On some graphically intense holes, I initially get only 7 fps and when I make any changes to the graphics settings ( even if going to maximum) I can get 60 fps. Anyone get an Nvidia laptop or Radeon laptop with switchable graphics to run GSA or any Red Chain courses in max settings. Lots of reports on the internet of the Nvidia Optimus technology not working with many games. Just wondering if the same applies to Radeon switchable graphics.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Is it possible for you to disable the onboard graphics completely? I honestly don't know why anyone would want "switchable" graphics to begin with. I'm not familiar with your hardware at all, but if it's possible to disable the onboard graphics, that's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by wbealsd View Post
    Is it possible for you to disable the onboard graphics completely? I honestly don't know why anyone would want "switchable" graphics to begin with. I'm not familiar with your hardware at all, but if it's possible to disable the onboard graphics, that's what I would do.
    I wish it was possible to turn off onboard graphics but it is not even from the bios. It seems most new gaming laptops are coming with switchable graphics to save battery life. Not sure why the onboard graphics card is not disabled when powered by AC. Very frustrating.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    On my Lenovo you can specify that a particular program is run using card rather than onboard graphics. Settings are somewhere in the deep of settings. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    On my Lenovo you can specify that a particular program is run using card rather than onboard graphics. Settings are somewhere in the deep of settings. Good luck.
    Yes, I have changed the settings within the Nvidia control panel to force the use of the dedicated card and I have a program that confirms that the dedicated card is active. However, there must be some conflict with the onboard graphics because of the behavior I have already described. Do you have an Nvidia or Radeon card in the Lenovo? Can you run Red Chain courses on max graphics?

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    1 nvidea
    2 will check.

Thread Information