100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    CPA - can you post a picture of your current matt set-up?

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road

But as I say just buy this:

http://www.intheholegolf.com/Merchan...ap=TS201-MKVII

and sink it into your turf so turf covers plastic zig zags- even cut off ends to go neatly turf to gel mat (may need to screw down as well)

7 Iron drcabral is on a distinguished road
    I just purchased this from Ebay. Wonder if I can set it up like the Zig Zags or nail it to the floor. Low profile would definitely be the way to go.

The side rails screw off and the truestrike logo part is just all plastic, can be cut off.

Just sink it into your turf and fix by screwing zig zags. Turf then goes over zig zags.

Getting height right is the only issue.

Tell us how you go....photos.

What did it cost?

Cost $155. On Ebay

Steal. Well done. Hope it is new or there is no wear.

3 Iron tarmactrr is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drcabral View Post
    Cost $155. On Ebay
    U got the gel section correct? Reason I say that is there were two actions on eBay. A hitting section and a gel hitting section. The gel one was more money and was the one u wanted

Quote Originally Posted by tarmactrr View Post
    U got the gel section correct? Reason I say that is there were two actions on eBay. A hitting section and a gel hitting section. The gel one was more money and was the one u wanted
    It was listed as: "This is for a new but opened TrueStrike MKVII portable golf mat" So I assume it is the gel pad with portable case. I'll wait to see when it arrives on Monday

7 Wood GolfMonster2 is on a distinguished road
    Could anyone give me some feedback on the true strike compared to other mats. It is not clear from the previous posts whether the guys who push the truestrike are just happy with it post purchase, or have compared it with other surfaces? The one I bought was pretty pricey (approx. $600) but is not forgiving enough with irons. I initially thought it would be good because it would encourage clean contact, however, it is no good for working on swing changes as mis hits are too hard on the wrists. I'm not sure what the make is.

20130917_211437_resized.jpg

Anyone tried DIFFERENT mats and could give some comparative feedback?

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfMonster2 View Post
    Could anyone give me some feedback on the true strike compared to other mats. It is not clear from the previous posts whether the guys who push the truestrike are just happy with it post purchase, or have compared it with other surfaces? The one I bought was pretty pricey (approx. $600) but is not forgiving enough with irons. I initially thought it would be good because it would encourage clean contact, however, it is no good for working on swing changes as mis hits are too hard on the wrists. I'm not sure what the make is.

Attachment 41846

Anyone tried DIFFERENT mats and could give some comparative feedback?

I tried both TrueStrike and RealFeel so my info may help you. Note I am a high handicapper so I was looking for a game improvement mat.

I had TrueStrike first. I really wanted to like it as I waited weeks to get it (was backordered from the UK), but it ended up getting returned after using it for two days. I had a few issues with Trusestrike that caused my return.

You cannot "tee" up a ball on the gel section (big issue). I did not know you couldn't do this before buying. There is no hole cutout to slide a rubber tee under. With a GC2, you only have a limited area where you can strike the ball without moving the GC2. The TrueStrike does have rubber tee hole cutouts on a range mat section, however you cannot use both the gel section and the range mat together without having to shift the GC2 forward or back (annoying). The GC2 hitting area is just too small to accomodate both the gel section and the range section on the truestrike.

If you want to keep the GC2 aimed at the gel section, the only way you can tee up a ball is to use a rubber tee and place it on top of the gel section. I tried this, didn't like the idea of the rubber tee flying forward into my screen.

I don't like how the edges of the truestrike gel section are concave. If you place a golf ball near the edge, it rolls off. This reduces the hitting area of the gel section. I also think over time as you put wear on the gel section, you may see the opposite happen and the balls will start rolling towards the center from depth wear (this is no guarantee though). I noticed that on my gel section, the green turf wasn't adhered directly on the gel. There was a bit of a gap which I thought was strange. Not sure if this was by design or a defect.

While hitting on the gel section they advertise fairway forgiveness, but I don't really feel it if I hit a fat shot. Most of my misses on the golf course are fat shots and I am not sure it's as effective as they claim. It probably is, but I was more annoyed at the time with moving the GC2 around to probably notice this.

The truestrike comes in sections and assembling them isn't that big of a deal, but if you have to move the assembled mat around its a bit of a PITA. I have my hitting bay in my garage so i needed to be able to move it. You definitely can't lift the assembled truestrike like a mat because it will break apart. And sliding it around is a hassle since its also heavy. If you have a permanent room setup, this may not be an issue.

I ended up getting a Real Feel mat instead and i am much happier, for a few reasons.

I got a 5x5 piece. I can hit anywhere on the surface and get the same feel. Since it's a square, i can also rotate it around to even the wear. But so far after two months I don't even see any wear on the spots where I normally hit. I rotated it once anyways for the hell of it, but I don't see this thing wearing anytime soon.

They have rubber tee cutouts on all four sides, and unlike the TrueStrike I can position my GC2 in a spot where it can see the rubber tee AND see a large enough section where i can hit an iron without moving my GC2. This to me sold the mat, i really did not want to have to move around the GC2 between driver and iron.

Hitting off the mat I like the feel. If I hit a fat shot it literally grabs the club. So good for me being a high handicapper. When I went to a range the other day and hitting off their crappy mat, you can really feel the difference with the real feel.

I also like that since its a one piece mat, I can lift it to it's side and lean it against a wall. I can grab it and pull it around easily. Again if you have a permanent setup, not a big deal, but for me i need to be able to move it (or worse my wife needs to be able to move it).

You can also stick a golf tee anywhere on the mat and it will hold the tee for you. This is a great feature, but I don't need to use this feature right now. Maybe if you want to be able to hit shots closer to the center of the mat you can tee there and move the GC2 so its looking more towards the center (again allowing you to really even the wear across the entire surface). But I like the ability to use a regular tee on the mat just in case. As I said I am using a rubber tee that holds a normal golf tee.

The Real Feel is also a little cheaper when you factor in the size of the mat you are getting and the fact that ALL of the mat has that hitting surface, as opposed to just a portion of True Strike.

I paid over $110 dollars to return the True Strike, but I am glad I did only because I am happy with the Real Feel. My opinion as I am sure others will say different. True Strike makes a decent product, but IMO it needs some improvement/tweaks for GC2 users. For the price TrueStrike is charging, i want the product to be perfect. I find that Real Feel was perfect for me.

If you want to buy a True Strike, I highly recommend going with intheholegolf.com. Free shipping and no tax to the states.

If you want Real Feel, just get it directly from their website. Ask the owner Jay for a 10% off online coupon and he may give you a discount.

Thanks DjPILL. A very comprehensive analysis!

I'm not too fussed about the tee issue. What I want is a surface that is forgiving to fat shots. In other words, minimal club head resistance or a surface that facilitates the club head sliding over the surface. At the moment I can only really hit balls for an hour before I start worrying about causing a repetitive strain injury due to excessive club head - turf resistance.

So I guess I would lean towards the true strike?

I have both and prefer TS. Rubber tee not an issue. It will wear and suggest you buy replacement hitting surfaces(5 pack) I am just wearing out my 2nd surface after 18 months of solid use. Every now and then take the gel section apart and readjust.

2 Iron DjPiLL is on a distinguished road
    Thanks DjPILL. A very comprehensive analysis!

I'm not too fussed about the tee issue. What I want is a surface that is forgiving to fat shots. In other words, minimal club head resistance or a surface that facilitates the club head sliding over the surface. At the moment I can only really hit balls for an hour before I start worrying about causing a repetitive strain injury due to excessive club head - turf resistance.

So I guess I would lean towards the true strike?

I dunno. I would try to hit both surfaces and decide. Make sure you have no issues placing a rubber tee on top of your mat to hit driver, because the GC2's hitting zone does not have enough coverage to hit the rubber tee cutouts on a Truestrike range section as well as the Gel.

CPA posted some videos with truestrike. You can see him place the rubber tee on top of the gel section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHKfMb_Wyks

TrueStrike gel isn't bad. But I liked the Real Feel better in the end. Just my two cents.

Just found out the surface I have is called "Ultee".

The other good option GM is divotaction. I plan to get it to trial.

Thanks guys. Tee issue aside, I'm still a little confused regarding which surface you think is the most forgiving (least "grabbing") - trustrike or real feel

IMO TS grabs less.

Looking at both the TS and RF websites, it looks like the RF construction is very similar to my Ultee mat. Also, the RF is promoted as having "no bounce", but bounce, I think, is what I actually want to minimise gripping.

GM ring the golf shops near you or email TS to try and find one to hit off before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    GM ring the golf shops near you or email TS to try and find one to hit off before you buy.
    Down here in hicksville - simply not possible. Divotaction looks really good. Only $90 for the insert

Down here in hicksville - simply not possible. Divotaction looks really good. Only $90 for the insert
    You will be surprised, email TS.
    I have asked Divotaction for a ship quote.

3 Iron tarmactrr is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    The other good option GM is divotaction. I plan to get it to trial.
    I've been happy with my divot action. I've started to wear grooves in it from hitting balls in the same spot... but that would be happening with any mat I'm sure.

Yes T TS wears and replacement surface is $85, same price as a new divot action insert!

Just ordered the divotaction dual plate+position track combo. Freight $120. Will review when I receive it.

Par Kball is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmactrr View Post
    That's the divot action mat I'm asking about. It seems really cool, but sofar other than the company owner, I haven't seen any actual reviews of the product on here.
    I have the divot action mat with the GC2. I have been very please with this set-up -- although my ceiling is too low to hit a driver or 3 wood so I have not used a tee very often. The only reason I mention this is ideally you can hit with a tee say for the driver and without a tee for your irons with no need to move the GC2. I have considered the position track and probably would have purchased it if I could hit driver in my basement. I also have the real feel mat and agree with your comment that it scrubs off a lot of speed.

Got both divotaction and position track.

Divotaction is great - very clever idea and really minimises shock/vibration. I just use rubber tees placed on top. Well worth the money. I got the rough turf as well but haven't used it yet. I practice almost 100% of time so I probably won't use rough that much. Good to have to practice pitching out of rough though (clean contact etc).

Position track - not that impressed with it. Quite cumbersome. Nothing like the promo video. Every time you slide it, you would have to recalibrate with your laser as it can rotate a few degrees quite easily. Might be good if you must have simultaneous lefty play. Keep in mind, I mostly practice and don't play. For gamers it might be quite useful moving from turf to turf.

Putter Iocol is on a distinguished road
    Got both divotaction and position track.

Divotaction is great - very clever idea and really minimises shock/vibration. I just use rubber tees placed on top. Well worth the money. I got the rough turf as well but haven't used it yet. I practice almost 100% of time so I probably won't use rough that much. Good to have to practice pitching out of rough though (clean contact etc).

Position track - not that impressed with it. Quite cumbersome. Nothing like the promo video. Every time you slide it, you would have to recalibrate with your laser as it can rotate a few degrees quite easily. Might be good if you must have simultaneous lefty play. Keep in mind, I mostly practice and don't play. For gamers it might be quite useful moving from turf to turf.
    Does the DivotAction create any accuracy issues with the GC2, like the ones that have been reported with the RealFeal matts? Also, what are people using to keep their GC2 level with the mat surface? I've seen a few plates floating around but not sure whether they are custom-made or purchased?

Dan

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    I've got Cory's mat from Par2Pro, similar to the RealFeel. I just have the GC2 sitting on a level block next to the mat. Works fine and doesn't move.

Thread Information