CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saucer Pass

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar

Saucer Pass

I just finished watching Big Break Greenbrier since golfchannel.com put them all online. Has anyone here tried saucing? I didn't see any threads after a quick search.

Explanation:
    http://www.golfchannel.com/media/big...ss-tip-121812/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJ6ZB8koIo

Demos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zujdajT7748
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdpoMnDtAoo
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I've tried it and i think with some practice it could come in handy for somebody with chipping yips. I found it was too easy to hit skulls with it though.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    only a Canadian would dream up a golf shot like that.... thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I found it was too easy to hit skulls with it though.
    Really? Hmmmmm....I didn't think you could skull it as you are sliding into it. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Hard for me since I play hockey lefty and golf righty, feels unnatural to hit a hockey shot on my golf side!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Nothing stopping you from carrying a left handed wedge - as long as you have a max of 14 clubs.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Watch for it to be banned soon.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You're toying with us now, aren't you? I predicted that would happen as soon as it became popular. It will be banished too. There is nothing in that stroke that reflects the history and traditions of the game. Like anchored putting, it will disturb the sensitivities of a majority of the members of the ruling bodies. Like anchored putting it will be relegated to Golf's Gulag. And like anchored putting, the fact that it was not born in conflict with the existing rules will be irrelevant to its banishment.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Hopefully not. I used it a few times late last year on the dead pan on the bottom of the hill on Premiere #11. Worked like a charm once and not at all the other times. I think it takes much practice. Or perhaps I should just try to avoid that area.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I suffered from chipping woes for years...a complete mental breakdown it which cost me a ton of strokes and the butt of many jokes amongst my golfing friends and family! I saw this technique about two years ago and thought, what the heck...tried everything else...let's give it a shot! And it worked! I began to achieve success around the green and the scores started to come down...noticeably...because of such success.

I am now back on track with the normal chipping style...mostly due to the fact, I believe, that I knew I had an alternate method which would work if the traditional format didn't for me. Confidence breeds more confidence and ultimately success, IMHO. This particular shot, although completely unorthodox - I agree, provided me that confidence after years of suffering.

My buddies call it my 'hockey shot'. They can call it whatever they want... As long as it works when I need it to...
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Great stories guys, thanks for sharing. I messed around with it & I think it has some potential to be put in play if I can get better feel for it.

I know this technique is meant for tight lies, but has anyone tried it from the rough with the ball on a good lie?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    He speaks the truth, Mike.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Didn't you expend a lot of time trying to convince me that this stroke was perfectly legal? You rightly based your arguments on the rules, and you were right to do so. After all, the ruling bodies just can't make this stuff up as you go along. Or can they? The anchored putting ruling suggests that they can do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    He speaks the truth, Mike.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Didn't you expend a lot of time trying to convince me that this stroke was perfectly legal? You rightly based your arguments on the rules, and you were right to do so. After all, the ruling bodies just can't make this stuff up as you go along. Or can they? The anchored putting ruling suggests that they can do just that.
    The JRC can do whatever they wish and rightfully so. And don't be surprised if they ban the SP, too.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I did, Mike. However, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I wouldn't be surprised of that at all, Lyle. If one is determined to ban strokes that don't have the look and feel of a traditional golf stroke, then the saucer pass jumps to the top of that list well ahead to the anchored putting stroke. For what it's worth even I had trouble from the beginning with this hockey/golf shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    The JRC can do whatever they wish and rightfully so. And don't be surprised if they ban the SP, too.

And you do so wonderfully, Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I did, Mike. However, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

Come to think of it, the Natural Golf Swing of Moe Norman doesn't look much like the traditional golf swing. Maybe it should be given the boot as well.

I wouldn't be surprised of that at all, Lyle. If one is determined to ban strokes that don't have the look and feel of a traditional golf stroke, then the saucer pass jumps to the top of that list well ahead to the anchored putting stroke. For what it's worth even I had trouble from the beginning with this hockey/golf shot.

The Vancouver Sun has reported that the saucer pass has now been determined to be illegal as it constitutes scraping the ball.
    Last edited by mpare; 05-04-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: To make the obvious even more so.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    When did the Vancouver Sun become a ruling body in the game of golf???
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Well The Province sure as heck isn't going to be one, the Sun gets my vote if it's between those two.

Surprising as it may seem, the Vancouver Sun is a newspaper that reports on news. In this case they reported on a decision which has just been rendered by those who have authority over the rules of golf. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/g...807/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post

Well so much for that....back to Utley it is!

Thread Information