100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    2Low4U
    Anderson Links, Cloverdale and Emerald Links are all in God awful condition. Greens non existent, tee blocks resemble the rough at any average public course and the service at all 3 were down right embarrassing. Icing on the cake, charging full pin, $52.50, not even a twilight rate!!!
    Last edited by Kilroy; 05-13-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Low4U View Post
    Anderson Links, Cloverdale and Emerald Links are all in God awful condition. Greens non existent, tee blocks resemble the rough at any average public course and the service at all 3 were down right embarrassing. Icing on the cake, charging full pin, $52.50, not even a twilight rate!!!
    Thanks for posting Terry. Will stay away for awhile.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Metcalfe has nice greens and good fairways right now. They where rolling quite well,not too slow,not too fast. Great little course and friendly staff always.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Ya played EL Sunday, they have no business charging $62 the condition the course is in. I didn't botice the tee boxes so much, but the greens were in poor shape.

Putter fivemilesout is on a distinguished road
    I played Anderson this past weekend. The course was in great shape.

Putter fivemilesout is on a distinguished road
    When did you play Anderson?

8 Iron sneaky is on a distinguished road
    +1
    Anderson Links is in great condition. Twilight starts at 5.
    The greens at Cloverdale Links however are terrible like Bearbrook.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    How's Casselview? Booked for saturday morning.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Just called Chateau Cartier to find out what is going on. All 18 holes are open but,the number 17 green is temporary as it was sodded last week and number 18 is a par 3 hole.

2Low4U
    Anyone hear anything about Kinsgway? Thinking about entering the Spring Open Qualifier last minute but if it's still in rough shape like it was when I was a junior I may opt to go out to The Falcon in Hudson QC instead. Tough to justify firing 100$ to play Kingsway, but it's a small field and would be easier to qualify through than at The Falcon.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thansk to all who chimed in on course conditions, too bad about all the changes at Chateau Cartier, sounds like the changes will make this course very boring but who knows. That first hole is a joke as the fairway is about 80 yds wide lined on each side with nets to prevent your ball from going into the condos and onto the range on the other side.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Sounds like 2low4u and fivemilesout need some couples counselling, two completely opposite opinions of the Anderson Links course and the posts only 2 days apart??
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

2Low4U
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Sounds like 2low4u and fivemilesout need some couples counselling, two completely opposite opinions of the Anderson Links course and the posts only 2 days apart??
    Lol, tee decks were slopped like turtle back greens and the grass was rough length on them. Middle of every fairway is torn to shreds, looking like a science project gone wrong with no end in sight. One side of every green is unputtable, so not sure what fivemilesout considers adequate golfing conditions but from my end it wasn't even close to average. Not to mention the staff needs a lesson on customer service, & the cpga pro on site needs an attitude check. 50$ to play that just made it a sour day. It would be tough to go back for free.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Low4U View Post
    Anyone hear anything about Kinsgway? Thinking about entering the Spring Open Qualifier last minute but if it's still in rough shape like it was when I was a junior I may opt to go out to The Falcon in Hudson QC instead. Tough to justify firing 100$ to play Kingsway, but it's a small field and would be easier to qualify through than at The Falcon.
    I already have a copy of the draw and unless they are taking late entries you may be too late to get in. I was there last week and the greens were still suspect.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    Is great to know the conditions, money is tight and I like to spend it where is worth it, thanks.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    How's Casselview? Booked for saturday morning.
    Greens are very nice at Casselview.....whole course was well manicured for this time of year

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Casselview...Played it Friday, and despite my best score in many years, found it disappointing in many respects. Greens, as reported, are in excellent condition. Did not see any Winter kill, and few pitch marks; very fast, probably the fastest I have ever seen there. The over all conditions though are probably the worst I have seen in the last 8 years of going there. Worst spot is #14 (short par 4 dog-leg along the road) is now a par 3 from a tiny mound of dirt tee box with no yardage sign. Bottom of hill is covered in tarp and where the ground under is viewed it is just dirt. Many fairways are thin, reminding me of the worst days at Pineview or many holes at Metcalfe. Many places there is no grass under the ball in the fairway. I still enjoy the course, despite a Starter who promised a speedy round with vigorous marshalling, it worked out to be a slow 4:45. Will go again, but disappointed with the conditioning of this historically very good golf course.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 05-18-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added course name...
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Also played it Friday,second game there this year,yes the 14th tee box is under repair,hopefully will be back to a par 4 soon.Myself and buddy always get there for around 630am and are done by 1030...It gets busy fast...so expect anywhere from 4.5 -5 hrs for 18.Friend had a 15 dollar off coupon but they would not except it on the special of 30$ green fee till May 17...always a catch

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar

Bearbrook

Headed out to the Bear yesterday for the first time this year. Tee to green, pretty good with the exception of the green aspect. ALL greens, virtually unplayable. Not sure whether it is from ice damage or some disease/fungus. However, it's affected not just the ones in the sun, or those in the shade...but ALL. Impossible to get any form of a true roll on the ball literally at any distance. Disappointing, as their greens have in the past been one of their strong points. Played discount rate via one of the discount club memberships. Definitely not worth full pop yet... Nice to see friendly staff in the clubhouse.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    HAMMOND... Any reports since they opened on May 8th? Thanks!
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    played a last minute round at Glen Mar , decent shape , just wish they would sink some money in to improving the overall condition of this course.
    Bonus ; 2 1/2 hour round , riding

7 Iron Tee made is on a distinguished road Tee made's Avatar
    Anyone play Outaouis recently? Deciding between there or Loch March for this coming Friday - if anyone has played both I would love you to be the tie breaking vote (which ever has better greens/fairways).

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    sounds like LM is a little rough right now. not sure about Outaouais but they are both strong courses.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee made View Post
    Anyone play Outaouis recently? Deciding between there or Loch March for this coming Friday - if anyone has played both I would love you to be the tie breaking vote (which ever has better greens/fairways).
    Was at Outaouais 2 weeks ago nad in very good condition. Best bet for now I think.

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    Stay away from Montebello. 2 temporary greens (1 and 18), 4 greens have tarps covering half the greens and the remaining greens are dirt and pretty much unplayable. Tee boxes are awful and fairways have a lot of dead spots.

Not sure what happenned to this course but it's in awful shape. The course should not be open.

They claim to be telling people about the temporary greens, but no one told us when we called.

Quote Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
    Stay away from Montebello. 2 temporary greens (1 and 18), 4 greens have tarps covering half the greens and the remaining greens are dirt and pretty much unplayable. Tee boxes are awful and fairways have a lot of dead spots.

Not sure what happenned to this course but it's in awful shape. The course should not be open.

They claim to be telling people about the temporary greens, but no one told us when we called.
    Sad to hear that. Thanks for the info.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar

Tx for the info. One of my favourite courses which I had actually planned to play later this week. I think we'll hang tight for awhile. But what is it with this past winter and greens??? So many courses normally known for great greens were hit with something....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar

HOLD ON! I played Montebello yesterday (11:20am). When we called Thursday, first thing they told us was that they had 2 temporary greens and the rest of the greens were in bad shape....winter damage. They are only charging $40 (includes de cart) and they are giving a 2 for 1 coupon for a future visit this summer. Everyone from the person taking the reservation to the gentleman in the pro-shop to Joanne the starter were very clear about the courses condition. Not sure why your experience was so negative.

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    HOLD ON! I played Montebello yesterday (11:20am). When we called Thursday, first thing they told us was that they had 2 temporary greens and the rest of the greens were in bad shape....winter damage. They are only charging $40 (includes de cart) and they are giving a 2 for 1 coupon for a future visit this summer. Everyone from the person taking the reservation to the gentleman in the pro-shop to Joanne the starter were very clear about the courses condition. Not sure why your experience was so negative.
    "not sure why you experience was so negative"? If you played the courese yesterday, you can't seriously say that you enjoyed the course conditions? As well, no one told us about the conditions when we booked our tee time. Only once in the proshop were we told about the conditions and the 2 temporary greens (no one mentionned the half covered greens or the greens with hardly any grass). Really sucks that we had to drive an hour and then told about the conditions. IMO the course right now is not worth $40 and should not be opened. I would not play the course for at least another 3-4 weeks.

Pitching Wedge Big Juicy is on a distinguished road Big Juicy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Tx for the info. One of my favourite courses which I had actually planned to play later this week. I think we'll hang tight for awhile. But what is it with this past winter and greens??? So many courses normally known for great greens were hit with something....
    The courses that are suffering from poor greens were hit with ice damage from the warm weather we had in January. The snow melted and formed a layer of ice when it got cold again. The layer of ice "suffocates" the grass and we end up with brown putting surfaces to start the year. Sure there are some course with decent greens but most courses (including some private clubs with huge maintenance budgets) have suffered because of mother nature. Even courses that covered their greens have ended up with some rough patches.

Keeping a course closed is obviously not an option because it is a business. What is required is a combination of good customer service, a reasonable green fee (based on current conditions) and an understanding public. People can't expect immaculate conditions when you are only willing to pay $25. Golf courses have a tremendous amount of overhead and a short window of revenue capture. We might as well face it, it's going to be a challenging season for golfers and golf course operators.

Thread Information