100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Bouche
    Played Pineview today and the greens were rolling true and very fast. This is the fastest I have seen them this year! The rain and aeration has helped. Give them another week and they will be near mint. I just feel like yes we took a beating this year in Ottawa but by now with all the rain/sun, the greens should be almost healed. I feel like the courses I have played (forgot to mention Outaouis and I checked out Camelot in previous post) have come a long way from where the greens were at the start of the year. I read about the marshes and how they still have not grown in and I feel like maybe its because they are 2-3 weeks behind with aeration. If they would have aerated before all this rain, the greens would have started turning for the better much quicker. Just my opinion and i'm no super

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    I was talking to the pro ar Cassleview last week and he mentioned that they take great care in preparing their greens for winter : tarp , 3 feet of hay and another tarp on every green . Then they start shovelling off the snow when the melt begins. In talking to a super at another local course this is very expensive ( materials and labor ). Good planning , some hard work and $ spent seems to be the answer.

Bouche
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    I was talking to the pro ar Cassleview last week and he mentioned that they take great care in preparing their greens for winter : tarp , 3 feet of hay and another tarp on every green . Then they start shovelling off the snow when the melt begins. In talking to a super at another local course this is very expensive ( materials and labor ). Good planning , some hard work and $ spent seems to be the answer.
    Prescott does the same.
    The tarps is where the real expense is, not the labor.

I am assuming most courses with a loader remove snow during the winters end

Gap Wedge ClubFoot is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    Played Pineview today and the greens were rolling true and very fast. This is the fastest I have seen them this year! The rain and aeration has helped. Give them another week and they will be near mint.... Just my opinion and i'm no super
    We (foursome) played Pineview yesterday, Saturday, for the 1st time this year and we have to agree with Bouche that the greens were in very good condition. The four of us were hesitant to play there since a much earlier post had informed us that the greens were in very poor condition...but that is not the case now. Eight of us are going to play there again next Thursday.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Played Heritage yesterday...course is very good shape. Greens are true and consitent. Great course in a excellent setting.

3 Wood Rocket Man is on a distinguished road Rocket Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouche View Post
    Played Pineview today and the greens were rolling true and very fast. This is the fastest I have seen them this year! The rain and aeration has helped. Give them another week and they will be near mint. I just feel like yes we took a beating this year in Ottawa but by now with all the rain/sun, the greens should be almost healed. I feel like the courses I have played (forgot to mention Outaouis and I checked out Camelot in previous post) have come a long way from where the greens were at the start of the year. I read about the marshes and how they still have not grown in and I feel like maybe its because they are 2-3 weeks behind with aeration. If they would have aerated before all this rain, the greens would have started turning for the better much quicker. Just my opinion and i'm no super
    Played Pineview on Friday and I have to agree. The greens were in great shape! Nicest I've ever seen at Pineview although I generally only play it once or twice a year.

It had rained on Thursday so some parts of the fairway and most bunkers were very wet (some bunkers were full of standing water). But the shape of the greens made up for it.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Played Le Sorcier on Saturday and the greens are brutal, very shaggy, they need to be cut. The greens are also very rough and bumpy, we never got a true roll, lots of hops, skips and jumps by the ball on all putts. The ball quite often was heading straight at the heart of the hole and would turn right or left 6 to 12 inches from the hole, very hard to see these breaks. I was very annoyed during the round and I am sure the greens cost me at least 6 strokes on my final score. For the fees they are charging the greens are very hard to play. The greens were very lush and green, but it was like walking and putting on very long shag carpet. The rest of the course is in great shape but the greens need some serious rolling and cutting.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road

Sorcier

That's good to know about Sorcier. I am likely to treat my 30 handicap self to a high-end course over the Canada Day weekend as a reward for some personal accomplishments as of late and I was thinking about maybe trying Sorcier (have never been there before). Likely to do Outaouais instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    That's good to know about Sorcier. I am likely to treat my 30 handicap self to a high-end course over the Canada Day weekend as a reward for some personal accomplishments as of late and I was thinking about maybe trying Sorcier (have never been there before). Likely to do Outaouais instead.
    Don't let the current conditions of the greens at Sorcier hold you back. The setting is quite unique to the area and a treat to play even if the greens need a haircut. Each hole is secluded from the others...very intimate.

Heritage though is in very good condition and with the completion of highway 50 in the past year on the QC side it's now a breeze to get there....give it some consideration also. Not as tight a course as Sorcier but nice hilly terrain for sure....greens are in very good shape.

Bazzell
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Played Bearbrook yesterday afternoon. Their greens are still in EXTREMELY rough shape. Be advised that they were punching them all yesterday while I was playing. Didn't look like anything was going to be filled afterwards. Still good for practice rounds at the discounted pricing....but forget about putting for awhile....

I was out there on Monday afternoon. Had the clubs out of the car. Looked at the 9th and 18th greens and put the clubs back in the car. You are correct they have been punched and have not been filled in. I honestly think I would have a better roll of the ball if I putted on my gravel lane way. This is a course that should go on everyone's "avoid" list for the next month. The greens I feel will take that long to fill in.. All the best to them but I will leave the clubs in the car...

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Well, out of those four you've named, Casselman and Prescott have been in great shape since they took their covers off in late April / early May. I can't speak to Renfrew as I have yet to play it this year. However, I played Pineview yesterday for the second time this season. They're coming .... but nowhere near their mid-season shape!

The Ottawa Region courses took a beating... Marshes, the Hunt Club, the Royal Ottawa etc. etc.....courses which are normally at least 9 out of 10 wrt condition, all hurting this year. We need to reflect on the fact that this is a strange season with strange weather leading up to and continuing into mid-season play.

We've had many a good year... but this just isn't one. We need to support all our courses during this tough, tough season and recognize that they are doing their best with what Mother Nature is providing...which, to this point, has not been much! And again, IMHO.
    How recently have you played Royal, Hunt and the Marshes? I am a member at Hunt, and have played Royal, and it was a night and day difference. Its true, there are three fairways at the hunt (of 27 holes) that were below standard (in my humble opinion anyway). I found Royal to be as bad as its ever been in my experience. The information regarding Marshes is concerning as I have a tournament booked in August. Can anyone speak to the Marshes conditions this week? I guess its all relative. Coming back from Arizona, everything seems substandard, but Ottawa courses are so inexpensive in relation to what you pay abroad, you take the good with the bad.

4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road

eQuinelle

I played in a tourney at eQuinelle yesterday. Pristine. The fairways were like carpet. There were a couple of chewy areas but they were few and far between. Hats off to the supe.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    How recently have you played Royal, Hunt and the Marshes? I am a member at Hunt, and have played Royal, and it was a night and day difference. Its true, there are three fairways at the hunt (of 27 holes) that were below standard (in my humble opinion anyway). I found Royal to be as bad as its ever been in my experience. The information regarding Marshes is concerning as I have a tournament booked in August. Can anyone speak to the Marshes conditions this week? I guess its all relative. Coming back from Arizona, everything seems substandard, but Ottawa courses are so inexpensive in relation to what you pay abroad, you take the good with the bad.
    Obviously, you're aware of the Hunt's problems. Marshes have a long, long way to come back...read the threads here as recently as two days ago. I did have occasion today to return to Pineview and must say that the warm weather has allowed grass to return to the greens...they have really come a long, long way in two weeks. Kudos to the grounds crew there... Ottawa courses were indeed wounded by the weird spring weather...however, as all good things Canadian, they're bouncing back!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Played Arnprior today---what a treat
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    HAMMOND -
    Played there today. As with many other comments their greens too have suffered. Although not as bad as some I have played they are the worst I've seen there in many years. Most greens have some damage and were generally bumpy. I saw no signs of punching or sanding although it appeared they had recently fertilized. Rest of the course is about the same as usual, some fairways better than others. They left a bit of tall grass around some of the trees between the fairways but that was by exception. What did impress was that despite the heavy rains of the last week there was only one hole, #17, where there was obvious recent drainage issues. Seems that their work over the last few years has enabled them to deal with heavy rains quickly.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Played a quick 9 at Larrimac this evening. Greens are impeccable. Fairways are also in excellent condition. Nice course for a quick loop around.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I had the opportunity to visit the Marshes this morning and left with a favorable impression. Although there are noted deficiencies on a few greens, these are mainly cosmetic. Given the size of the green, the staff can place pins in positions that negate the worst of the green conditions. The fairways and tee boxes are fantastic and the overall layout is quite interesting, providing a unique blend of challenge and risk/reward. Many holes are framed, presenting a visually appealing layout. Overall, as noted, it was a very favorable impression. I look forward to providing a course review following my first round in July.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Played Chateau Cartier today and the course is really in excellent shape. All of the greens are receptive and are rolling great. The fairways are in good shape too except for a couple. The layout is good and the score card is up to date. The old 17 par 3 was not in play at all and the new 18 (old 16) is listed as 500 yds but it was still playing at the old yardage (about 410). I am not sure where the tee box will be for it to play 500 yds unless they forgo the current green and use the old par 3 green they built? I would recommend playing there for sure. The first hole is a straight away 185 yd par 3 to a new green that is quite challenging and #2 is now a par 4. The other new green is on #12 and is not bad leaving the old green to be played from 120yd par 3.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Played Chateau Cartier today and the course is really in excellent shape. All of the greens are receptive and are rolling great. The fairways are in good shape too except for a couple. The layout is good and the score card is up to date. The old 17 par 3 was not in play at all and the new 18 (old 16) is listed as 500 yds but it was still playing at the old yardage (about 410). I am not sure where the tee box will be for it to play 500 yds unless they forgo the current green and use the old par 3 green they built? I would recommend playing there for sure. The first hole is a straight away 185 yd par 3 to a new green that is quite challenging and #2 is now a par 4. The other new green is on #12 and is not bad leaving the old green to be played from 120yd par 3.
    I am curious what they do for 18 as well , I could see them making 17 shorter and extending 18 tee box to where current 17 tee box is now. 1st is a tough tee shot for the first shot of the day, but much better than a lame par 4

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Gatineau greens where cut and rolled today making them a bit fast!!! Not a good day.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Whats going on at Eagle Creek? I heard the bug machine broke.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Whats going on at Eagle Creek? I heard the bug machine broke.
    At the beginning of the year, they were waiting for parts for the fogger. They received those well over a month ago and the standing water was pretty close to being gone. Bugs were fine the last week I was playing there. This was the week of June 9th.

The course had also made a 180 degree turn from when it opened. Only a couple of fairways were still in poor shape.

Upper Canada is in very nice shape tee to green, man was it playing long in yesterday's conditions.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Well, Summer is here now and much of this thread is out of date, so I am closing it now.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information