+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Mont Ste Marie Golf

See link below article in “ La Gatineau” unfortunately is all in French but looks like it is officially closed.

Google Translator is good enough to get the story.

http://www.lagatineau.com/le-golf-du...ZrZIj5Nk.email
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    That's really sad...held many a great tournament up there for our hockey assocation! Bussed to and from Orleans by Coach, staff came out and met the bus when we arrived, carts were at the ready for the bags, starter was always hospitable and informative of course conditions and it was a fun and fair course to play! Great memories...sad to see her go!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Unfortunate. It was getting less and less busy every year we went up there to play.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Apparently, there is a meeting today with the Municipality who could potentially open the course. It is a public meeting, scheduled for 8:30pm tonight.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    13 months ago they were talking about opening 9 holes only. My first couple rounds there, the parking lot was empty then they had some aggressive specials that did bring some traffic but obviously wasn't profitable enough. Conditions were great last year but it was a dry season and that suits the course.

It has been for sale for some time and I'm told the asking price is to high.Land all around it that was suppose to be developed into a condo community has not gone forward and I think the uncertain state of the Club has a huge influence on the condo project.

They also struggled with kitchen/dinning-room issues and had laid off or cut the hours of many of the staff. What was once a happy place, was lacking in positive energy.

Hoping the club gets sold and something happens soon before it all becomes part of history. Great place and 15 mins away of where I spend my weekends in the summer.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

7 Iron Ace-IT is on a distinguished road Ace-IT's Avatar
    FINALLY, a deal has been made between the Municipality and the owners and Mont-Ste-Marie will stay open for the 2013 season ..at least.

http://www.lagatineau.com/le-golf-du...t-cette-saison

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I wonder if they'll open the full 18 or only 9?
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Good news and I also would love to know if they will open full 18 or only 9 and are they opening? Guess they would be a couple weeks behind schedule considering that the owners wouldn't have started spring prep...

7 Iron Ace-IT is on a distinguished road Ace-IT's Avatar
    I just read in "Le Droit" that they would have 18 holes open.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I'm one of those people that frequent the area in the summer to go to my parents cottage on Lac Heney just up the road. From time to time we used to play a round of golf. We more or less stopped because we found that it ended up taking a good part chunk of the weekend to play while the rest of the family were back at the cottage. If you consider travel time, warm up and a 4.5 hour round of golf you're looking at 5.5 - 6 hours in your day, of a typical 2 day weekend. We tried early morning, we tried lunch and the evening and we just couldn't find a time that wouldn't impact "cottage life".

Makes me wonder if this course would have a better chance of success being a 9 hole course at a reduced rate and cater to the "cottage golfer". I'm doubtful enough people travel from Ottawa just to play a round of golf up there, so if the demographic is just cottagers, maybe a 9 hole course would be more appealing. For those that want to do a full 18, they can loop twice. Besides, that front 9 is something special up there.

Never looked at it that way but that a good point. I will say that I have skipped out on a round for that same reason, even after bringing the clubs with me. I guess I just don't like the idea of playing 9 holes but for their location it could be a viable idea.

4 Iron Keals is on a distinguished road
    I think it's great news that the municipality will taking over and all 18 holes will be open. I do understand that most of you who have cottages in the area would like to play only 9 holes because of timing but you have to consider that there are a lot of golfers in that area and they don't have much options aside from MSM, Algonquin, Edelweiss, Cascades...unless you want to trek down to the city. Golfers in the NCR are lucky to have so many courses so close to the city!

Maybe they should have 9 hole rates....this might bring in a few extra people to the course on weekends. I know when i played there a few times last year, $29.99 plus tax for 18 holes and a cart on Sunday afternoons was a steal!

I'm with you Keals, 9 hole rates could give them an idea of how popular it would be. It would probably mean having to be more vigilant at the 10th hole or have Marshals check receipts but it could be worth it. I for one, prefer to play 18 or nothing...

Thread Information