CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Virginia Golf

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road

Virginia Golf

My wife and I have booked a trip to Virginia this Easter and plan to golf two courses around Fredericksburg. The courses are Gauntlet and Lee's Hill. Anybody play those courses? If so, how are they? How long was the drive to Virginia? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparsons
    My wife and I have booked a trip to Virginia this Easter and plan to golf two courses around Fredericksburg. The courses are Gauntlet and Lee's Hill. Anybody play those courses? If so, how are they? How long was the drive to Virginia? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
    My friends and I are leaving for Winchester, Virginia on our annual trip the first week of April. Here's the information that you need for yours.

We normally leave at 6 a.m. from Ottawa and at 3 p.m we arrive at Front Royal (about 20 further than Winchester where we bunk at one of the local motels) where we quickly race on to the Shenandoah Valley Golf Club to get in 18. Yes, 18. We don't mess around. Now this requires a bit of cruising (the speed limits are exceeded somewhat). By the way, Shenandoah is a great bargain at $20 per day Monday through Thursday for all day golf. Fridays to Sundays is a bit higher and carts are mandatory then, but worth it. Here's the link: http://www.svgcgolf.com/

As for Fredericksburg, I've played Lee's Hill. It's a nice track with interesting historic sites interspersed at various locations. The day we played it was cold, but we still have a very nice time. The course ranges from 5064 yds to 6834 yds and, if I remember correctly, the price is quite reasonable. They have (or at least had) a toll free number - maybe it's only good in the USA, but here it is: 1-800-930-3636. Their direct number is 1-540-891-0111.

I haven't played the Gauntlet, but friends of mine have (in fact, we too will be playing it this trip) and I'm told told it's worth it.

You might want to check out the Cannon Ridge Golf Course (The Beman Course) which the January, 2005 issue of Golf Digest lists as the 2nd Best New Affordable Public course in the USA. I haven't played it yet, but at $50 to walk it, I intend to do so. Here is the link: www.cannonridge.com.

Oh yes, unless you are a very nervous person and have booked your hotel or motel ahead of time (we don't), then you should stop in at the tourist information location as you enter Virginia. Don't worry, you won't miss it. Get a tourist catalogue for each of you from them listing the bargains for hotel, motels, etc. The coupons will save you a bit of money.

The drive down won't be a problem. Depending on when you're planning to drive down, though, you might want to take the route that circles around Syracuse. It will save you a bit of time during rush hour.

One last point. On your way back you might want to break up your trip by staying just outside Conklin, New York for the night. Next morning, bright and early, you should play the Conklin Players Club. This is a real beauty and the pro shop will definitely give you a good tee time if you call them the night before. Here is the link for that course: www.conklinplayers.com

Have fun.

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road
    Thanks MPare. Your reply had alot of useful information in it. We actually have our hotel book already. It is a package deal with the Ramada in Fredericksburg. One night and two rounds of golf with cart for $139.00 USD per person. They had 6 courses to choose from, we picked Lee's Hill and Gauntlet. We wanted to play Augustine, but they had a tournament on that day, so we choose Lee's Hill. I shall let you know how it was when we get back next week. Thanks again.

Thread Information