CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF View Post
    Masters is still reviewing this drop, wow! The Masters will never disqualify him, too much room for interpretation in the rule.
    Whatever transpires will be based on the Rule of Golf, not "The Masters."

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    So stroke and distance applies but does he stills use the last point of which the ball crossed into the hazard (it crossed twice 1 on the flight in and then rolled back into the hazard to the left of the flag) which to me is where it rolled in...i think this is bad news...He should have been in a straight line down by the left side of the fairway...maybe i am forgetting something...

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    One of Tiger's options is to drop a ball on a line from the flagstick through where the original ball last crossed the hazard margin, as you have described. He did not choose that option. Instead, he chose the stroke and distance option to get a better angle to the hole and to get more spin on the ball from a farther distance. He had another option, that is, to play a ball from a drop zone, but I am unsure if there was one on that hole.
    In the interview Tiger said he walked to the drop zone, didn't like the lie, "It was into the grain.", so went back to where he took the original shot.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    The straight line is from the flagstick and where it last crossed the margin of the hazard which was to the left. Dropping as near as possible to where the previous stroke was made is as near as possible not a yard or so away. I want to watch him play but I don't think it will happen.

From Golf Channel it looks like they made give him a 2 stroke penalty but not confirmed yet. Tiger was summoned to the course and is meeting with the rules committee.

Another point to consider is the meaning of "as nearly as possible." Taken literally, it would mean dropping you ball in the divot created by the original stroke. This seldom happens. Therefore, there has to be some wiggle room as to how far from the actual original spot really is. Would a yard be too much?

This is similar to determining the length of time a ball has to be at rest, to be at rest. Generally, 3 to 4 seconds is used, even though a ball is literally at rest much sooner.

Confirmed a 2 stroke penalty

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    Tiget gets 2 shot penalty and not dq, shame on him and on masters commitee

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Another point to consider is the meaning of "as nearly as possible." Taken literally, it would mean dropping you ball in the divot created by the original stroke. This seldom happens. Therefore, there has to be some wiggle room as to how far from the actual original spot really is. Would a yard be too much?

This is similar to determining the length of time a ball has to be at rest, to be at rest. Generally, 3 to 4 seconds is used, even though a ball is literally at rest much sooner.
    I'm not siding with either side, though this does seem to be somewhat unclear. What I mean by that is does everyone drop it exactly "as near as possible" to the spot? If you are out by 6 inches, then that is not "as near as possible" is it? As near as possible would be in the divot of the previous spot would it not? It would appear to me that while this rule would appear to be clear, the enforcement makes it difficult to enforce otherwise you would have to measure everyone's distance to their previous shot. Where would you draw that line between what would not be considered nearest anymore?

The rule should be clarified or changed to "one club length" to avoid the ambiguity. There should be no wiggle room.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    There is no question the drop was illegal that is why he got the 2 shot penalty. Notes up to last year that is an automatic dq, last year new rule to allow no dq based on phone in comments on penalties from the new hd tv. This had no bearing on tigers case and should have been da. Again shame on

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    For sure he is getting preferential treatment because he is Tiger Woods. But in my honest opinion, this is no different than Dustin Johnson being DQ'd for grounding his club in a "hazard".

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    For sure he is getting preferential treatment because he is Tiger Woods. But in my honest opinion, this is no different than Dustin Johnson being DQ'd for grounding his club in a "hazard".
    It is no different than Dustin, and he wasn't dq'd, he got a 2shot penalty!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    It is no different than Dustin, and he wasn't dq'd, he got a 2shot penalty!
    I thought he was DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard? Or would he have been DQ'd for doing so, but then he was given the penalty before he signed and turned over his card? I'm watching coverage here on tv and they are discussing if you sign the scorecard and it is incorrect, you are to be DQ'd by the rules. They brought up the 2010 PGA when Johnson had the grounding issue.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Bbc saying he has a 2 stroke penslty

Signing an incomplete or incorrect score card (Rule 6-6). DISQUALIFIED

He signed his card and the total was incorrect....Is this a debatable rule?

One club length, 48", is a lot of wiggle room. LOL

If "as nearly as possible" is to be taken literally, then Tiger's drop is obviously unacceptable. The ball should then be dropped immediately behind (the tee side)the divot. If it rolls into the divot then he would redrop as the ball would have rolled closer to the hole than the point from where the previous stroke was made.

It is interesting that he received a two stroke penalty instead of being disqualified and an anxious to discover how the Committee justifies the waiving of the DQ. If a player incurs a penalty that he did not know he had then this decision is the relevant one. http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules...n-33/#33-7/4.5. I don't believe that it would get Tiger off the hook for what he did.

The stupidity of what he did was in not asking an official to observe. If he drops in the same spot and the official says nothing, he is absolved from penalty. What he did in Abu Dhabi, I guess, was not a lesson learned.

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    There is instant replay in Football, Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and Tennis. This rule is the USGA's version of that.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    One club length, 48", is a lot of wiggle room. LOL

If "as nearly as possible" is to be taken literally, then Tiger's drop is obviously unacceptable. The ball should then be dropped immediately behind (the tee side)the divot. If it rolls into the divot then he would redrop as the ball would have rolled closer to the hole than the point from where the previous stroke was made.

It is interesting that he received a two stroke penalty instead of being disqualified and an anxious to discover how the Committee justifies the waiving of the DQ. If a player incurs a penalty that he did not know he had then this decision is the relevant one. http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules...n-33/#33-7/4.5. I don't believe that it would get Tiger off the hook for what he did.

The stupidity of what he did was in not asking an official to observe. If he drops in the same spot and the official says nothing, he is absolved from penalty. What he did in Abu Dhabi, I guess, was not a lesson learned.
    I agree, but my arguement what is the correct amount of wiggle room? 2"? 6"? 1ft" I honestly don't know? and should there be wiggle room? the rule should be black and white and I don't think it is. If it is argued that it is black and white then it is not applied in a black and white manner.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I don't think there is a debate of whether or not his drop was illegal. Obviously it was if he was given this 2-stroke penalty..Which means, he handed in and signed an incorrect scorecard. Disqualified...Not really sure how they can justify lack of disqualification on this one.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I don't think there is a debate of whether or not his drop was illegal. Obviously it was if he was given this 2-stroke penalty..Which means, he handed in and signed an incorrect scorecard. Disqualified...Not really sure how they can justify lack of disqualification on this one.
    Its called the Cheetah Rule!
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Augusta explanation :
    Attached Images

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    Should be DQ'd ... it was NOT nearest the spot of the last shot - signed an incorrect card - easy decision - DQ !!! Anyone else its an automatic DQ ..... another reason why I don't like him ... if he plays today it'll follow him the rest of his career. MOST if not ALL players and ex-players agree ....... DQ !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I agree, but my arguement what is the correct amount of wiggle room? 2"? 6"? 1ft" I honestly don't know? and should there be wiggle room? the rule should be black and white and I don't think it is. If it is argued that it is black and white then it is not applied in a black and white manner.
    We are learning that "as nearly as possibly" is to be taken literally and the two stroke penalty for playing from a wrong place, is justified.

He would normally be disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard, but:
    The issue was discussed with him by the Committee before he signed his card and they ruled - no penalty, and Tiger signed.

Subsequently, and after further review, they determined that he did play from a wrong place, assessed a two stroke penalty with no disqualification. The Committee has the right to assess a penalty "after the fact" upon review and if other facts are brought forward. Tiger was not disqualified, because he signed his scorecard based on the incorrect ruling giving to him by the Committee and this absolves him from fault for the incorrect signing.

After all the furor, the officials got it right. As they always do.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Augusta has released a statement on the issue. "Mr. Tiger Woods took an incorrect drop so there's only one outcome. Guan Tianlang will have to be disqualified." @ANGC 1 hour ago
    Brilliant lol

Augusta deemed it ok until Tiger did that interview with CBS.

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    Most of the "talk" is semantics in my mind ...... he DID NOT drop nearest the point of his last shot - there was a divot. He should have dropped right on that spot !! Then if it rolls fwd twice he can place it right beside the divot .... two yds is not "nearest the spot" of the last shot .... HE KNOWS he violated the rule .... case closed - get on your private jet and leave .... DQ !!!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    He violated a rule to gain an advantage. He should be disqualified for that, not for the scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Most of the "talk" is semantics in my mind ...... he DID NOT drop nearest the point of his last shot - there was a divot. He should have dropped right on that spot !! Then if it rolls fwd twice he can place it right beside the divot .... two yds is not "nearest the spot" of the last shot .... HE KNOWS he violated the rule .... case closed - get on your private jet and leave .... DQ !!!
    Agreed. Seems as though you and I are not the only ones. You should see the Tweets flying through Twitter right now. LPGA players, past and present PGA players.

I don't care who it is really. It could be Jack Nicklaus. I still feel as though the rules are clear and he does this for a living. He should DQ himself the same as Creamer did when she changed a club out.

Tiger should play today. On all his approach shots, have his caddy pull the flags

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    All the players tweeting are on the side of the 2 stroke penalty. Nick Faldo says Tiger should ethically WD. Whatever.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Thread Information