100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter tlsmith1999 is on a distinguished road

Impact screen placement

Hello all,
    I have been lurking around for the last few weeks trying to figure out how to setup my own simulator. After reading many helpful post, I am almost ready to start putting it all together.
    I already have an optishot, BenQ MX810st, and 8' of screen material from Cory.
    I am setting this up in the corner of my garage with 9' ceilings. I am a lefty, so I will face one wall and the screen will be on the other wall of the corner. I am shooting for a 4:3 (7.5'x10') screen mounted in what seems the common style here with bungee cords to a ridge frame.

But I have two areas that I am unsure on how to proceed.

1. I plan to have RH friends over to play. If I place the sensor about ~5' from the side wall. Will this give them enough room to swing? (This would put it in the center of where I was planning on mounting the screen)

2. How close the the back wall can I put the screen? I am willing to mount memory foam(or whatever) on the back of the screen if I can get really close to the wall.

Thanks for all of the great post, I would not have tried this without this forum.

Tim

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I start to feel comfortable with 7 feet distance from the ball to the side wall. Any closer than that and I feel constricted and my swing mechanics are affected.

I have kept my impact screen offset from the backwall at a 12 inch distance without any problems. I feel that I could reduce that to 6 inches offset if I were to use memory foam backer to protect the drywall on the back wall behind the impact screen.

Hope that helps.

Frank Hann
    Engineered Golf
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Yes, I believe 5' from ball to wall behind golfer is too little. I have 7' now and it's still just barely too close. If anyone has a Kuchar-like flat swing, they will hit it. Especially if they're tall.

bcgc0918
    I have a 15 ft stance mat and on the practice swings some tall guys still touch the side walls with the driver.

And i found that behind the screen is a good place to store extra bags of clubs if ur buddies are going to be leaving clubs at ur place. Mine is 3 ft from the wall. I always wanted to try the memory foam behind but have yet to do so. If anyone has any info or do s and dont please let me know.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Mine is about 18", it never reaches the wall even when long hitters swing at it. Air damping is enough for almost anyone, I think. If you had a 300 yard driver, maybe it would be different.

3 Wood Golfmaxxx is on a distinguished road Golfmaxxx's Avatar
    My weaved polyester impact screen is about 20" from my garage door . Its bungeed up pretty tight and has no problems

Putter tlsmith1999 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for all the great feedback.
    If I set the sensor more than 6' from the sidewall and centered on the screen, my screen will be too far out of the corner, and start to cover my only window. I am going to go ahead and build the screen, and see how well I can fit it at an angle so that the sensor will be 7'+ from the wall, but not have to shift the screen too far right. My screen will no longer be parallel to the back wall. Not sure if that make sense, but I will post up some pictures when I finish.

Lob Wedge greenstreak is on a distinguished road
    I found that I needed 8ft of wall clearance for my right hand friends in my garage set up. I'm a lefty aswell and was hoping to keep my screen closer to my outside wall. I have one friend who has a very flat swing path and he needed the extra space.All my other buds would be good with 7 feet or so.So it will depend on their swing as to how much space you can have.

Sand Wedge fewgoodcards is on a distinguished road
    tlsmith, how do you like your projector? Anyone else have the projector mentioned in the original post? I was looking at the same one and just trying to see if anyone had any reviews/comments on it. Thanks

Thread Information