100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road

GSA Golf recent version

Hey guys -

I'm wondering if anyone using GSA Golf from Martin, with a system that does not measure spin, is using the latest version of the software (February 2013). For me it's completely wacky...here are the details.

I was previously running fine on a version of GSA Golf from 2011. My system/interface just feeds shot data (club path/angle, ball speed, launch angle) into GSA Golf. The version from 2011 gives accurate results - see screenshot "Version 3-001-1206-060511.jpg".

With the newest version of GSA Golf (from February 2013), the results are crazy long. See the "February 2013 Version.jpg" screenshot. Both of these shots are very similar parameters/readings...the old one went 249 yards (reasonable) while the new version goes 311 yards (uh...yeah).

So, just curious if anyone else has hit this issue. It seems like a real flaw in the latest version, so either no one is using it or there's something really odd going on.

Version 3-001-1206-060511.jpg February 2013 Version.jpg

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Bounce and roll seems crazy long with that new version rdh? Carry distance seems reasonable but the bounce and roll are whacky. What controls the bounce and roll in that system?

Previously the software calculated spin, bounce, roll etc. just fine based on only getting the inputs I can provide (club path, face angle, ball speed, launch angle, azimuth). My problems started once red chain adjusted the software to accept spin rate inputs (to support Martin's new spin camera feedback). So, I don't know if it now requires spin to be fed in rather than calculating it. I figure there must be a lot of GGS users that just have the sensor pads (similar to my setup) without spin recognition...so i'm interested to see if they are able to use the latest version without problems. Possibly Martin did work in his interface to calculate spin rates for non-spin detection systems and feed them in to red chain's software...but i'm hoping not. I just want red chain's software to calculate spin from the parameters it's given (like it did in the past).

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    RDH is the issue the spin or the physics after ball contact?

I have no way to know what the problem is. I'm suspecting it's related to spin calculation (would a ball hit that far with absolute zero spin bounce 49 yards? I don't know) but i'm guessing. All I know is that the same parameters I feed into the old version work okay, and in the latest version they produce wacky results. I'd love to drive the ball 311 yards of course...

2 Iron stevnkrn is on a distinguished road
    First off, really nice shots rdh. I'd have to hit a lot of balls before I got two with straight and square everything. I have been using recent software for quite some time, although I have not put in the very latest with the "real" putting feature. I don't get the roll like this. I get maybe 10-20 yards with a 15º launch. Maybe it is the spin slider or roll friction settings I use. I don't know. I have a PX5 system purchased about 1-1/2 years ago so my spin is calculated solely off the sensor mat. From the pictures it looks like the shots are going down hill, and the second photo looks to be even more so than the first. If that is true that could have something to do with the roll.

Both shots were hit on the driving range that is pretty flat. And I've gotta come clean...those weren't actual swings. In my interface software (that I built to feed my Golftek data in to GSA ** I built a "test shot" function that lets me key in shot parameters and trigger a shot in GSA Golf for testing. So, those perfectly straight shots are just because I had the club path, club angle and azimuth all set to "0" for the test shot I keyed in.

Spin slider...I don't think I've ever used that. Was it always in the software, or added in the past 6-8 months?

The spin sliders are recent in the last couple of months. I recommend playing with those. They do make a significant difference in the amount of hook, slice and backspin. I actually had a ball back up when it hit the green the other day.

I don't know if I have my sliders set right yet. I need to get outside to see if what I've been seeing all winter on the sim is real. We've still got snow on the ground where I live in Wisconsin. It won't be long now though.

Are the spin sliders within the GSA Golf (red chain) software, or in the control panel? I don't use the control panel as I have my own integration program for my device.

The have been in the last several versions of the Control Panel via the Show Club Angle screen menu.

Ah...okay. I don't have that then. I was hoping it was maybe something within the red chain software that I needed to tweak to get it back working the way it used to. I sent the issue to red chain but one of their guys is on holidays for a couple weeks so i'll have to wait. They seem to take a lot of holidays over there.

8 Iron p3prouser is on a distinguished road
    I have th new version and I had multiple shots with way too long of bounce and roll... one shot had a bounce and too of 102 yards !!!! I put the friction scalar to max 2.0. Helped slot but still with long bounce and roll.... how long should the ball roll??

I'm glad to hear from someone else with similar issues. This started in the October 2012 release, so i'm amazed it's still a problem. Maybe the settings in martin's control panel are used to work around it now? I just know that if I feed shot parameters into GSA Golf, I expect red chain's software to be able to figure out (with reasonable accuracy) what the shot would have done. It did up until last fall...but doesn't anymore.

Thread Information