+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Iron cklguy2013 is on a distinguished road

Best Simulator for my me?

Hi Guys,

Ok back to the drawing board here, I'm having a new home built and wish to place a golf simulator/home theatre in the basemement, and as such would like to find out what option would be best for me. Knowing that is a very open ended question here is what I'm looking for (and I realize I may be dreaming):

(Prioritized from most important to least
    1. Accurate club and ball data
    - I'm a low handicap player so want for game improvement.
    2. HD home theatre abilities, with blue ray, X box etc.
    - to appease wife, lol..
    3. Lefty and righty play
    4. Realistic sim play with good graphics and top courses
    - for play with my buddies, while we're having a few pops.
    5. Spending less than $30,000 (some flexibility here)
    6. I don't want to have to mark clubs, or switch clubs on the computer.
    7. Want people to be able to play with their own clubs.
    8. Would like to be able to hit from different surfaces, say fairway, rough etc
    9. Want to be able to hit the ball from different areas, so not really interested in an IR unit
    9. Assembly required, I will need someone to set up the unit for me.

I think that is just about it, I've looked at the GC2 which I think is excellent, but doesn't allow for easy righty/lefty play, and I'm a bit concerned about the unit being hit, HD golf seems ok, but out of the price range I think, I'm wonder about Sport Coach (which I think is the same as Visual Golf?), but their graphics seem weak.

In any event I realize this is probably hoping the impossible dream, but I'd still really like to read what you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. and btw have an 18' wide by 20' deep area with a 10' ceiling.

p.s.s I have to make a decision shortly.
    Last edited by cklguy2013; 03-21-2013 at 11:56 AM.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Sorry but I don't think you can have all that even with a bigger budget. The closest would be aboutGolf and the one I've used had marked balls. The one on Golf Channel doesn't seem to need marked balls, though. Maybe newer.

Sand Wedge jwm is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by HRS View Post
    Sorry but I don't think you can have all that even with a bigger budget. The closest would be aboutGolf and the one I've used had marked balls. The one on Golf Channel doesn't seem to need marked balls, though. Maybe newer.
    I've used AG also and you need to be in a small area for it to recognize the ball. There is nothing to my knowledge that exists that satisfies all of OP's needs. Prioritize and compromise.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    "I've looked at the GC2 which I think is excellent, but doesn't allow for easy righty/lefty play"

This comment may be right if you use HMT but without it it is a quick move.

GC2 has a metal protective case as an add on.

GC2 is plug and play.

if you are a low handicapper you will know with the shot shape and feel what the club data approx was so HMT may be overkill.

Can I suggest you look at Swingbyte2 as an add on for club data- accuracy is still to be determined but fingers are crossed with the new targetline fix- I am a beta tester of the fix so we may know soon.

you would just need someone to set up room including computer, screen, projector, turf and mats. Playstation for the Movies is plug and play
    too. Overall if you are remotely capable you can do it yourself with a GC2.

http://www.par2pro.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=137 would be a prefab screen. Suggest you PM or email Cory

Hi guys thanks for the input, yes I realize that I will have to compromise on certain issues, so what I might do is prioritze my message above from most important to least important. A couple of question on the CG2, it is my understanding that even with the cradle a ball can still hit the lens.. is this correct? and CPA when you say a quick move from left to right are you talking seconds, if you had a few people over and some where right handed and others were left would it be practical to keep switching it back and forth for Sim play??

And HRS thanks for the suggestion on the About Golf unit, a very cool looking system for sure, but maybe outside my price range, that being said I can't seem to find any pricing on say the eagle unit..

Does anyone know if Visual Sports is North America's version of Sport Coach, and if so does anyone know if they are getting update graphics?

Thanks again for all the input, greatly appreciated..

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Moving the GC2 to the left side for a left handed player to use on the range is ok but moving it back and forth during sim play is not practical. Besides, you could cause problems to the game or the GC2. I would advise against doing this.

We have a thread on Visual Sports9 somewhere around here. It has nothing to do with Sports Coach the last time I checked. It doesn't measure or even estimate spin axis so you can't shape shots.

Lob Wedge doh is on a distinguished road
    I am in a similar situation. I think the Flightscope T-box is the best solution but apparently, there are bugs that they are still trying to sort out. There is a thread on here about it.

Hi Doh, yes agreed the X1 Tbox would be a good option if they ever get the darn thing to work, and I guess when working on your game you could combine with a swing byte to see what the club was doing.
    Last edited by cklguy2013; 03-21-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Visual Sports is not Sportscoach. Visual Sports use Red Chain and estimate spin from ball bounce of the screen. GC2 for left right will be trying for full game play. I suggest you call ABout golf to look a pricing. Everyone tries to guesse their price but you need to call them and give your budget and they will find an option that will fit your budget. Good luck an keep us posted. Would not recommend the Flightscope indoors.

When I get the time I will create a game with a leftie and switch unit every second shot to see. With Bluetooth on and power cable out it is seconds but we will see re system crashes.

Yes lens is fully protected.

Real solution is to disassociate with anyone who stands on the wrong side of the ball. (I played with a leftie tennis buddy the other day and to my surprise he plays golf right handed!)

I was obviously referring to moving the GC2 around with the USB cable connected. You shouldn't see system crashes if using Bluetooth but the moving back and forth and making sure it's as perpendicular to the target line every single time will be a pain. I have two lefties in the family. Also, be careful of static electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Visual Sports is not Sportscoach. Visual Sports use Red Chain and estimate spin from ball bounce of the screen.
    LOL!!! What a great idea.....hahahah

Zap!! lol.. I have an email into About golf, basically just listed out what I wrote above, so we shall see what them come up with.. Hopefully something that fits my budget.

On a seperate note it is astounding how fragmented the simulator market seems to be with all the various technologies. I wonder if someone will ever come up with the perfect unit at a reasonable price, probably around the same time we have world peace.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22
    The low end is not just the launch monitor (in fact they are not pushing that yet because they are still improving its accuracy) but also the ISU. They have 2 ceiling mounted 3 track technology models(ISU and AG studio) that are 12,500 and 14,000. With these you provide your own screen, computer, mat etc and all you get is the range. The 12,500 model is more geared to fitters/golfstores that want no courses. The 14,000 model will allow course additions at the price of $1000 per premium and $2500 per pack of 9. If one wants the screen, coputer and mat (semi-custom install) then it jumps to $22,000 or more.
    If I had more ceiling height and more money, I would get the ISU+a course pack or two.

Well that could work, I have 10' ceilings, which I assume is enough, and should be able to pull off with my budget..

http://www.CustomDesignGolf.com/port...me_better_.htm

Position track may be your answer, including different hitting surfaces. Just need 2 mats, lefties hit from different spot. GC2 room setup would be "ball" position is the gc2 position and whilst will not effect play/accuracy the ball will hit screen 1 foot from where it then continues onscreen.

Thanks CPA, that is pretty cool, so I assume one would be hitting the screen say 1' from the center of the screen on a straight shot? Does this work for sim play or would it throw things off?

Just thinking what you could do, because i'm a righty is you could have the righty mat set up on the centre of the screen and have the lefty off center, because for the most part I'd be the only one on the system, and I'm a righty. Also you could do the HMT as well just for myself when I was working on my game alone (don't mind marking my clubs for this) and remove the HMT and just use the GC2 for sim play with the boys, and with the position track the lefties wouldn't be left out so to speak...

We might have a plan...

Yes 1ft. You have enough room width to do 2 mats.

They have videos on the site I think. Yes it is a quick spin around in sim play. The GC2 recognizes ball in leftie spot and no computer touching required.

As can be seen elsewhere I love my truestrike gel mat. You could just get 2 gel sections or use customs mat setup.

Ah the wonders of double posting.....

You could also make lefties hit off a ripped and worn piece of old carpet.

The position track will work. Less painful than moving the unit but the lefties will be offset. You should actually call About golf. Nothing as strong as actually talking to an agent. Just got back from a day at Bay Hill. Always love watching these guys!

Were you able to get close to tiger?

Ckl, another thing to think about is the E6 II. Check out Corys video if you haven't seen it.

Will do CPA, and yes on the torn mat for lefties just for being a pain! And yes will call tomorrow Bubba, and very envious of you being at Bay Hill today.

One other thing on the position track, is i wonder if it is attached to the mat, if it is not only have to bring out when a lefty visits.

I have a position track. No it's not attached to mat. It simply swivels around.

I was spitting distance from Tiger. Followed him and Justin Rose and Ernie. Absolutely awesome gallery following him. Ck do call About golf. Get all the options before deciding. Z is right about the E62. GC2 may be the best bet but check About for sure.

brief email from the Canadian About golf rep, apparently at least 45k for what I'm looking for... I'm going to dig deeper I think.

Get on the horn and call them. You can customized your unit. Then get on the horn with the Foresight folks. I wouldn't disclude a ProTee setup as well.

Hey Bubba, any issues with the Cg2 getting hit, even when in the protective cradle?

I wouldn't be concerned with the GC2 getting hit and damaging it if you get a protective cradle.

Ok thanks

Bubba surely getting that close to Tiger some skill rubbed off?

Thread Information