CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Bouche

Getting Fitted....

Ok it is time for a serious makeover of the bag. I am looking more long term, something I can keep in the bag for at least 5 years. I have never been fitted for irons but a guy my shape should probably get fitted. I am 27, 6'5 and 300 pounds. My current bag holds standard clubs other then my driver which I have been fitted for.

How much does it cost to get fitted? Is golftown the best place to go?

Should I get fitted first then shop for clubs?

With two kids at home I am looking for the cheapest way possible to maximize this purchase.

Any knowledge from the golf nuts would be appreciated as I have only played with second hand clubs.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    It all depends what level of detail you want your fitting to be. If you want a fitting as simple as length of club and the lie angle then GolfTown will likely be the cheapest (free I believe) option. If you want to consider your purchase an investment you could go to a place like Kevin Haimes, get fit for not only dimensions but also for ball flight (shaft etc) and even try all the latest clubs, set up to your length to determine what feels best for you. This does mean purchasing the newest equipment and the entire set at once however. You will most likely not find too many 2nd hand sets built for someone 6'5".

Another option is getting a fitting done at a place like Artisan golf. Don could fit you very similar to what Kevin Haimes offers, but that will give you the ability to purchase club makers irons, and build out your set as you go. I did this with my wife a few years ago because I wasn't ready to invest in a full set of clubs all at once. Don got her specs she needed through a fitting, and recommended she buy a 7 iron, 9 iron and a PW at the time. The following year, she had Don build out a LW that matched her current clubs & specs. She also got a 5 hybrid done separately, and is about to go get a 5i.

Don, or a number of other places could also take a used set of clubs and add extensions to them and adjust the lie to your measurements. This will likely cost a bit less than buying new irons outright if you can find a used set at a good price.

Whichever way you decide, someone that is 6'5" like you will see a huge positive impact on your swing when you use a club that is the proper length. I'm 6'2" and my clubs are 1" longer, so I suspect yours will likely be even more.

Bouche
    Thank so much for this. Got me really excited. So I do want the full out fitting session. I would love to adjust my ball flight as you can probably guess that was my biggest challenge using standard clubs. I had no flight control.

I might give Don a call seeing as he has such a good rep on the site. Not sure if I would buy his custom clubs but I could use the fitting from someone like him.

How much does he charge for his irons?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    get tested on a launch monitor. The results can be pretty eye opening. Then again, the way you hit a ball, they might not be able to register it ;-). Haven't been to Don but have heard great things about him as a club builder.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Bouche
    Ok so what are my options for getting tested on a Launch Monitor?

Kevin Haimes? Golf town?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think Don has one. Dubinski and Foley have one. I went to RideauView last year but theirs won't open til the snow clears probably. Haimes has one as well. But I'd probably go to someone like Don who can do a proper fitting based on the results
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Bouche
    ok. I am going to give him a call on lunch! Thanks

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    I went to Don yesterday and he was great. He has the trackman monitor which is the best in the business. A full fitting (woods, irons and putter) is $180 but I believe he takes some, if not all of the price off clubs if you decide to buy from him. He also does just woods, irons and/or putter fittings alone as well for less. He deals with KZG and Miura (very expensive) clubs so they are strictly component pieces. He gave me a lot of useful information and tips and does not push any purchases on the spot. He has a ton of different heads and shafts that he will have you try out to get the best option for you. He will give you prices for buying completely new clubs or if you strictly want work done on existing clubs you have. I really enjoyed the fitting and he's a straight shooter. I emailed him and he got back to me right away. Check out his website (Artisan golf, google it.

Also, downhillslider on this forum is another fitter who is also recommended by a lot of guys in here. So you can always PM him and see what his fittings would cost and if there is any info he can give you.

These are the two guys that I always see mentioned in this type of post so they must be good at what they do
    Last edited by Leftymoose; 03-16-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    I like to call it a power fade

Putter Macdted is on a distinguished road
    I have been to Don's for a driver and he really knows his stuff and has the latest equipment.
    I also like Les McBride at http://www.maxxfitgolf.com/
    Not quite as high tech as Don but I have purchased several clubs from him that work for me. I believe he is less expensive and carries a wide range of heads and shafts.

Thread Information