100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Jimmy3864 is on a distinguished road

R1 Fitting Question

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the following. Haven't swung a club in 3 months but have been following this forum in great interest with thoughts up upgrading my existing driver. Tonight I went to a local golf store which has a Flightscope LM. I starting by hitting about 15 drives with my existing R11 9° with regular Matrix 5.0 (TM TP) shaft. Wasn't hitting bad but typical for such a long layoff. Anyway, I am not a long hitter but hit a high % of fairways. I then proceeded to hit the R11 with the regular stock phenom shaft. Long story, I was getting at best about 20 yards longer carry distance with the R1 but my club head speed with the R1 was always on average 10 mph slower than my R11. I went back and forth multiple times and it was consistent...I was getting more carry distance with the R1 but at a much lower club head speed. My uneducated guess is the reduced club head speed is attributable to the shaft?

I would appreciate your thoughts, ideas, etc on what to do. I was ready to pull the trigger on the R1 but now having significant doubts unless I have to spend more cash on an upgraded shaft to match my swing. Appreciate your input....luv the forum and catch up every night.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I would head to Modern Golf in Toronto and pay for a fitting. Great reviews over on TGN. The only thing I could think is that the R1 is lower spin, therefore with less club head speed and less ball spin would = more distance. Someone here will probably be able to input more but will probably need more #s like ball speed, smash factor etc
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Thread Information