CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scotland

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Scotland

I've been unusually absent from the forum. My current contract is quite demanding on my time and my evenings and weekends seem to go by all to quickly.

That being said, I want to give a quick trip report on my October Scotland trip. We flew out of Toronto, and our course selection was as follows:We played nine straight days in Scotland, getting rained out at Carnoustie (when we got to the course, it was closed as it was flooded out). We drove back to St. Andrews where we were staying and our B&B host arranged for us to get out on the Eden Course which was very nice.

In planning the trip we tied twice in the advance reservations for the Old Course, both which were denied. We also had two days for ballots, also denied. It appears that going the week after the Dunhill Cup is played is not the best of timing. A reason to go back though (and to play Carnoustie).

It was a fantastic trip. The heather, gorse and fescue made errant shots an adventure (you don't even bother looking for a ball in the gorse) The first half of the trip was in the West, just south of Glasgow where we flew into, and we stayed in a B&B in Ayr. The second half, we stayed in a B&B right in St. Andrews, a two minute walk to the Old Course. Both accommodations were fantastic. Driving the big Mercedes van on the wrong side of the road was quite an adventure to start, however I got used to it.

My ranking of the courses we played there:
    1. Kingsbarns - Fantastic track right on the ocean, course was in fantastic shape right after the Dunhill Links with amazing greens. The weather was perfect!
    2. Turnberry Ailsa - Another course set on the ocean with fantastic views and amazing conditions. Again, great weather (we were in shorts).
    3. Prestwick - There was just something about this course, maybe the history, that I really liked the course. I didn't play very well, yet still thoroughly enjoyed it.
    4. Royal Troon - Another course right on the water. Very early morning round, felt very privileged to play there.
    5. The New Course - Best round of the trip for me, (even having to hit a ball back from the Old Course on an errant shot), the course was in great shape, and with it running beside the Old Course, you could swap them with the exception of a few famous holes
    6. Muirfield - This is only above Irvine Club because of the history. There is only one Locker room, and we wore jacket and tie in the dining room. The lockers were old and had the names of Generals and Judges on them. However it is a great championship course, but not so much for amateurs. The fescue was ridiculously difficult, and I was never able to get a good groove going
    7. The Irvine Club - Fantastic track for a mid-tier. The staff was accommodating and the membership happy to see us there. We played form the whites (about 6200 yards) however with only 2 par 5s, there were several Par 4s well over 400 yards. I lost about 8 golf balls in the heather and gorse, and was worried with this being our opening round. It did get better
    8. The Eden Course - Not every course can be near the top, and there was nothing wrong with the Eden course. We had to play an alternate hole due to a little flooding from the overnight rain, however for 25 pounds, it was a great round. This course also runs beside the Old Course, so we got a chance to have a good look at it.
    9. Kilmarnock - This course was OK. A few good holes. The staff was very good, however the membership was very snooty, especially compared with the Irvine Club which is a similar type course. There was a group of members that were upset that we were going out in front of them. We played the round in just over 3.5 hours for our foursome, and they were at least two holes behind. We went back to the Irvine Club for lunch.
    I'm going to post some pictures from the courses as replies to this, so hopefully you enjoy them.
    IMG_0234.jpg
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Irvine Club

Some pictures from the Irvine Club.
    Attached Images
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Turnberry Ailsa

Some pictures form the Turnberry Ailsa course
    Attached Images
    Colby

Kilmarnock

Some pictures from Kilmarnock Barrasie
    Attached Images
    Colby

Prestwick

Pictures from Prestwick
    Attached Images
    Colby

Royal Troon

Pictures from Royal Troon
    Attached Images
    Colby

Kingsbarns

Pictures from Kingsbarns
    Attached Images
    Colby

Carnoustie

Even though we never got to play, we took a couple of shots of the soaked course with a phone camera...

I also threw in a picture of coming back from Carnoustie where I had to drive the van through this underpass.
    Attached Images
    Colby

Muirfield

Pictures from Muirfield
    Attached Images
    Colby

The Eden Course at St. Andrews

Pictures from the Eden Course at St. Andrews
    Attached Images
    Colby

The New Course at St. Andrews

Pictures from the New Course at St. Andrews
    Attached Images
    Colby

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sooooo jealous.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Nice pics , sounded like a great trip
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Great pics Dave - the one on the Swilken bridge brings back some memories.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    Colby you've just made me feel so homesick now

Thread Information