100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Play through pain?

In light of recent events on the PGA tour, whats the most pain you've played through in a round of golf?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Worst pain for me was prob shoulder/back pain before Belleville Ryder cup a few years ago, I drugged myself up with Tylenol and codein and played all my matches. Cant remember who I played or who won, but I played!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I've never played through pain because there's never a reason to unless you're competing really..I don't take the game so seriously that I won't skip a round if I am sore for some reason.

But on that note...I did have a sore back one morning when I was a member at Rivermead back in the day. A fellow member gave me some Robaxecet to take. My back felt great and we played...Well by the second hole, I would look down and see three of my ball instead of one...It was an interesting 9 holes. HAHA!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    played with cracked ribs about 7 years ago. It was my buddies stag and I didn't want to miss it. Luckily copious amounts of alcohol made it bareable. I knew exactly where on my downswing I was going to feel the pain, like a knife being stuck in my ribs - not that I have had a knife stuck in my ribs.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    played a scramble a couple of years back while going thru a nasty case of gout

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I've played with a pinched nerve in my neck. Not a good idea.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Constant chronic pain. I love golf.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Played through a sprained tendon in my spine last year for about 6 weeks of the season , it was brutal for the most part
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar
    While on a golfing trip to Charlotte NC, I stepped into a sprinkler valve hole that was covered with grass; ruptured the bakers cyst in my knee that had been bothering me for a couple of years. Of course I did not know what happened, it felt like a bubble wrap bubble had popped, it hurt like a mother (shut you mouth!).
    A marshal got a cart for me, I skipped a couple of holes and then started to play again. Man that hurt! With ice, naproxin, a cart and beer I played the next 4 days.
    I had met up with a fellow that I had been messaging on the GEA forum; he was super nice, drove me all over the area, great company and knew all the good courses. When it happened I guess I went a little pale, and he was getting panicky, maybe he didn't like the idea of dragging me all over the course. It took some convincing him to let me finish. When I got home I saw my knee doctor and he gave me a cortisone shot and I was better in a 2 or 3 weeks. Had that knee removed a year and a half ago, should have done it years ago.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    By the way does golfing with reza count as pain?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hard to top this:

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/bl...-pre-qualifier

LPGA golfer gets bit on 4th hole by black widow spider, does some self surgery with a tee, finishes the round.

Golf Pigette of the Year 09, 10, 11 IRON MAIDEN is on a distinguished road IRON MAIDEN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    In light of recent events on the PGA tour, whats the most pain you've played through in a round of golf?
    A year and a half ago, on Wednesday Oct 19th, I ripped by MCL, completely tore my ACL and tore my anterior meniscus in 2 directions . After an embarassing ambulance ride to the Queensway Carleton, I came home from emerg, stayed in bed for 2 days, got up at 7am Saturday morning and drove to Smugglers for a 2 day golf trip that I refused to miss. It was wrapped and in a brace and with the aid of a little blue flag on top of the golf cart that allowed me to drive right up to the green, I was able to get around the course for 2 rounds. Nothing was going to keep me away from the course!
    It's a matter of golf or death

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
    A year and a half ago, on Wednesday Oct 19th, I ripped by MCL, completely tore my ACL and tore my anterior meniscus in 2 directions . After an embarassing ambulance ride to the Queensway Carleton, I came home from emerg, stayed in bed for 2 days, got up at 7am Saturday morning and drove to Smugglers for a 2 day golf trip that I refused to miss. It was wrapped and in a brace and with the aid of a little blue flag on top of the golf cart that allowed me to drive right up to the green, I was able to get around the course for 2 rounds. Nothing was going to keep me away from the course!
    And I think we have a winner. Seriously, that is amazing. My wife always tells me to suck it up and go play even when in pain.
    Her reasoning is: Its gonna hurt just the same if you stay here.

Quote Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
    Good to hear from you Lisa. That is an amazing pain threshold! I will remember this before I complain about anything on the golf course.

Golf Pigette of the Year 09, 10, 11 IRON MAIDEN is on a distinguished road IRON MAIDEN's Avatar
    Good to hear from you Lisa. That is an amazing pain threshold! I will remember this before I complain about anything on the golf course.
    LOL, PizzaMan just called me stupid. It certainly was an interesting fall season. I got 9 rounds in after that. Fall is my favorite time of year to golf and I was not going to give it up. As the doctors said, I couldn't make it any worse!

See you out there soon ! I'm counting on 22 days....that's my guess
    It's a matter of golf or death

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Easy there Donny.

I play with pain all the time. Constant back pain due to herniated disks.

The worst was one roundf where I had to brace myself mentally before taking every swing.
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    By the way does golfing with reza count as pain?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I was +8 on the first 4 holes.... oh wait, you don't mean that kind of pain

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    I burned the tip of my middle finger at work and went to play the same afternoon. Hurt like hell and had to modify my grip completely. All in all a terrible decision to go out and play...played like crap lol

Gap Wedge Magician is on a distinguished road
    I usually play with a headache, usually takes 5-6 holes for it to start though
    I make golf balls disappear.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Every year I play a 3 sport tournament... 2 Baseball games, 2 hockey games and 1 round of 2 man scramble match play on the Sunday. Usually by the Sunday most of the players are pretty banged up. We play in the Open Category so the Hockey Games are pretty intense, usually a few Current and Past NHL'rs, OHL'rs and other High End junior players. Always a good time tho!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Lisa, he called you stupid?? That must have been a long night on the hotel couch!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Ooohh, I did the same thing as Jeff, played with cracked ribs except I had fallen on my back at home, the pain was unbearable at impact but seemed trivial when compared to the lovely flight of my golf ball toward the green, ok, maybe the medication made me hallucinate but I am sure there was a green around there!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

The most pain I have ever seen anyone in is my old golfing buddy the "Coach". He has 2 artificial knees, 2 fused vertebrae in his back, 2 new hips. He would refuse to take a power cart and he would hobble like a penguin around the course like weeble hunching and breathing a few times each hole to get over the pain. He always had a smile on his face and would crack jokes all the way enjoying every minute, I never ever heard him complain about the pain he was in, remarkable really. I have arthritic hands and we were playing on a very misty day, my hands were swollen and very sore, I could barely hold the club. I looked over at him and was about to "whine" about it when I saw the long zipper scar going up his leg and decided that my hands really did not hurt that much.
    Lefty Lucas

Sand Wedge hoganblades is on a distinguished road hoganblades's Avatar
    Recovering from an infection that affected my cervical spine (entamoeba histolytica; I was in the great minority of people who had nervous system problems because of it; took a long time and many docs to diagnose, and much antibiotics and physical therapy). I saw stars bending down to get my ball from the cup, and dizzy as can be. I had migraines and dizziness every day for around two and a half years. I was determined to get back to golfing as part of my recovery, come hell or high water. Played like crap, but was determined to get better, and to play golf. The real drag about my golf game was that I had finally gotten my HC into the high-mid single digits, and was starting to shoot in the 70's and control the ball well. Game went to hell for about 3.5 years. Went from a 76 to a 96 on the same course within a week after getting sick. My game quickly degenerated into 105's. Then I couldn't play. Finally, the last two seasons I have my HC back to the high-mid single digits, and this year I finally feel like good ball control is coming back.

I think Rory should have finished with a score in the 80's. I wonder, though, if the PGA has a rule about shooting scores in the 80's like the LPGA did when Michelle Wie dropped out of a tournament because of her wrist injury. If so, then I would have dropped out, too, in order to regroup and find my game.

Thread Information