100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar

About Golf Vs GC2

Very interesting night. So while the little one was at soccer I decided to go to GolfTown to check out the sim and the new R1. GolfTown for those who don't know are a major Golf retail in Canada. Right now GolfTown are using the About Golf 3 Track system but will be switching to the GC2 very soon. When I got there I realized that they had a Ping fitting and the guy had a GC2 setup with the About golf 3 track system http://www.golftown.com/Events.aspx?...ection=fitting . Couldn't get a better comparison. The guy had his GC2 connected via bluetooth to the Ipad using the Ping clubfitting module while the About golf was setup business as usual. I spent 2+ hours basically picking this guys brains who has spent 100 of hours fitting both at Ping and at Golf Town. He knew I had some interest and knowledge with sims so was interested to chat. It was interesting to see the differences in numbers between the 2 systems. Both he and I agreed that on average 50% time the numbers were very, very close, 25% time they were off a bit and 25% time they were not close at all. That is what he felt drom previous experience as well.He felt that the GC2 was more accurate but at times tended to under call the spin. It also missed a few shots and had some numbers that were wierd. Ping use both Trackman and GC2 and as he said they use Trackman outdoors but GC2 indoors. At the end of the day as usual there is no perfect system. The GC2 is awesome as usual and I am NOT getting the R1!!!

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    did you go with a Ping??

Nope. Sticking with my R11S!!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Interesting info bubba22. I've seen some side spin number out of my GC2 sometimes that make absolutely no sense. If I had the 3Track at home to test, I might say the same thing about it. Who knows...

Hard to say. GC2 looked nice. About looked nice. Who knows!! The spin numbers were consistently lower for the GC2.

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    how were the balls marked for the aboutgolf? I know on the one I've been playing on it makes a big difference. they've marked the balls with sharpies and it fades over time. The clearly marked balls seem to work much better - spin seems more accurate. With the faded ones the spin rates seem lower and overall it seems more forgiving. Also, I've noticed that location in the hitting area make a difference. If you start to get a bit too far forward you'll start to get some shots that make you scratch your head. This is especially true for putting.

This is with the ISR unit and not the 3Track but they are similar from what I understand.

mm Goftown use the official Callaway balls that are specially marked for the About Golf sims. Good point but the ball was absolutely not the issue. I agree that the unmarked balls for the About golf supposedly don't register as well. This was not the issue. Not knocking the About golf just stating there is nothing perfect. Remember About golf is a $50K system an is the choice of the Golf Channel! The hitting location was right of the tee using drivers on the recommended hit location.

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, I've heard a rumor that the aboutgolf system prices are going to drop. don't know by how much though. I really thing the days of the 50K sims are about over. there are too many alternative at a very reasonable price. these big ticket sim companies are going to have to follow suite or die.

The GC2 has one HUGE advantage over any sim out there and that is you can take it outside and compare the ball flights with the real world. I haven't actually seem any body do this which boggles my mind. Looking at launch numbers is one thing, but actually compare ball flight on GSA. C'mon you can take a laptop with ya!

Well your right mm but that's why Trackman and Flightscope are trying to do the opposite, move from Outdoors to indoors. That is the excitement of the LX if it ever launched. New technology will follow the GC2 for sure.

I will be taking mine outdoors and do these tests once the weather warms up.

Z are there any heated, covered ranges in the area?

Not that I know of or nothing that is close to me. There is a dome but I don't think that would be good enough.

Dome may not be bad if it is long enough. Worth a try!

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    What was the negative about the R1 Bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    What was the negative about the R1 Bubba.
    " - $549 plus taxes"

No seriously I brought my R11 S along and no better with the R1 in feel, control or distance. I only buy in the middle of golf season when out on the range and seeing the ball flight. No rush to change clubs.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mmlincon View Post
    Yeah, I've heard a rumor that the aboutgolf system prices are going to drop. don't know by how much though. I really thing the days of the 50K sims are about over. there are too many alternative at a very reasonable price. these big ticket sim companies are going to have to follow suite or die.

The GC2 has one HUGE advantage over any sim out there and that is you can take it outside and compare the ball flights with the real world. I haven't actually seem any body do this which boggles my mind. Looking at launch numbers is one thing, but actually compare ball flight on GSA. C'mon you can take a laptop with ya!
    I wrote a post about this before. It matches real life fairly well.

I do recall that HRS. Many others, including yourself have verified the accuracy of the GC2 outdoors so I certainly doin't doubt it.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    Indeed, I used mine outdoors this summer before my building was ready for my inside setup. Plan to take it with me to use with my teaching pro this spring. Portability wasn't really the first thing I was looking for, but now that I have it, it would be sorely missed - lol

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road
    What's the street price of a GC2? How about used? Same for the sim software. Used one at Golfsmith and thought it was great. Way out my budget but just curious that's all.

I can't say there IS an average "street price" for used GC2s, since they aren't often on the market but I was able to purchase one from a commercial sim center that went out of business for $6000 w/case, software + 5 courses, warranty/registration transfer, projector & PC. I consider myself very fortunate!

Pitching Wedge espresso is on a distinguished road
    Very good deal you got there wbealsd. I just love the simplicity of the GC2 and the ability it has to provide all those measurements indoor or outdoor. Way beyond my Optishot setup budget but I was just curious since it's a popular choice here.

I agree espresso, I was VERY fortunate in that deal! Keep hanging around here and keep reading the threads, if it weren't for this site and the people that participate on it, I would never have been able to get a deal like that! Get setup with your Optishot, enjoy it and stay around!

Thread Information