CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hautes Plaines

Lob Wedge Gabber17 is on a distinguished road Gabber17's Avatar

Thumbs up Hautes Plaines

Hi,

I'm 26 and thinking of joining Hautes Plaines as a ClubLink member, was wondering what the average age of players is out there (men's night), will I find a good group of guys around my age? Also, I was told that there was no driving range but people are drving out to Greyhawk to use their practise facilities, do you have to pay everytime you want to hit some balls?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,
    Gabriel

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I'm not a member at Hautes Plaines, but I joined Eagle Creek last year and played with a few members from Hautes Plaines. They all drive to Eagle Creek to play over their own course and they live in Gatineau. I don't know if that says something about the course or if they feel Eagle Creek is that good.

I have heard some people go to Greyhawk to practice. You don't have to pay for the use of the range at any Clublink facility.

If Hautes Plaines is close for you, it's a good choice if you want to be a Clublink member. You can play higher category courses at no charge.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Gabriel:

As for your original question, it's hard to say. For sure at 26 you will be amongst the yougest, but its a good bunch. The ambiance changed a bit last year since we lost our main Men's Night MC who did all the announcements etc, who was quite funny. It's still very well attended and lots of fun. One thing though (it may or may not affect you), it that it is 90% francophone at men's night and the course as a whole is probably 80% french speaking (french first that is, most people speak english).

No you don't have to pay to use the range at other courses. HP may not have a range but we do have the best practice hole around, in the old number 8. You can hit anything from about 185yds and in to a real green from a real fairway - no mats. It's great for practicing your short game. Yes you have to bring your own balls (and pick them up) but it beats driving to GH to use their crappy range - no grass half the time...

Thanks to both of you! This information was very useful.

My native tongue is French, so this isn't a problem at all and I'm glad there's some sort of practise area we can use. This is the first of it that I hear, quite comforting!

Look forward to seeing you on the course,
    Gabriel

To clarify, you would probably be among the youngest at ANY Clublink Men's night...

Enjoy.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    A good friend of mine is still a member there and he puts it best. HP lowers your cap over time because you are forced to become a better golfer the more you play there. You need to learn how to use all the clubs in your bag and play within your game. Any hero thoughts will more than likely go wrong. If you want a challenge and want an in to clublink, HP is awesome. I would strongly recommend not playing it if you are 15+ HCer though. I have seen buddies that are normally sane go nuts there.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I'm a pretty low handicap, I hope this won't affect it. Kidding. Love a good challenging course, one doesn't get bored so easily!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabber17 View Post
    I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I'm a pretty low handicap, I hope this won't affect it. Kidding. Love a good challenging course, one doesn't get bored so easily!
    The "problem" with HP is, as jimmyc said, the "hero" complex. Try to bite off more than you can chew and you get hurt. Bad. Missing by more than a couple yards one way or another and you are dead.

HP is challenging and is a shot-makers course, as opposed to GH which is a bombers course. Over my 7 years there, most "newbies" to the course will add a couple strokes to their HC until they figure out how to play the course.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    take a cart
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    take a cart
    wimp ;-)

7 Iron Bryger is on a distinguished road
    Hey there...27 year old here, just signed up at HP along with a few 25 year old friends. You won't be the youngest. All anglophones who don't speak any French though (other than me). With regards to practicing, plan is to head over to one of the other courses (Kanata/GH) when I want to work on full shots and practice at HP when working on short game (which is most of the time). Played a prospect round last year and although I have a high cap (20ish), I enjoyed the course and the challenge. Definitely agree with the others that it should make me a better golfer, if not more humble.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryger View Post
    Hey there...27 year old here, just signed up at HP along with a few 25 year old friends. You won't be the youngest. All anglophones who don't speak any French though (other than me). With regards to practicing, plan is to head over to one of the other courses (Kanata/GH) when I want to work on full shots and practice at HP when working on short game (which is most of the time). Played a prospect round last year and although I have a high cap (20ish), I enjoyed the course and the challenge. Definitely agree with the others that it should make me a better golfer, if not more humble.
    You will enjoy the challenge at HP. Every shot counts. Great place to sharpen your iron game. Always been in my top 3 favorite courses in the Ottawa-Gatineau area. Wish I could still afford to play there.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    RE: HP members in Gatineau driving KL/EC - I'm a member at HP (27yo), and almost every weekend I drove from Kanata to HP to play instead of staying in the area. I like the course, and the members. I definitely prefer HP over KL, possibly because I'm a shorter hitter, but also because HP is more about accuracy to me and KL is bland. EC is a really nice course, but I always find it so slow there, while the rounds at HP are usually much faster.

But yes, not speaking any french, it sucks staying afterwards on men's night only to hear french being spoken by the announcer the entire time and not knowing what everyone is laughing about

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    RE: HP members in Gatineau driving KL/EC - I'm a member at HP (27yo), and almost every weekend I drove from Kanata to HP to play instead of staying in the area. I like the course, and the members. I definitely prefer HP over KL, possibly because I'm a shorter hitter, but also because HP is more about accuracy to me and KL is bland. EC is a really nice course, but I always find it so slow there, while the rounds at HP are usually much faster.

But yes, not speaking any french, it sucks staying afterwards on men's night only to hear french being spoken by the announcer the entire time and not knowing what everyone is laughing about

They are laughing at you Denis!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post

my god your getting old Denis!

I would submit a formal complaint if the announcer is only speaking French. This club is supposed to be bilingual and it is unfair to those members who may not speak French, when Men's Night is only held in one language.

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I would submit a formal complaint if the announcer is only speaking French. This club is supposed to be bilingual and it is unfair to those members who may not speak French, when Men's Night is only held in one language.
    Really???? 98% of the crowd is somewhat bilingual and their supposed to cater to 6 people, please....
    Dont be one of those guys play golf and dont worry about club politics, its not worth your time, and like I said we dont need another GarthM at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Really???? 98% of the crowd is somewhat bilingual and their supposed to cater to 6 people, please....
    Are you serious? HAHA! So what you're telling me is that you know for sure that 6 people that play men's night do not speak French? Confirmed? It doesn't matter if there is one person who doesn't speak the language. Do airlines only give their safety briefings in English because 98% of the flight flying from Toronto for example is English?

I used to be a member at Rivermead where A LOT of people were French. They always had functions in both OFFICIAL languages. It's not as though taking an extra five minutes to speak in English after speaking in French is going to kill the public speaker. I've also been to golf courses in and around Quebec City that had probably 98% French speaking members for functions. Both languages were used there as well...

Your comment about catering to the minority is just as ignorant as the Quebec Government fining establishments for having English on their signage..

Let's not turn this thread in to an official languages debate. Start a new one if you'd like to debate on the topic. If you're a member and would like to make a suggestion, I'm sure the GM would love to hear it.

Thank you...

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I would submit a formal complaint if the announcer is only speaking French.
    It's not French it's Joual. Demand they speak in Parisian French!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Are you serious? HAHA! So what you're telling me is that you know for sure that 6 people that play men's night do not speak French? Confirmed? It doesn't matter if there is one person who doesn't speak the language. Do airlines only give their safety briefings in English because 98% of the flight flying from Toronto for example is English?

I used to be a member at Rivermead where A LOT of people were French. They always had functions in both OFFICIAL languages. It's not as though taking an extra five minutes to speak in English after speaking in French is going to kill the public speaker. I've also been to golf courses in and around Quebec City that had probably 98% French speaking members for functions. Both languages were used there as well...

Your comment about catering to the minority is just as ignorant as the Quebec Government fining establishments for having English on their signage..

You know the reason so why even ask, and I agree its silly but thats Quebec for you, there's nothing me or you will ever be able to do to change that. Anything thats important they usually make a point of saying in English, but to ask them to translate everything we would be there till 1am and were already there till 10pm some nights. Believe me if you want to be known as that guy, go right ahead Sir, but you wont have much support from other members. I've been there 5yrs and I can say that at least 90% of the membership is bilingual, and member to member for the most part it doesnt matter everyone interacts with everyone.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Hey put me down as your referral and I will give you 100 bucks cash!!! PM me if anyone is interested.

2 Iron cleve is on a distinguished road
    If anyone else wants referal as well I have two people that will give $100 cash. Pm if some one is interested. Good idea GoingLow

Not to be one to jump into a language debate...but from the outset HP (the old Dome) was always a very francophone club. When I first joined 7 years ago, it was probably over 90% francophone and today is probably still around 80%+. Old habits die hard I suppose and they continue in French at men's night, with the exception of any official announcements which are repeated in english.
    All official club events happen in both english and french.

FWIW, I'm willing to bet that over 30% of Greyhawk members are probably identify as francophone, but I bet that all their club events happen in english only.

What about the Montreal CL courses? Do you really think that they do things in both english and french, highly doubt it. And as for using both "OFFICIAL" languages, the Government of Canada has 2 official languages, Clublink does not. Or maybe they do: "Dollars and Cents".

By the way, if you want to see what happens to the minority (and not just at clublink), try posting something here in French...it will likely be removed by a moderator, or you will be asked to re-post it in English. Just sayin' not everyone feels it necessary to cater to all language groups.

And Txxxxxx, next time you go to your home course, try getting served in French. Good "frenching" luck.

Damn, I guess I just got into a language debate...oh well habsfan will be happy!

$100...that's all a cottage in the Muskokas with golf for you and three friends (who don't have to be members) is worth to you? Or a couple nights in Florida with the same arrangement? A cart for the season when one day is about 20?

Gabriel, ask for more. Maybe they could be your caddy for the first 6 rounds. Carry your bag, give you snacks, make sure you're hydrated.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    I hate the language debate, from both sides. I too was afraid that HP would alienate me as an anglophone. If you are not petty and can get over the initial interaction being presented in French, I was always responded too politely in English when they understood I was English. Except this rather attractive waitress who asked if spoke French as she was not comfortable in English. I am not bilingual but did my best to accommodate her. id like to think I would have done the same for a dude but I'd be lying to myself

Is there a range anywhere within 10-15 minutes of HP by the way? I have to play a buddy on his turf this year and want to hit a few before the match. If there isn't can one of you open one this year?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    would there not be a clublink policy on this type of thing?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar
    Hey Bryger, you even a CL member ? Have a better offer ? ? Then step up!!! Most new CL members don't realize its a benefit to refer someone. I signed up two guys last year and was told I would be taken care of this year. The gentleman who made that promise is no longer with CL. So now I say 200 bones for anyones referral, and I will let you golf with me and I will give advice all round and a few beers!!! ( The real prize here )

@GoingLow Yes, joined this year. I'm aware of the offers and have myself taken advantage of it by having been referred by someone and also referring a friend. I do appreciate the offer though and I'm sure your advice would be very valuable...especially with those pesky blind tee shots that'll take me a while to get used to. See you around the course...

Gabber17, on the other hand, was worried about joining because of the average age. He now can see that there will be at least a half dozen 25-27 year olds (just counting the ones mentioned in this thread) and he can also now make 200 bucks. I think he's got his answer.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    I hate the language debate, from both sides. I too was afraid that HP would alienate me as an anglophone. If you are not petty and can get over the initial interaction being presented in French, I was always responded too politely in English when they understood I was English. Except this rather attractive waitress who asked if spoke French as she was not comfortable in English. I am not bilingual but did my best to accommodate her. id like to think I would have done the same for a dude but I'd be lying to myself

Is there a range anywhere within 10-15 minutes of HP by the way? I have to play a buddy on his turf this year and want to hit a few before the match. If there isn't can one of you open one this year?
    There is a range going towards Gatineau off highway 50 Draveur bridge on St-Louis. You can see it as your going by. Its not the best and the balls last year where fair at best but its a range. The other one is up near my place in Cantey. Its called Golf des Érables. Its o.k with descent balls but again its not the best. If you are hitting on the ground, its really hard clay and no fun. Either of these will put you 15-20 minutes away from HP. It takes me 10 minutes from my place in Limbour to get to HP so its about another 5 minutes at the most from my place.
    Hope this helps out.

Thread Information