+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Pitching Wedge MooseKnuckle is on a distinguished road

Cool Ongoing Course Conditions...

I would like to start a thread that documents people who have been out to courses this early golf seaon as they begin to open up and keep everyone up to date on their conditions. I think it would be helpful information to know which courses are open that are really ready to be open. There is nothing worse than playing a round on a course that needs another good couple of weeks before you can get a normal lie.

Has anyone been to Calabogie yet this season?

I know it sais on the calendar (most helpful) that it only opens today, but it would be nice over the next couple of days to see some feedback on its conditions.

I would love to play this course again, it's great (especially 15), but if it is in rough shape, I may wait to go later in the season.

Thanks!
    Playing golf is very similar to life.

You gotta have lots of spare balls in your bag to make the perfect score, cause over time, your going to lose some of them...:shot

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Hehehe..
    I don't expect too much too soon in the way of good conditions, but I was talking to Andre Lacasse at Eagle Creek today and he was delighted to report that the greens weathered the winter in the best shape he has ever seen with virtually no winterkill!

I can only hope that more courses have such a posative result from the mild winter. Last year there were a few that took a bit of a beating.

Cool

It would be cool if this would be a thread that documents the courses as they open up.

I have been to courses in the past that have boasted about their early season conditions, only to show up, and find the course at least week or two too early to open for their area. We are not Eskimos, and do not enjoy chipping out of a snowbank.

Ah well, bad golf is better than no golf!

I also dislike the temporary boxes & greens. I played a course 2 years ago in the middle of the summer (not going to mention any names), and one of its par threes had both a temp. box & temp. green. I think the hole totaled 50 yards that day. However, this was the only hole under construction, and the rest of the course was like Augusta.

I will likely be playing Calabogie this weekend, and that course never seems to dissapoint. I will post on its conditions later on.

Thanks.

You gotta have lots of spare balls in your bag to make the perfect score, cause over time, your going to lose some of them...:shot

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking course conditions.....

MooseKnuckle .......... Going to Calabogie tomorow.....will let you know what it's like although I for one never get too enthused about the conditions in the spring as much as I get excited about playing!!! Been way to long not to have played on a course

We are just happy to be playing outside again.

You are right about one thing....a bad day at the course is much better than a good day at the office!!

Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar

Angry Cedar Glenn

I played Cedar Glenn (Williamsburg) April 6th. Although they post that they are open, they are only allowing you to play the back 9 holes. They charged me $22.00 for 9 holes. I could have played the same nine again but I would have had to wait 2 hrs as there was a line up to tee off! However, the course was in good condition and the greens wintered very well.

Well, since they were the only course in the region that was open at all, it's not suprising. We had an identical experience at Rideau Glen last year. We waited and made it fun, it was the first golf of the year and nothing could spoil it

I had no idea Nation was openning this weekend.

I phoned the clubhouse yesterday to ask how the course is looking. They said it was in great shape exept for 2 fairways that still had a snow patch or two. Ah well, today's sunshine will take care of that, and Friday is supposed to be 17 degrees! Awsome.

For anyone who has never played Nation, take the drive out to the sticks, it won't dissapoint. It is probably my favorite course around.

I'll be there Saturday.

Pitching Wedge Izzy is on a distinguished road

Report on Calabogie

Well, Dan, Steve and I were out at Calabogie today. AHHH GOLFING....The course was in fair shape, it was wet is some spots but the majority was dry. the greens are really yellowish but playable. I have played a number of times in April over the years and the course was in above average shape for just opening. Remember its April and don't expect summer conditions, but I have played courses in worse shape during the summer months.

The weather was good, the company fine, and I was swinging a golf club... boy was it nice....

BTW - Dan took some $$ from Steve...

Thumbs up hahaha

Ha Ha Ha.........good thing it was only small change!
    By the end of summer I'm sure it wil be in my gut...the beer that is........when these guys start betting for beer it will be different story. We'll see what happens sunday at Pakenham....

Course was in good condition for this time of year and was VERY acceptable for the $25 green fee.

So with that in mind......3 lost balls + 4 three-putts + 3 new clubs in the bag + 2 good freinds + good golf weather = ONE GREAT DAY

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by NoBack; 04-11-2002 at 07:44 PM.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Well I did take $1.00 of Steve's hard earned cash.
    BUT he is a much better player than I am. I have never come close in a straight up competition.

Thanks to all the guys (and Penny) at the OAC, my slice is gone and I hit lots of fairways today! Putting was very poor though. The greens were good for this time of year, slow, and furry. I could not read them at all.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Don't count your change too fast boys... the Shtick will be there on Sunday.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road

Unhappy

And I was stuck here, having to go hit balls at Kevin Haime's.... argggg.. I'll have to clean you guys at the first OG Tour event...

Dan... If I take pictures of the course in Costa Rica, are you interested in getting them for a post???
    nice_lag
    Almonte

schmed
    Just letting everyone know, that Mapleview has been open since Wednesday. I played there yesterday and the course is good shape....considering the time of year. The greens of course leave a lot to be desired but they were still not that bad.

Putter Spirit is on a distinguished road

Talking

For those interested I had the opportunity to play Casselview yesterday on a gorgious albeit windy day. The course is in great condition for the time of year all greens are open and they faired well over the winter season. fairways are soft but thats to be expected. Survied the day without any soakers so in my opinion good shape. Greens play faster than expected. Play now and your givin a pass for an additional free round. Plan on returning Wendsday. Very enjoyable for the first out of the year.

Steve D

pakenham

well..we have opened all 27, no temporaries and all tees are in play with only oneexception....number 3 island tee is closed.
    greens are cut, tees are being cut on monday and come this thursday the 18th, i will be lowering the height of cut on all the greens.
    i played calabogie and it is in better shape than years b4...

ahh..golf.... i love it...

steve

Talking

Well, I played Nation yesterday (Saturday), and the course was in pretty good condition considering it was the second day of the year it was open.

The greens were in pretty good shape, it kinda reminded me of the conditions last summer where we didn't have any rain and there were scorch marks in the fairways, and a little on the greens. There was also still some snow on the course, normally to the sides of the greens, I splashed a few shots into the snowbanks, but I'm sure they will be gone within a week.

But all around, it was in great condition for this time of year.

I also passed by Emerald Links Friday afternoon, and they were open, and also look to be in amazing shape. I could not see any snow surrounding the greens like at Nation, and the greens looked to be in tremendous shape.

Thumbs up pakenham

Just got back from Pakenham..........

After last night rain it was pretty soggy. BUT it was playable. Greeens were in very good condition for this time of year. No carts were allowed out on the course and we all know this is good thing at this time of year. Keeps the mud piles from forming. Was pretty happy with the conditions.

Also..........beer cart was out in force...........although only on cart paths.

Should be at Manderley sometime during the week.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

Thumbs up Cedar Glen

I played Cedar Glen today. The course was pretty wet from all the rain last night. The greens were very good, the greens at Emerald Links look the same. If the greens are as good as these are for this early all over Ottawa we are in for some good golf this season....man it felt good to be out there. Nothing beats watching a chip in from off the green or a well placed tee shot

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Cedarhill

Was out at Cedarhill today in the late afternoon.

Like everywhere else, it was pretty wet, really wet if you count my three balls in the water on 16! The greens were in really good shape, tho a little furry.

It was good to get out, a chance to try my new clubs in the dirt. Here's to many more!

Cheers
    Colby

Andru

Canadian

I played the Canadian this weekend.

OK Let me first say I wasn't expecting much. But it was bad. I'd say 8 of the 18 were playable, nice fairways seasonal greens. That rest.......... terrible. In spots I couldn't tell the difference between the fairway and rough.

This isn't bad in itself the fact that they were chargin the full 40+ bucks was ridiculous. I understand they're making monumetal improvements but give us a break on the price or stay closed. We quit after 15 because the last three holes looked even worse. If I paid 30-35 bucks I wouldn't have felt so bad.

Give candian a few months. It should be good when it's done.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

cloverdale

Played Clovedale yesterday - Sunday.

Fairways were very soggy due to heavy rains.

Greens were exceptional - freshly cut, completely green, not even one spot of winter kill - truely mid-season form.

kp1tt$

Smile

I played the back nine at Emerald Links this afternoon. Greens were in excellant condition for this time of year and the fairways were nice and dry. Very enjoyable afternoon nine!

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

Post Cloverdale Links

Played Cloverdale on Sunday. An earlier post indicated that the course was wet ... The front nine was a washout, in my humble opinion. The back nine is a little better drained, made it a little easier to stay dry...

Agree completely with the 'mid season" condition of the greens. I've never seen greens in that kind of shape for litterally first thing in the year.

I kept asking myself whether the course would be deemed playable given the same "soggyness" following a hard rainstorm???

Talking with the rest of my group, we agreed that the courses really shouldn't be opened until they are fully playable... However, we have to remember the impact of the all-mighty dollar.

Had a good time, played well for first thing in the season...I'll be back for a dry round later in the season.

Cheers,
    Last edited by donh; 04-18-2002 at 03:15 PM.

I played on Sunday at Pakenham. It was really too wet to play "properly". I have not seen so many plugged balls before! We had a blast. I am glad they were open

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road

Talking Nation

I played at Nation yesterday, course is very dry! Only 1 or 2 holes that are still a little wet at the bottom of some big hills. The greens were in pretty good shape as well, a little long and bumpy but that is the usual for this time of year. It was nice to finally get out!!!

9 Iron Christian is on a distinguished road
    I played Greensmere late this afternoon and was shocked at how good the conditions were. Only the back nine holes were open but they were very dry! Tee boxes were amazing and the greens were in excellent shape. Fairways and greens have already been mowed! I have never seen such great conditions this early. Did not even get my shoes dirty. Congratulations to the Greens for the strategic location of drainage and the liberal use of sand for drainage purposes. The course is off to a tremendous start and the remaining nine are likely to be open on the weekend.

P.S. Good on the Greens for waiting to open the front nine until they know no damage will be done to the course!

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

course conditions

I played Emerald Linkx today. Very surprising conditions for this time of year. Greens were spectacular and maybe better then last year mid-season. Fairways are very dry and in good shape. Excess water comes into play on only 1 hole(#8) but it is quickly being drained. My only complaint is the price- $41.00 bones (including GST) is way too much!!!

I am beginning to wonder if some courses are taken advantage of the climbing green fee rates @ more exclusive tracks to raise their prices. I hope my fellow green fee and walk-on pals maintain some sort of reasonable degree of return on their investment ie. swift pace of play, enforced etiquette, conditions and challenge relative to the price point etc...Lets not let ourselves be taken advantage of or unfairly gouged just because we are constantly frothing at the mouth for a t time.

Andru

I Agree

I felt taken last weekend. My emotions got the better of me and I paid it, But I can guarantee they ( the track I played ) won't get another penny from me this summer and probably never again.

There's alot of beautiful courses in this city. I believe most have fair green fees. If you've ever played in Toronto this place is a bargain!

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

Early Discounts

I agree with Andru... I'd like to know where you played (so I can avoid it for a while) so, let's try something different...

Is there anyone out there who has experienced an early-season discount? I played CDL last week on a coupon and I'm glad for the coupon.

Cheers, and keep 'em in the short grass.

Don

2 Iron JimmyW is on a distinguished road JimmyW's Avatar

Re: course conditions

Originally posted by clankoffdatee
    My only complaint is the price- $41.00 bones (including GST) is way too much!!!
    $17.50 @ Metcalfe
    $21.00 @ Emerald
    $16.50 @ Falcon Ridge

Thank You OGC!

JW

Thread Information