CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: matt cooke

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

matt cooke

he is very good at accidentally hurting other teams star players

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Obviously this incident was unintentional. You'd have to be pretty precise to target a player's achilles with your skate blade. That's not saying previous incidents were in the same category. I don't agree with Melnyk making the comments he did about the incident. I've watched the replay many times, as have many analysts. Nobody, including the NHL think he should be suspended with the exception of Eugene and perhaps other Sens staff. I understand being upset that their star player is gone for the season, but complaining about the other player is not really warranted.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I don't think this was dirty either, but his history denies him the benefit of the doubt. He will always, in any incident, be presumed guilty until proven innocent.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    He was clearly trying to use his left leg to pin Karlsson against the boards and unfortunately his skate came down in a bad spot. It was an accident and Sens nation is going bonkers over this. Injuries happen, it's part of the game.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It may not have been intentional but it was reckless.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Well, the Sens are my second favorite team, Karlsson one of my fav players and Cooke is one of the biggest dbags in the league. With that disclosure aside, I think this could have been an accident but Cooke is responsible for causing that accident. His skate blade has no business in the air like that.

Imo, the NHL wheel of justice got it wrong again, Cooke should have been suspended for lifting his skate and causing this "accidental" injury.

Too bad Ottawa doesn't have any goons to put on the ice for when these two teams meet.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Suspended for lifting his skate? Why do you think his skate came off the ice?
    Because he was trying to pin Karlsson and Karlsson's strength and speed forced him to try and gain extra leverage. He lifted his leg and at some point had to put it back down.
    After 2 years without a roughing penalty, why do you think Cooke suddenly decided "I am going to stomp on Karlsson"?
    I t wasn't a dirty game, it wasn't a rough game, it wasn't even a very intense game...

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Just like your stick you should be in control of your skate blades. Even if you accidently injure someone you should be responsible even if it was not your intention to injure the other player.

Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    Suspended for lifting his skate? Why do you think his skate came off the ice?
    Because he was trying to pin Karlsson and Karlsson's strength and speed forced him to try and gain extra leverage.
    Exactly. Cooke's too slow to position his body to pin Karlsson so he used his skates. Lifting your skate like that is a dangerous play. Where else have you seen hockey players lift their skate knee-high to pin a guy??? If Cooke's going to do that he should deal with the consequences (suspension) if his skate slashes the back of a players leg. Too bad the NHL didn't see it that way, but that's how I see it.

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    I've played pretty high level hockey and bringing a guy into the boards like Cooke did with Karlsson is not uncommon. Bringing your leg up to drive a player into the boards is exactly what should happen when you pin a player properly. Cooke did everything right on that play, avoiding hitting Karlsson from behind or boarding him, and Karlsson took the hit exactly as he should have. It was an accident for sure, it is a low percentage chance of an achilles injury happening in this circumstance or any other circumstance in hockey but precautions can be made in terms of equipment. Kevlar socks should be worn by players in the NHL. They know how often players get their skates sharpened, some players get them sharpened between each period. This is not the first laceration to happen, and the problem seems to be increasing each season. I doubt Karlsson was wearing Kevlar socks, not blaming him, but it may have helped. Hard to say when 70% of his Achilles was cut on the play.
    I like to call it a power fade

Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    I've played pretty high level hockey and bringing a guy into the boards like Cooke did with Karlsson is not uncommon. Bringing your leg up to drive a player into the boards is exactly what should happen when you pin a player properly.
    If this is accurate, I'll admit I'm wrong and change my mind about Cooke being suspended. I've only played non-contact pickup hockey against senior citizens who never lift their skates

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    They lift the leg for leverage. At the speed that they going into the boards it almost acts as a shock absorber for the player being hit. If you leave both skates on the ice and pin at high speed it increases the chances of you going into the boards harder with your opponent and possibly making a bad hit from behind, even accidentally. It's definitely a tough situation and a circumstance like this most likely won't happen again for quite some time. Definitely interesting that Cooke is in the middle of it with his reputation, quite the coincidence but I don't see him at fault this time around. Most hockey players will side with Cooke here because they've made or taken that exact same hit.
    I like to call it a power fade

I've played pretty high level hockey and bringing a guy into the boards like Cooke did with Karlsson is not uncommon. Bringing your leg up to drive a player into the boards is exactly what should happen when you pin a player properly. Cooke did everything right on that play, avoiding hitting Karlsson from behind or boarding him, and Karlsson took the hit exactly as he should have. It was an accident for sure, it is a low percentage chance of an achilles injury happening in this circumstance or any other circumstance in hockey but precautions can be made in terms of equipment. Kevlar socks should be worn by players in the NHL. They know how often players get their skates sharpened, some players get them sharpened between each period. This is not the first laceration to happen, and the problem seems to be increasing each season. I doubt Karlsson was wearing Kevlar socks, not blaming him, but it may have helped. Hard to say when 70% of his Achilles was cut on the play.
    I've also played as high as semi-pro, and this is the proper technique for pinning a player against the boards. Multiple current and ex-NHL defensemen actually commented on this incident and said they've done the exact same thing when they play/played.

The Sens organization making a huge fuss about no suspension is as bad as being sore losers. It makes them look very bad, especially when the owner of the team speaks out as he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    I've also played as high as semi-pro, and this is the proper technique for pinning a player against the boards. Multiple current and ex-NHL defensemen actually commented on this incident and said they've done the exact same thing when they play/played.

The Sens organization making a huge fuss about no suspension is as bad as being sore losers. It makes them look very bad, especially when the owner of the team speaks out as he has done.
    I think every team in the league would have acted the same way - I don't think the Sens are any different in this regard. A lot would act worse. Remember when Hossa hit Berard accidentally with his stick and Pat Quinn's comments?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Chris Neil will fix Cooke
    accidentally of course....
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I think every team in the league would have acted the same way - I don't think the Sens are any different in this regard. A lot would act worse. Remember when Hossa hit Berard accidentally with his stick and Pat Quinn's comments?
    Yes and I also remember how much everyone thought Pat Quinn was a douche bag. I don't think Eugene wants to be labelled to be in that same category....

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I wish Cooke wouldn't have turtled and accepted his fate from Neil at the end of the game. Intentional or not, I still think skate blades need to stay on the ice and his foot came down with some pressure and force in every replay I saw. Cooke has always been, and will always be a dirty player regardless of the ast 2 years. His record speaks for itself.

As for SENS nation being up in arms, if that happened to one of the Sedin twins, or to Stamkos or Crosby their respective teams would be ** too. It's doubly frustrating for SENS fans when he was well on his way to winning a second Norris trophy and the SENS had just lost Spezza for the year.

A promising season down the drain. At elast the young guys will see lots of playing time now it's just to bad Alfie may end his career on this note.

Go SENS!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I wish Cooke wouldn't have turtled and accepted his fate from Neil at the end of the game. Intentional or not, I still think skate blades need to stay on the ice and his foot came down with some pressure and force in every replay I saw. Cooke has always been, and will always be a dirty player regardless of the ast 2 years. His record speaks for itself.

As for SENS nation being up in arms, if that happened to one of the Sedin twins, or to Stamkos or Crosby their respective teams would be ** too. It's doubly frustrating for SENS fans when he was well on his way to winning a second Norris trophy and the SENS had just lost Spezza for the year.

A promising season down the drain. At elast the young guys will see lots of playing time now it's just to bad Alfie may end his career on this note.

Go SENS!
    Well said!

Tank this season, top 5 pick, Sens could be a dynasty.

The pittsburgh model

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Most hockey players will side with Cooke here because they've made or taken that exact same hit.
    So how many of those who have made or taken this hit have had their achilles' tendon sliced? Probably none.

To me the way Cooke thrust his leg down after pinning Karlsson looked unusual. I'm not saying he intended to slice Karlssons leg but he certainly didn't do anything to avoid his foot making contact with Karlsson.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I thought both skates are supposed to stay on the ice at all times? He might be trying to slice the guy’s neck or wrists. Probably not. It’s Neil and he plays for the Sens.

Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    He's moving out of the way to avoid getting hit by a shot. Be realistic!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

1) This discussion happened over a month ago.
    2) Neil is like 4-5 feet in front of the goalie and his skate is farther from Rask then the picture makes it seem.
    3) Matt Cooke is still a weasel.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    No no no! Neil is trying to sidekick Rask in the throat.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Yes...a typical hockey play, like the one Chara put on Pacioretty.

he's taking a leak.

Thread Information